How can a 15 watt amp cost this much?

Geno_xl

• Members

just seems strange when you get a 120 watt half stack for about the same or a little more.

I've never played on a 15 watt tube amp though. I have a low wattage solid state tube amp from back in the day that was 30 watts and there is no way it would be loud enough to play with a drummer though.

I guess I'll have to wait to hear it.

• Members

I've been gigging with 17 watt amps for about 4 years. I've never been asked to 'turn up'. I've been asked more than once to turn down.

and $499 is cheap for an all-tube amp. Of course, it's a pcb, and crate, but still... what's the 'new' price on a blues jr?

• Members

just seems strange when you get a 120 watt half stack for about the same or a little more.

I've never played on a 15 watt tube amp though. I have a low wattage solid state tube amp from back in the day that was 30 watts and there is no way it would be loud enough to play with a drummer though.

This would imply that solid state amps and tube amps are equal in terms of tone and in terms of volume. Wattage is the most irrelivant figure in terms of figuring out how an amp sounds. There is more that goes into an amp than simply power.

I have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a 15 watt tube amp will do.

• Members

Um, yeah, you can get a 120 Watt half stack for about the same price, but it is most likely going to be a {censored}ty solid state amp. There is a big difference between a 120w tube and 120w SS.

Just to make an example: I have a 80w Peavey SS and a 30w Peavey Tube amp. Suprise!!! The 30w tube amp is waaayy louder.

What do you mean, you have a "low wattage solid state tube amp from back in the day that was 30 watts"? Solid state tube amp? What does that even mean? I'm guessing you mean a SS amp with a tube pre amp, which is definitely not going to be very loud.

Don't knock a 15w tube amp for $499. That actually isn't very expensive.

• Members

Um, yeah, you can get a 120 Watt half stack for about the same price, but it is most likely going to be a {censored}ty solid state amp. There is a big difference between a 120w tube and 120w SS.

Just to make an example: I have a 80w Peavey SS and a 30w Peavey Tube amp. Suprise!!! The 30w tube amp is waaayy louder.

What do you mean, you have a "low wattage solid state tube amp from back in the day that was 30 watts"?
Solid state tube amp?
What does that even mean? I'm guessing you mean a SS amp with a tube pre amp, which is definitely not going to be very loud.

Don't knock a 15w tube amp for $499. That actually isn't very expensive.

oops I mis typed. I meant it was a solid state amp

I'm not really "knocking" the amp, it just didn't seem like it would be very loud at only 15 watts. I've always played with loud drummers and had to crank up the amp to play at a similar level. thats all.

• Members
What does wattage have to do with price?

... and yeah, this amp is JUST LIKE a VALVE JUNIOR!!!
:rolleyes:

Please people, get a clue before you post misinformed comments;)

wow, that's harsh...and it was wasn't a misinformed comment it was a question.

• Members

Loud and good aren't necessarily the same thing.

• Members

15 watts can be very loud, but one 15watt amp may not be as loud as another. Tube amps very greatly in specs, and every componant has its part in the overall sound. That said, I have yet to play a 15 watt amp that wasn't loud enough for anything that I do, but them again I play blues and rock and like a dirty (not overdriven) sound. A 15 watt amp will get you plenty of volume, you may not be able to get crystal clear cleans at a loud enough volume. Headroom varies greatly by amp, depending on tube types and how the gain stages are set. I say try one out. Crate also makes a similar 30watt version if you need a little more volume, though this doesn't mean its twice as loud. YOu will probably get a bit more clean headroom with the 30watt version. I tried them out and they were decent. Could benefit from a better set of tubes and a better speaker, but they are nice amps for the price. They don't quite hold up to my ampeg's (now made by the same company) but they are good.

• Members

my question is how can a 15 watt amp cost this much and is 15 watts enough for anyone to hear you play?

Use your brain. Just because it's half the power or less of some other amp doesn't mean it's half the cost. The entire amp still has to be built. It doesn't use half the components or something.

Go try one or a Vox AC15CC and you'll see.

I played I think a V50 today and it was a surprisingly good amp.

• Members

Use your brain. Just because it's half the power or less of some other amp doesn't mean it's half the cost. The entire amp still has to be built. It doesn't use half the components or something.

Exaclty. For example, a power transformer for a quality 15 watt amp can cost twice as much as one for a crappy 50 watt amp.

The V series is great though, seriously. If you want something a little better, to my ears anyway, but similar in sound, check out some ampegs.

• Members
What does wattage have to do with price?

... and yeah, this amp is JUST LIKE a VALVE JUNIOR!!!
:rolleyes:

Please people, get a clue before you post misinformed comments;)

So you think a 5 watt amp and a 100 watt amp made by the same manufacturer with the same specs are going to cost the same? Cheers, Lucius

• Members

So you think a 5 watt amp and a 100 watt amp made by the same manufacturer with the same specs are going to cost the same? Cheers, Lucius

It concievable could, but thats not the discussion. Most manufacturers are targetting a certain price point in the market. Crate is a budget brand. Fender is a mass production brand for a little more high end stuff. Then there are boutique brands that sell great things at huge prices. HIs point was that wattage is no indication of price. Brand + wattage however, may be more of an indication of price.

Archived