Ampeg vl-1002

fwaxestrat

• Members

it'll get great clean tones at high volumes with 6550s instead of EL34s... i had one too, and wasn't sure what to think about it at first. it had tons of gain, and sounded pretty decent, but kinda... nasal, and clean headroom sucked.

then i put 6550s in, and the headroom went through the roof, the lows got huge and tight, the gain got chunky and mean, and it was a total monster of an amp.

i wish i still had it... sold all my gear years ago when i went off to europe.

• Members

I always chime in on an ampeg vl thread! I own a vl-502 and it is the basis of my bands "sound". I don't run it in the heavy metal realm, but it has a pretty mean, vintage-style crunch when run with the preamp and gain halfway, master at atleast a third to half up.

The clean channel is hardly clean, but sounds damn good and responds to picking dynamics quite well. I use the clean channel as a light crunch and a od pedal form there to get me to ac/dc-ish style and then channel 2 goes from there.

I am trying to replicate a thick, crunchy, jcm-ish tone and have been very happy. This amp has more potential for the price than alot of people realize, experiment w/ the knobs. Also the jj el34l's are working out just fine for me in this amp, though I may experiment more w/ preamp tubes. Hope you enjoy it!

Archived