Eminence Governor vs Celestion Vintage 30?

LaXu

• Members

I'm thinking of replacing the speaker in my Diezel Einstein. The V30 sounds otherwise fine, but the high mids seem to be kinda harsh and cause a nasty sizzle that I hate more than anything. Especially apparent on lower gain tones and low volumes.

I asked for a replacement suggestion at the Gear Page and was recommended to try the Eminence Governor. I have never tried Eminence speakers so I thought I'd get a "second opinion." TGP folks said that the Governor is less sizzly and has a smoother top end, is this true?

If not, what speaker would you recommend that has no sizzle at all, smooth highs and a thick but not nasal midrange? Fat, smooth and round are the keywords here.

I tried the Diezel with a G12H-100 and it sounded a lot less harsh and worked better for cleans and low gains but doesn't have the fat midrange of the V30 so it doesn't get that fat, round tone for leads.

• Members

I have the Governor and V30.

The Governor is louder, less harsh, more bass. The V30 has a slightly tighter lower end. Not much though.

I run two Wizards, 1 governor and 1 V30 is two EarCandy 212 cabs. Sounds huge. Not shortage in mids either.

• Members

I cant see how anyone could say a govenor seems cheap compared to a v30, i like both speakers but the eminence i got had a way better build quality and sounds just as good it is a little different though, why not just replace 2 and put them in an x pattern.

• Members

Originally posted by DarkCide

The Governor is louder, less harsh, more bass. The V30 has a slightly tighter lower end. Not much though.

I run two Wizards, 1 governor and 1 V30 is two EarCandy 212 cabs. Sounds huge. Not shortage in mids either.

how does the wizard compare to v30 and the governor?

wizard's specifications are almost identical to governor's

• Members

I would never consider Eminence unless I used 20 of them. Look into Webers' Michigan 12. It's a remake of the EV-SRO. I've used the V-30 in a Soldano and was happy with it, but the EV has never been beaten.IMHO. Women say size doesn't count? Well it does in magnets. :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by zakian

I would never consider Eminence unless I used 20 of them. Look into Webers' Michigan 12. It's a remake of the EV-SRO.[/

QUOTE]

Why wouldn't you consider Eminence speakers? Over here Webers are really expensive and not that well available. What's the EV-SRO?

• Members

i find the governer isn't quite as thick sounding, but pretty close...it's got a smoother top end, and isn't quite as gritty

another forumite comparing the two (about the gritiness) said the v30 is kinda like gravel, and the governer like course sandpaper; i think that's a pretty good analogy

the two sound pretty similar tho, so if you want a very different tone...the governer won't get you that

• Members

I just wanted to re-iterate that the build quality on both of the eminence speakers i got was very good, also ive never seen one ov those weber speakers but the magnets on my eminence speakers were f*ckin huge and the speakers are really really heavy.

I dont know why people rag on eminence so much, there speakers are just fine and on top of that when i emailed the company about what i was looking for tonewise i got a very detailed response from a senior lab tehnician who designes the things, when i emailed celestion i got a response from a glorified saleperson.

in the end thats what sealed the deal for me and im not unsatisfied with the sound of my cab at all.

• Members

I second this and will add that the V30 records easier for me.

Originally posted by DarkCide

• 4 years later...
  • Members

the WGS Veteran 30 is pretty much a vintage 30, without the "harsh" upper-mid spike. I think they're like, 80 bucks direct. Check em out.Very high quality,too.

Why would you bump a thread that is 4 years, 9 months, and 29 days old?

• Members

the WGS Veteran 30 is pretty much a vintage 30, without the "harsh" upper-mid spike. I think they're like, 80 bucks direct. Check em out.Very high quality,too.

I have never heard a veteran 30 in person and the thought of a v30 without the harshness to it is really appealing however, the recordings I have heard of the veteran 30 haven't sounded that good. Anyone have a good youtube video of them.

Archived