Whats your thoughts on the Genz Benz GFlex 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs?

Charvel1975

• Members

I have had a lot of cabs and that one always shocked me as to how huge it sounded. My wife who has zero ears (and tolerance:mad: ) for music, commented on how she liked it best next to a 5150 4x12 and a carvin 4x12 loaded with v-30's. I only have the carvin now and I wished I'd kept that friggin thing. It was super tight and thumpy, I was using it at the time with both either a 5150II or Randall Cyclone and it sounded killer. If you can find one for 300 bills or so you are doing good. I think someone just picked up 2 for 199 each at their local GC though..

Best of luck.

• Members

Thanks man, I was just wondering cause last night I played thru Lord Toneking's Boogie Mark 4 thru a Genz Benz GFlex 2x12 cab and it sounded killer!! I have a Marshall 1960A & a newer Randall 4x12 loaded with Celestion 70/80 red label's and I'm thinking of picking up one of these or the 4x12 variant!! How's the 4x12 version of the GFlex?!

• Members

Thanks man, I was just wondering cause last night I played thru Lord Toneking's Boogie Mark 4 thru a Genz Benz GFlex 2x12 cab and it sounded killer!! I have a Marshall 1960A & a newer Randall 4x12 loaded with Celestion 70/80 red label's and I'm thinking of picking up one of these or the 4x12 variant!! How's the 4x12 version of the GFlex?!

I can assure you that The GENZ BENZ 2x12 IS a great CAB.. I have a 1960 4x12 Marshall CAb and still think the Genz Benz sound better (i still own the Genz Benz).. You can't go wrong with a Genz Benz

• Members

I have the 4x12 and love it, it's a very balanced sounding cab. Berklee Bill they are a smaller company and considering that there are a ton of them around. If why don't more people use them was a gauge of quality most of the amps that are held in high regard on here would be considered worthless and Krank would be king.

• Members

I have never heard of port city music cabs and my cab isn't woofy at all.

http://www.portcitymusicsupply.com/

The low frequencies and the air being moved in general escapes the port on these cabs totally differently and really have to be heard to understand. I've heard this same anomolie with all circular ported cabs and the description on port city's site describes what I've heard to the T. I finally got to play one of these cabs at a local studio and it was the best 2X12 I've ever heard. Beats the mess out of the Orange, VHT, Mesas, bogners and Diezel 2X12's.

I'm sure these claims raise eyebrows but they truly have to be heard to be believed.

• Members

Ahhh...the G-Flex gas begins:D

Thanks for the compliments on my rig:thu:

They don't call me Lord Toneking for nothing ya know:rolleyes: ;)

:wave:

• Members

I love mine. It's definitly not going anywhere anytime soon. I think the whole woofing thing is urban legend. Mine has never ever woofed at me. I did have an over sized recto cab that would woof away at me though.

It's most evident if you're trying to dual mic the cab. If you use a distant mic a few feet away, you'll often hear it. Some say it's just the air being blown out of the port against the mic's diaphram.

• Members

It's most evident if you're trying to dual mic the cab. If you use a distant mic a few feet away, you'll often hear it. Some say it's just the air being blown out of the port against the mic's diaphram.

I have recorded mine three times that way and never had an issue.

• Members

This has nothing to do with "air" moving through the ports on the G-Flex as the port velosity is very low on the G-Flex. When micing ANY ported cabinet from a distance, or combining with a close mic on the cone, you will experience the phase interaction of the port and the direct sound at some relatively near-field points as well as time delay issues (that should be corrected for if possible) due to the different micing distances. This is true off all cabinets of this type, round ports or not.

Improperly designed ported cabinets can have a whole host of problems, but this is due to poor design or execution, not the basic concept.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived