Dimarzio Super Distortion vs. Super 3

troublehead

• Members

Originally posted by troublehead

Anyone use both of these and able to give a comparison. They have really similar frequency curves and output according to the site.

The two pickups are pretty different. The SD is big and fat. It thickens up brighter amps nicely, but it's a little on the flabby side once you compare it to the Super 3, which has TONS of mids, nice, tight bass, and the highs are rolled off a decent amount. So when I use my Super 3, I turn up the bass, keep the mids a little lower than usual, crank the highs pretty high, and trim it all up with the presence knob. The Super 3 sounds awesome with Greenbacks. Gives them a thicker rasp. With V30s, the Super 3 is just massive with a tight midrange grind.

• Members

Originally posted by Kung-Fool

How does the Super 3 compare to the JB output wise? The SD website doesn't show the actual output(mV) of their pickups like the Dimarzio site does.

Not sure, but if I take mine out, I'll sent it to you for a test run. I keep switching between those and my Iommi pups. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

The two pickups are pretty different. The SD is big and fat. It thickens up brighter amps nicely, but it's a little on the flabby side once you compare it to the Super 3, which has TONS of mids, nice, tight bass, and the highs are rolled off a decent amount. So when I use my Super 3, I turn up the bass, keep the mids a little lower than usual, crank the highs pretty high, and trim it all up with the presence knob. The Super 3 sounds awesome with Greenbacks. Gives them a thicker rasp. With V30s, the Super 3 is just massive with a tight midrange grind.

+1 This is a great description.

• Members

if i recall right, the jb is around 16.4k. the super 3 is around like 20k >_>

it does have massive mids, and it's pretty tight. since my ibanez is all maple, it is stupidly tight. the rolled off highs makes the pup pretty dark, so my ibanez sounds pretty neutral now =P

it sounds pretty thick and articulate when playing leads. its lead tone is definately closer to the dimarzio breed then a steve's special. don't expect super fluid legato tones from the super 3. that's not what it's for ;O

rhythm tones are quite crushing through my engl. power chords sound huge. single note rhythm lines, as found in death metal, sound pretty thick. it MIGHT have just a bit of flub, but i think it's just be my imagination as my chops are nowhere tight enough to fully master it >_>

• Members

oh yea, i completely forgot to compare the super 3 to the super distortion :o

the super distortion has a lot of bass in it. the super 3 is sorta like a super distortion with about 60% of the bass, 70% of the highs, and 150% of the mids. =P

comparing with the jb's output might be a stretch, because the super 3 seems so much louder due to all the mids.

• Members
Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

+1

• Members

Seymour duncan pickups are usually brighter

the Dimarzio Distortion line of pickups seem to fit the bill better for thicker punchy tones with calssic midrange all good rock to metal tones need.

Even if you scoop the amps mids !

The Super 3 is a bit brighter than the Super D . But not by much

The JB is a good pickup just not as warm sounding as most Dimarzio's

• Members

I'm somewhat skeptical of DiMarzios output measurements in millivolts. What I mean is, doesn't that measurement all depend on how hard a note is picked? Unless they had some robot picking a string with the exact same intensity each time a pickup was measured.

The Super 3 is great, can't say enough good things about it. Paired with a Super 2 in the nek? Awesome. Never played a straight Super Dist. though.

Archived