POD 2.0 settings!

AnabolicProtein

• Members

Fellow POD 2.0-users,

I purchased a POD 2.0 to go along with my Ibanez RG370, but I can't really dial in some kickass settings yet.

Can you guys familiar with POD 2 give me some good guidelines and how to set the knobs (amp sim, cab model etc) for these sounds, or at least something like them:

Guns N' Roses - I'd love to have some dirty Slash sound.

Judas Priest / Dio - I have a hard time getting a good crunch with lots of detail definition without a dead trebly tone

Pantera / Metallica - I want a good preset for this.

Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall tone. How much gain? What amp setting? Cab? Delay? etc..

Note that I don't have MIDI connector or an adapter so I can't go into the tone web sites to download. I need to dial in manually.

Thanks a bunch

• Members

With my old pod 2.0, I used to skate around using the mesa boogie and the marshall patch.

Hit manual mode.

The amp sim nob (I can't remember the names there) was either all the way at 3 o clock, or the amp just below.

The cab sim, hold down the tap key and move the effect knob to select other cabs.

The better ones are those just before 6o clock and the V30 on at 3 o clock.

Keep the bass control down, knock off your reverb and mids & trebble to taste.

Also, if recording or headphones, keep the gain control down as its easy to make that thing buzzy.

Hope this helps.

Jon

• Members

Just go to line6.com.

There's a section there where people post specific sounds...like you enter a guitarist or band name and you get a ton of sounds based on that player or band.

I haven't been there in a long time, but that's where I hooked up this Vai sound...

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/MikeD/LimitedAbility_NotFinished.mp3

• Members

Originally posted by gennation

Just go to line6.com.

There's a section there where people post specific sounds...like you enter a guitarist or band name and you get a ton of sounds based on that player or band.

I haven't been there in a long time, but that's where I hooked up this Vai sound...

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/MikeD/LimitedAbility_NotFinished.mp3

Note that I don't have MIDI connector or an adapter so I can't go into the tone web sites to download. I need to dial in manually.

:(

• Members

Originally posted by AnabolicProtein

quote:Note that I don't have MIDI connector or an adapter so I can't go into the tone web sites to download. I need to dial in manually.

:(

I don't have MIDI either. I dialed it in by hand and did some tweeking from there.

Even in this day and age of techology, doing it the manual way is OK too ;)

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I had one for a few months and couldn't get it to sound good. Another former guitar player in my band insisted on using one and he sounded like shite too. Good luck, but think you're on an impossible quest.

Whatever. :rolleyes: The POD2 is a GREAT headphone amp and good recording tool. Why be a dickhead about it if you don't have anything positive to say?

Constructive input: When dialing in artist tones to practice with, try using the amp models as a guide along with what you know about the artist's rig. For example for Slash, try a Marshall model as a starting point. Also, the MIDI interface is worth the $$$, since you can use the Computer editor to more easily do "deep editing" of parameters that is a pain from the hardwar interface.

• Members

I had one for a few months and couldn't get it to sound good. Another former guitar player in my band insisted on using one and he sounded like {censored}e too. Good luck, but think you're on an impossible quest.

This is an asinine statement. I have one, and it provides a lot of great sounds/tones for a little cash, and allows easy latenight wailing and recording.

I have some killer patches, including some used by Meshuggah (prior to Vetta usage, they used Pod Pros). PM me if you're interested.

• Members

Originally posted by Elric

Whatever.
:rolleyes:
The POD2 is a GREAT headphone amp and good recording tool. Why be a dickhead about it if you don't have anything positive to say?

Constructive input: When dialing in artist tones to practice with, try using the amp models as a guide along with what you know about the artist's rig. For example for Slash, try a Marshall model as a starting point. Also, the MIDI interface is worth the $$$, since you can use the Computer editor to more easily do "deep editing" of parameters that is a pain from the hardwar interface.

I'll say whatever I want to say. His question is somewhat like saying I have a big piece of dog poop here and no matter what spices I add, it still doesn't taste good. Just trying to save him some trouble. I gave it three months of tweaking and got nothing useful. Other guitar player in my band used one and I got lots of comments about how bad his tone was even though he was an excellent player.

• Members

I'll say whatever I want to say. His question is somewhat like saying I have a big piece of dog poop here and no matter what spices I add, it still doesn't taste good. Just trying to save him some trouble. I gave it three months of tweaking and got nothing useful. Other guitar player in my band used one and I got lots of comments about how bad his tone was even though he was an excellent player.

And here's what I say: either you have no {censored}ing clue how to dial in a good sound on the Pod, you have tin ears, or you're a corksniffer. Running a properly dialed in Pod into a tube power amp sounds pretty killer to me....I still have mine, even though I have a Mark III and a Laney.

• Members

Originally posted by Ultron

And here's what I say: either you have no {censored}ing clue how to dial in a good sound on the Pod, you have tin ears, or you're a corksniffer. Running a properly dialed in Pod into a tube power amp sounds pretty killer to me....I still have mine, even though I have a Mark III and a Laney.

Might sound killer to you, sounds awful to me, and a lot of other people judging by the comments I got on our other guitar player.

• Members

Might sound killer to you, sounds awful to me, and a lot of other people judging by the comments I got on our other guitar player.

A lot of other people, you mean the corksniffers who scoff any anything digital or solid state? The people who hate diodes in the signal path, yet put a pedal in front of their amp?

I'm no Line6 flag waiver, but for it's price point and features (portable, versatile, low volume tone), and keeping it's usage in context (late night recording/practice), it's a decent product. Meshuggah found them good enough to record and tour with.

I swear, if it had "Diezel" on the bean instead of POD, people on HCAF would be furiously masturbating over it.

• Members

Based on the original text of the post, I'd say the guy seems to be using it as a practice tool/headphone amp type rig. He didn't say he wanted to start a band with it. For that type of use, the POD is till a top 20% product and better than nearly any tube amp. And even if he is using it as a preamp MANY people out there have great experiences with it. Regardless, given the wide range of opinions, telling him to ditch his new piece of gear and give up hope is an unwarranted and asinine way to respond, IMHO.

As for you and your co-guitarist, so you guys can't make one sound decent. Thousands of people have managed to do so and there is a lot of history, professional use, and opinion to the contrary. So from most people's perspective your analogy is really not appropriate at all, i.e. by saying it is analogous to a "piece of dog poop" you are presupposing your conclusion.

Also, you're saying this with no knowledge of what the original poster's intended application is... which again, just looks like a disgruntled person taking a pot shot at the unit without any regard for actually being constructive.

So, given all this, I'd say, you're either misguided or intentionally being an ass, neither of which is helpful.

Archived