ZZ Top Tres Hombres gear?

rememberduane

• Members

Obviously that wonderful LP, but what amps? I've heard Tweed Fenders, I've heard Marshall, etc. Whatever it is, it's cranked as hell, but still has this wonderful open and almost spanky quality to the sound, like when he goes into the low part of the riff in Waiting for the Bus.

Anybody know for sure? I'd try searching but.. well.. you know.

• Members

Originally posted by 46&2

He mentioned Tres Hombres & gear specifically in his book... I'll look it up tonight. Considering what everyone says about his tendency to mislead it's probably BS, though
:)

Yeah but IIRC its not too specific. That book is cool and all but it left me a little dissappointed. I could have gone for more gear and less other bullshit.

He has so much more gear than what its that book. I want to go down to Houston and just search through their warehouse... ;)

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

Strats, Tele's, LP's, Tweed Fenders, Marshalls. He doesnt stick to one guitar or amp in the studio. Its always a combination of things.

That said id use an LP or Strat into a Tweed Fender or an Old Marshall and you can get there all day long.
:thu:

Quoted for truth!

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

Must. Devote.Time.To.Read.
:D:cool:

Definitely some good stuff if you're a ZZ fan and I know you are. :thu:

Terry speaks of the horrible hatchet job done to ZZ's music when it was repackaged for CD and box sets. Its a shame that those wondeful old recordings were butchered by the "remastering" done later. Apparently the only way to find the music in the intended form is to buy the old vinyl at used record stores.

I was also suprised to discover that the album Tejas was done partly with SS Vox Super Beatle amps. :eek:

• 12 years later...
  • Members

Hi So sorry to be late here.

I just saw ZZ in WPB Fl,

Oct 20th 2019, I saw them 50 years ago to the day.

Still rocken and better than before.

I saw Orange amps and Marshalls, on stage.

Billy played several guitars,

I think it the fingers, sorry but Billy can play about anything and make it sound like well, Billy

Rock on Texas style.

• 1 month later...

Archived