Any yas like Carlos Cavazo or his sound?

17 Tubes

• Members

I think he was pretty good, Didn't get the heavy hitta tag of many other 80's guitar shredders.

But his album was the first "metal" album to hit Billboard #1. And a nice run of concerts parties and babes, I am sure.

SO what do you think of him....playing and tone.

Might get some flamers, sure, that's okay, but don't see how you couldn't like him just a little bit. Maybe he wasn't Randy or Vitto or Eddie or George, but he did pretty dman good anyway, just goes to show ya.

I'm looking for info on his gear....feel free to chime in if your a fanboy...Marshalls I take it?:D

• Members

I never thought Cavazo was an excellent lead player...Good but not in the league of the other top dogs of teh day but I definitely dug his tone! I thought his sound was better then a lot of other guys out at the time. That said, I'm pretty sure that cavazos tone was a marshall and a pedal. I read it a long time ago but I forget what he was using.

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

I never thought Cavazo was an excellent lead player...Good but not in the league of the other top dogs of teh day but I definitely dug his tone! I thought his sound was better then a lot of other guys out at the time. That said, I'm pretty sure that cavazos tone was a marshall and a pedal. I read it a long time ago but I forget what he was using.

Yeah...I don't think he would say he wa seither, huh?

Just a dude. Lucky.

I wonder if anyone has met him.....if he's cool or what.

• Members

The last time I saw Quiet Riot in thier original line up a few years ago in some bar/club, I saw Carlos using JCM900's. They sounded pretty damn good and for a minute I was quite impressed but then again I'm going to assume they are modded. I have never heard another JCM900 sound like his 900's that's for sure.

• Members

Originally posted by M-III

The last time I saw Quiet Riot in thier original line up a few years ago in some bar/club, I saw Carlos using JCM900's. They sounded pretty damn good and for a minute I was quite impressed but then again I'm going to assume they are modded. I have never heard another JCM900 sound like his 900's that's for sure.

How did you see the original lineup a few years ago? Randy Rhoads has been dead for over 20 years.

• Members

I'm not too familiar with that band but I saw a video of him playing the US festival (?) when i was looking for van halen US festival video footage and was really impressed. A solid rock player.

I was especially impressed when he got up on kevin's (? singer?) shoulders and played. i could not DO that. I'd be too busy holding my arms out for balance.

Thats all i know about him or the band.

• Members

Originally posted by facefirst

How did you see the original lineup a few years ago? Randy Rhoads has been dead for over 20 years.

EXCUSE ME, the original lineup circa 1980's. :p:D I had forgotten Randy was in QR before they got huge, it's a shame he never tasted success that was to follow with QR while he was working with Ozzy. What was cool about that show I saw though, they did do a tribute song to Randy. Very cool, they did put on a hellavu show too, they were very tight and had a good sound guy to boot.

• Members

Carlos was pretty good for what he was. After all he was second choice to Rhoads after he left for Oz. Im pretty sure most of QR's first release was written by Rhoads as well. However he had his own style which was not of the same caliber as RR but he still rocked. Now Kevin D. was a complete waste.

• Members

Originally posted by M-III

EXCUSE ME, the original lineup circa 1980's.
:p:D
I had forgotten Randy was in QR before they got huge, it's a shame he never tasted success that was to follow with QR while he was working with Ozzy. What was cool about that show I saw though, they did do a tribute song to Randy. Very cool, they did put on a hellavu show too, they were very tight and had a good sound guy to boot.

I'm just busting your balls in typical music nerd fashion. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by thenine

one thing about Carlos - always too much reverb in his lead tones. Drives me nuts when I hear it. He played mostly Gibsons back in the day I think. Then he has played Jackson soloists for many years now.

I think Washburns on the first two relaeses As I used too have a neck thru Washburn Explorer like his in 84 and 85.

• Members

Originally posted by bmf5150

well about 2 years ago my friend band opened for them.carlos was playing a dsl.i thought the tone was better than what i remember on the album.

When QR came thru here about that time, they rented the amp backline. I guess all they carried were gtr's. The club owner called up looking for an Ampeg SVT stack and two DSL stacks.

I never cared for his tone, sounded like some weird eq filter thing going on or something...

• Members

I played a show with QR over 10 years ago and Carlos was using a jcm 900 with all the controls on 10...he sounded excellent...

It was cool seeing his cream flying v with the snakeskin strap up close sitting on a stand..

when I was around 14 I had the stralicks Carlos instructional..

he used a marshall, mxr pitch transposer, boss heavy metal HM-2, and used the dimarzio super 2 pickup

I understand that's way too much information about Cavazo:eek:

• Members

Before QR, Carlos was in a band called "Snow". I think Kevin & Rudy were in that band also. His tone & playing style was pretty damn good back then too. I'll try to dig out the vinyl tonight. If my memory is still good, there was a pic of Carlos on the back that shows his guitar & rig at that time.

• Members

A friend of mine worked at the original GC back in the early 80's. He said that Randy Rhoads would come in, crank up a stack and wail for awhile. Lynch, Cavazo and all those guys were regulars and were nobody's at the time. What a cool scene that woulda' been.

EVH would come by too, to smoke a doob with the manager. My buddy didn't really care about all this, as he was into reggae!

• Members

Originally posted by robert s

Before QR, Carlos was in a band called "Snow". I think Kevin & Rudy were in that band also. His tone & playing style was pretty damn good back then too. I'll try to dig out the vinyl tonight. If my memory is still good, there was a pic of Carlos on the back that shows his guitar & rig at that time.

I knew Carlos when he was in 'Snow'....'Bang Your Head' is actually an old Snow tune from Carlos originally called "No More Booze"...they were total Van Halen wannabees Carlos was called 'Carlos Van Halen' by most but he was no where near Eddie chop-wise...He used what I used: 2 full 100 watt stacks modded 4-input Marshalls into an echoplex and split to the inputs of the 2 heads though depending on the place I would only run (Carlos did the same) half stack or one stack...but big gigs ran all 4 cabs....Snow covered alot of Sammy Hagar tunes like: 'Red' etc...they also did 'Working Man' from Rush from time to time...

• Members

Originally posted by robert s

Echoes..

YES YES, thats what I remember from when I'd see Snow playing on the Strip.

yea, he played this Charvel or Jackson or Mighty Mite black tele with a floyd or a Mighty Mite tremolo...I cant remember which...I'd like to think I was better but actually at the time I was more in his league chop-wise than the guys I hung with and gigged with at that time in LA scene..

Archived