Holy Crap!!! My playing endurance has gone out the window!!!

STEEL KAGE

• Members

I finally got a chance to play for more than 15 minutes last night so I got warmed up( Or so I thought) and started playing to some Jam tracks.. I was feeling pretty good and playing over a variety of different styles and decided to just heat things up and started ripping over a bunch hard rock tracks....

Within 30min, my left hand was shot!!! Im honestly not sure If I could have played an entire gig. Granted, Im not ripping throughout an entire set but damn, I was just about locked up. My picking hand was fine though and thankfully, Im getting alot of accuracy back but I need to get my long distance chops back, its more than a little frustrating..

It makes YJM all that more amazing when you think about it..

• Members
Originally posted by danhops

makes me think we shouldnt do any recording if we hook up soon. I do believe a trip to Little Poland is in order though:)

Nah, Ill just nail it on the first take like always do;) :D . Im going to continue on and buiild back up to where I used to be... Little Poland is always in order and we need to record!!!

Kage

• Members

muscle memory..it will come back to you..if i miss a day (extemely rare.)
i use one of those hand-grip things..( i have them everywhere.)..i use them in the car when im out and have to drive..keeps me from flipping people off.:D ..they will help with your chops..and make a great warm up..
drop some money and buy your self a bunch of them and leave them where you sit during the day..i have them at the desk im at and the car,office down stairs etc...its not like playing..but it helps alot..keeps the finger tips hard too..

• Members
20030718_1.jpg

Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy {censored}ing walrus-looking piece of {censored}. Get the {censored} off of my obstacle. Get the {censored} down off of my obstacle. Now. Move it. I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world. I will motivate you, Private Kage, if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo.

• Members
Originally posted by rfaranda

20030718_1.jpg

Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy {censored}ing walrus-looking piece of {censored}. Get the {censored} off of my obstacle. Get the {censored} down off of my obstacle. Now. Move it. I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world. I will motivate you, Private Kage, if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo.

That is my absolute favorite character in any movie I've seen.

+1,000,000 for the killer pull on that!!!

• Members

20030718_1.jpg

That is soooo funny.

Kage, do your work dude, you've got the chops now use them:thu:

All kidding aside, I am finding my hands are cramping up on me, I keep saying it's the onset of old age, but there are a lot of great guitarists playing well past their sixties so either they have a secret or they exercise their hands a lot. I suspect hand exercising is the key here. We don't stay young forever:mad:

Bob

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Owens

muscle memory..it will come back to you..if i miss a day (extemely rare.)

i use one of those hand-grip things..( i have them everywhere.)..i use them in the car when im out and have to drive..keeps me from flipping people off.
:D
..they will help with your chops..and make a great warm up..

drop some money and buy your self a bunch of them and leave them where you sit during the day..i have them at the desk im at and the car,office down stairs etc...its not like playing..but it helps alot..keeps the finger tips hard too..

If you miss a day!!! Bro, Ive missed weeks and months:cry: :cry: :cry: Im on a mission to change that though!!!

• Members
Originally posted by SkyhighRocks

kids will do that to ya! At least my kids did that to me.
;)

I cant blame it on him really Rich, I come home from work, have dinner and just kind of veg. The next thing I know, its too late to play... I have to set up a schedule and stick to it...

• Members

I know whatcha mean, Kage. I was doing brutal death on bass stuff back in 02...was out of the band situation for for about four years, just grooving, doing stuff.

Went back to learn some new songs to jam with some dudes in 05. Couple of songs later I was shot. Need to keep up with that stuff, or it sneaks up on ya.

• Members

20030718_1.jpg

Holy crap Rob, thats hysterical!!!

• Members
Originally posted by Deicide1

Big ole' sissy!

Ha, I couldn't even play any of the lead stuff you do, so I have a feeling if I suddenly gained the knowledge to do so, my hands would also be ruined after 15 minutes.

I suppose its the same with a lot of the Death metal riffing. Im itching to be back out live again so I need to start hitting it hard...

• Members

Originally posted by gdwill2u

That is soooo funny.

Kage, do your work dude, you've got the chops now use them:thu:

All kidding aside, I am finding my hands are cramping up on me, I keep saying it's the onset of old age, but there are a lot of great guitarists playing well past their sixties so either they have a secret or they exercise their hands a lot. I suspect hand exercising is the key here. We don't stay young forever:mad:

Bob

LOL thanks for the kind words Bob but It was more than a tad disconcerting. I know that once I settle into a regular schedule everything will return but damn...

Im with you on exercise being the key...

Kage

• Members

it's frustrating man

i've recently reached a point where my playing has kinda levelled out, and it's really difficult for me to move on...i'll practice like crazy for a week or two, and get to where i'm really nailing stuff well and feeling good about it...then stuff comes up, and i slack off for a week or so and i'm right back to where i started

i can do ok with rhythm playing, i do that so much with band crap i don't think i could ever slack off too much...but when it comes to nailing lead stuff, and making it sound killer rather than halfassed/sloppy; i'm REALLY struggling with that

• Members
Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

I finally got a chance to play for more than 15 minutes last night so I got warmed up( Or so I thought) and started playing to some Jam tracks.. I was feeling pretty good and playing over a variety of different styles and decided to just heat things up and started ripping over a bunch hard rock tracks....

Within 30min, my left hand was shot!!! Im honestly not sure If I could have played an entire gig. Granted, Im not ripping throughout an entire set but damn, I was just about locked up. My picking hand was fine though and thankfully, Im getting alot of accuracy back but I need to get my long distance chops back, its more than a little frustrating..

sorry kage..its old age creeping in...happens to us all :cry:

• Members

I just started back at the first volume of "Sheets Of Sound". OMG, you do NOT want to hear the sounds that are eminating from the music cave:freak: I feel your pain - no, actually the people that have to listen to this retched grasp for competency (i.e. my family members) are the ones that feel your pain (even the cat won't talk to me right now).

On the other hand, I've been playing a lot of bass lately for something I'm tracking, and my reach vertically up the fretboard is feeling pretty good right now. My picking is all over the planet, though:mad:

• Members

{censored}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

• Members
Originally posted by Echoes

sorry kage..its old age creeping in...happens to us all
:cry:

In my case, I think that its just being away from the instrument for too long. I used to worry about losing chops but I think that with more/longer practice, Ill bounce back(hopefully!!!)

• Members

Practice more and you'll build it up and get it back.

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

it's frustrating man

i've recently reached a point where my playing has kinda levelled out, and it's really difficult for me to move on...i'll practice like crazy for a week or two, and get to where i'm really nailing stuff well and feeling good about it...then stuff comes up, and i slack off for a week or so and i'm right back to where i started

That sums me up! But with me, i'll play like crazy for a week or two, then spend a week pretty much just playing 360 in my spare time, and when I pick up the guitar, i'm back to where I was.

Archived