VanHalen/CNN - news-

Dave Owens

• Members

i have taken a serious beating on this board defending all things EVH.

this is the dumbest fookin thing i've ever seen anyone do. they better not try to put a "reunion" tour package w/ DLR and have wolfie playing bass..

WTF happened to this great band?

• Members

Originally posted by evhfan

i have taken a serious beating on this board defending all things EVH.

this is the dumbest fookin thing i've ever seen anyone do. they better not try to put a "reunion" tour package w/ DLR and have wolfie playing bass..

drugs,money and ego's....

ive seen the real deal 15 times (at least..ive lost count)....but ive only seen Sam-Halen 1 time...im not sure i would go to see this..unless Ed stops being a goon..wouldnt be worth it unless that happens...and i dont see it..if Ed was in shape like he was say 5 years ago or so..yeah.i might..but if its like he was on the last tour..im not about to waste money on crap.

• Members

Hmmmmmm....

Well, Eddie:

1) Can't get along with his singer

2) Can't get along with his replacement singer

3) Can't get along with his wife

4) Can't get along with his bass player

Starting to look like a pattern here.

That said, there are not many rock & roll bands that can rock as good after about 30 years as they could when they were young. Back in the 70's when VanHalen was young and hungry- nobody could touch them.

• Members

Originally posted by GasMask

Hmmmmmm....

Well, Eddie:

That said, there are not many rock & roll bands that can rock as good after about 30 years as they could when they were young. Back in the 70's when VanHalen was young and hungry- nobody could touch them.

I would tend to disagree. I think bands can sound better with age as their playing matures, IF they can keep their heads together. But yeah, there is something to be said for youthful enthusiasm, and VH had that in spades.

It woud have been great to see VH keep it together and play through their 50's like the Stones, Priest, Eagles, and other bands have done. It doesn't look like that will happen. And if it does, it doesn't appear that it will be done with any style or class.

But hey, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Ed will pull himself out of whatever this funk he is in and remind us all of why he was the baddest dude in town in his day. It could still happen.

• Members

i was watching this bootleg dvd last night from San Francisco in 1992...ed was ON FIRE (pun intended)...

i still think he can play if he wants to, ...but having wolfie replace the great MA is the last straw in my book.

(just think, valerie gave birth to the guy that's replacing MA - how dumb is that)

right now sammy is laughing it up

• Members

Originally posted by skibob

So how long will it be untill Eddie and Wolfgang hate each other?

"Wolfie, you've been a bad boy - back to the tour bus! Don't come out until Portland..."

On the flip side, who would let their 15 year old son go on tour with that ol drunk???

• Members

Originally posted by GasMask

Hmmmmmm....

Well, Eddie:

+1

It's one thing if he was just doing a side project with his son, but,...I don't know. The entire saga is becoming more strange as each year passes. VH was god-like to me when I was a teenager, and I think there was a period of time back then when it was they only music I listened to. I've seen them 4 times with Dave and twice with Sammy -- all were great shows. It's hard to capture the energy and drive they had back then, it was magical. I don't think I'll be going to see them if they tour, just wouldn't be the same without Michael.

I prefer to remember them like this:

And like this -- Watch this vid, they all look like they're having so much fun. How did everything go so wrong?:

• Members

i still think he can play if he wants to, ...but having wolfie replace the great MA is the last straw in my book.

it's such a classless move on EVH's part. Michael Anthony was integral to the band and to sack him is just not forgiveable.

I don't think EVH can play at the same level. alcohol and chemotherapy drugs wear down your body, the nerves the muslces the brain cells, everything. its like how old people can't drive because their eyes and their reflexes no longer function. with the alcohol and the cancer drugs, EVH is physically in the shape of a man in his 70s.

• Members

How embarrassing is it when your basslines are so easy a 15 year old can play them? Or can he?

I predict a tour with a LOT of bass flubs. And i know a thing or two about bass flubs!

On the other hand..... I may actually pay to see this tour. I want to see the lil wizard play.
He might embarrass us all.

• Members

Originally posted by gafyagaton

How embarrassing is it when your basslines are so easy a 15 year old can play them? Or can he?

see, thats the thing. alot of people say 'oh michael anthony sucked, anyone can play those basslines, " etc, but i disagree. i thikn he had excellent feel and really held the band tight. He is THE ONLY BASSISST THEY HAVE EVER HAD!!

you could get some virtuoso bassist to play in van halen but i honestly don't think it would make VH sound as good as in their heyday.

• Members
Originally posted by slash81291

I never liked VH. Guy can play, but the music absolutly sucked IMO.

Always love these kinds of pointless posts in thread about specific bands, amps, etc. You don't like the band but feel the need to post saying you think they suck. :freak:

• Members

this is the dumbest thing ever...

which promoters would actually agree to a tour w/ wolfie on bass?

DLR better not friggin agree to tour w/ this lineup...

what a joke

Did you see DLR on TV recently with his medley of banjos and acoustic guitars doing JUMP? He looks like a {censored}in GEEK! I didn't even recognize him.

Archived