Hughes & Kettner Trilogy - I am loving it! Review

JuneBugHunter

• Members

Ok I ordered a Hughes & Kettner Trilogy on September 2nd and it arrived Wednesday morning.

Opened up the box, it was bigger, heavier and better looking than I imagined...but that stuff doesn't matter...

After frantiically rewiring my cab from stereo to mono I plugged it in and started strumming a few chords on the clean channel and started adjusting the controls.

First thing I noticed. It pretty much sounds good no matter where the controls are. I've been using mesa gear for about 4 years exclusively (50/50+Studio Pre, Mark IV, TriAxis+2:90) and I couldn't remember the last time I was instantly gratified with the sound of an amp...Mesa's are friggen hard to tinker with, I don't even want to think about the time I gigged with my Mark IV and my settings card got lost. Anyway, this is no mesa boogie. Which was good I wanted a change...

Clean Channel:

So the clean is freaking wonderful. Especially with my strat. I can honestly say and other people confirmed...it's the best sounding cleans I have ever created. The Sparkle sounds great but I find that turning it off is perfect when I need to cut off some highs to compliment vocals.

Crunch Channel:

At first I wasn't to sure about this channel without the boost, it took me a while to find just the right amount of gain and eq but after a few minutes of tweaking I was getting an awesome "crunch" sound. It's perfect for strumming chords without sounding muddy, it cuts through and is clear but not painful to the ears at all...it's great sounding low-gain tone that I could never come close to with my TriAxis, I got roughly that tone on Rhy2 on the Mark IV but it was always a little too harsh.

Now once I dialed in this setting I hit the boost and I was getting amazing blues lead tone. Sort of the messy, lot of mid-range gainy blues is the best description I can think of.

Lead Channel:

The high gain sounded similar to a JCM2000 DSL I used to play but had some unique characteristics. I sounds like no amp I've ever played but sounds great. I guess it sounds like an H&K and I like that. The lead tones are extremely awesome and fat.

Ultra Channel:

Sounds great. It's not extremely high-gain but it's a lot more than I use. The only real use I have for this channel is when I need the extra hint of volume and gain. I play some moderately high-gain stuff and I still have no reason to turn it past 7-8.

On all channels the amp sounds great playing chords. It's as if I can always hear individual notes in chords. It exactly the sound I wanted and although I will miss that ole' Mesa sound I was so used to this amp impresses me so much with new kinds of tone I doubt I'll care too much. I spent about $2k on my TriAxis+2:90 used. I spent $1,500 on this amp new and I personally love the tone way more, saved $500 and have pretty much all features I had with the TriAxis.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Mark IV but overall am more happy about the H&K.

I know I am comparing Apples and Oranges but next time you are looking for a new amp do not over look it. I was almost expecting to be dissapointed and thought about maybe ordering a TriAmp or Duotone instead but I made the right choice. So find one in a store and try it!

• Members

Yeah they are pretty huge. Mine's wider than the 212 it sits on.

And you didn't mention the awesomeness of midi switching. I can use my gt3 to switch to whatever channel I want for a patch, with boost and sparkle switches on or off, effects loop on or off. So conveniant not to have to hit the patch change switch and the amp footswitch seperately.

And at least show pictures of the rig it's in. I'll start:

gear3.jpg

• Members

Here are your stinkin clips...

http://www.junebughunter.net/hughes-kettner-trilogy.mp3

Part 1:

Clean channel with sparkle

Part 2:

Clean channel no sparkle in drop D (coheed song)

Part 3:

Something I do whenever I tune to drop D same setting as part 2

Part 4:

Blues on clean channel

Part 5:

Crunch channel similar to part 4

part 6:

Out of tune guitar through crunch channel

part 7

Crunch with boost

part 8:

Lead channel clip

part 9:

Lead channel with volume rolled off on guitar

Signal chain:

Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe 60th Anniversary with S-1 switch

Monster Cable

Hughes & Kettner Trilogy

Monster Speaker Cable

Shure SM57

Monster XLR cable

RME FireFace 800

Powerbook G4

Logic 7.1

Bounced to wave then converted to MP3 in iTunes and uploaded. No eq, compression, reverb, delay...completely try.

You bastards better be greatful I changed the strings on my guitar just to do this (broke a string yesterday).

So excuse my sub-par guitar playing, out of tune clips and limited recording skills. I'd say it doesn't sound half bad though

Enjoy

• Members

Originally posted by Sparkytfl

Part 8: Steve Vai - Blowfish (from fire garden, about 43 seconds in)?

Wow, had no idea but I just listened to that song and that's exactly the part but faster than how I played it.

I listened to and played Vai so much growing up I think little things like that are just embedded in my playing.

But I do believe the progression is pretty standard.

I can't wait to actually record a song with this amp.

• Members

Originally posted by BrokenRomeo

How is the amp in terms of noise on the lead and ultra channels?

It's pretty damn quiet. Way quieter than my TriAxis + 2:90. If I crank up the volume on the amp and turn the gain all the way up on the ultra channel there is some hum but nothing noticable in contrast to how loud the amp is.

I'd say the amp is pretty much as quiet as they get.

• 7 months later...

Archived