weird problem with my 5150 - loss of low end and volume

blckbldng

• Members

So yesterday I plugged in my beloved 5150 and I noticed right away that something was wrong.

I got almost no low end left and I have to turn post gain way up to be loud. Usually I have it on 1/3rd

I cut presence and treeble completely down, maxxed the bass and resonance but it still sounds wrong

please help

• Members

Originally posted by blckbldng

So yesterday I plugged in my beloved 5150 and I noticed right away that something was wrong.

I got almost no low end left and I have to turn post gain way up to be loud. Usually I have it on 1/3rd

I cut presence and treeble completely down, maxxed the bass and resonance but it still sounds wrong

please help

i'm willing to bet bad power tubes.

• Members
Originally posted by blckbldng

Ok I just checked cables and guitar. No problem there.

Probably time for a retube.

Actually it still had all the original tubes.

Isnt the 5150 an amp without bias pot ? SO I guess I can just buy some tubes and pop them in ?

it's a fixed bias, so you can swap them in and out with no worries :)

• Members

I tried running it at half power, pulling the 2 outer tubes and then the 2 inner ones. I put also the switch to 4 Ohm instead of 8.

It seemed worse with only the outer ones running.

So I guess I will change tubes.

It had SOVTEK 6L6W XT, I think I will try TAD RT814 6L6WGC-STR
and see whats what

• Members
Originally posted by JerryP

Dirty loop jacks. Plug a cord in and out of the loop jacks a few times and see if it helps. You can also switch the loop off using the footswitch.

Jerry

+100

Listen to Jerry!! :D He bailed me out of this same situation about a year ago. Thanks to his expertese I have helped others with this same situation. Also giving credit where credit is due of course.

Thank you again for helping me out with the coutless problems I have had in the past Jerry. You the man!! :thu:

Don't forget that I have some NOS tubes with your name on them if you ever need them. :)

• Members

Dirty loop jacks. Plug a cord in and out of the loop jacks a few times and see if it helps. You can also switch the loop off using the footswitch.

Jerry

WOW THANKS A LOT !!! IT WORKS NOW

Its the best advice I got in the 5 years I joined this forum

:eek: :eek: :thu: :thu: :thu:

but there must be some real problem with the loop. I tried to clean it but when I unplug the footswitch, the loop is reconnected.

• Members

You can give the loop jacks a quick shot of contact cleaner and plug a cord in a few times to clean them. That usually works. If they're real bad they need to be replaced. You can also plug a short jumper cord in the loop jacks.
Jerry

• Members

You can give the loop jacks a quick shot of contact cleaner and plug a cord in a few times to clean them. That usually works. If they're real bad they need to be replaced. You can also plug a short jumper cord in the loop jacks.

Jerry

weird, the jumper cord trick does not work, oh well, Ill just keep the footswitch plugged

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Jerry

Sorry to resurect an old threat but I just came across this and this saved my amp. I had tried all new tubes and was thinking about taking my amp to the shop. THANK YOU JERRY!!!

• Members

Sorry to resurect an old threat but I just came across this and this saved my amp. I had tried all new tubes and was thinking about taking my amp to the shop. THANK YOU JERRY!!!

Wow. Someone used the search function and handled a problem all by themselves.

Very nice.

:citizenkaneslowclap:

Archived