Ampeg Vl1002 Review

rebornself27

• Members

It came in yesterday fired it up amp seems to be built like a tank but none or less looks like a Marshall..Well anyways this amp is a real sleeper great deal for $400..Channel 1 is the gain channel and channel 2 is the clean kinda backwards..both have independent eq's and reverb knobs as well and there's a 5 way selcter switch for different mids voices pretty sweat to customize your sound plus a presence knob for futher tweeking..Also this amp is active eq so it take's a little bit to adjust you're certain sound.So ill start it off the Clean channel "channel 2" is your basic clean kinda dull and middy sounding no better than a peavey 5150 but im sure with some nice effects this clean will be nice..Now gain channel (Channel 1) ..Now i think this the strong point in this amp.Its's got 4 gain stages plenty for rock Metal even death metal about the same amount of gain as a Marshall dsl100 ..Sound's like a Marshall dsl but tighter grainy sounding and a bit clear and loud as hell..I could easly get a Soilwork sound in about 5 minutes tweeking the gain channel playing Soilworks "song of the dammed"..Now the thing about this amp it only sounds good with certain Pickups passive humbuckers sound flubby..The amp seems only to like active humbuckers like EMG's kinda weird..But for death metal i mean it's not an over satruated amp it's a tighten up'd Marshall sound it might work for some people for death metal.. And plus my amp has el34's from i was told this amp becomes a beast with kt88's so ill will post another review once i get them installed..But overall this is a great amp it's good amount of lows almost the same as a 5150 .Its loud as hell and it cuts really nice in the mix if you cAn find one of these for $500 grab it ..It's a great deal and plus if you dont like it that much sell it or have it modded by Voodoo amps or FJA mods..I hope this review help's ..

• Members

those amps also love hot passive pickups like the gibson 500T and duncan invader. my VL1002 with 6550s, a G12-65 cab, and a les paul with 500T could dish out everything from AC/DC and zeppelin clang, to serious aggro roar. that amp was a beast, and i miss it.

• Members

It came in yesterday fired it up amp seems to be built like a tank but none or less looks like a Marshall..Well anyways this amp is a real sleeper great deal for $400..Channel 1 is the gain channel and channel 2 is the clean kinda backwards..both have independent eq's and reverb knobs as well and there's a 5 way selcter switch for different mids voices pretty sweat to customize your sound plus a presence knob for futher tweeking..Also this amp is active eq so it take's a little bit to adjust you're certain sound.So ill start it off the Clean channel "channel 2" is your basic clean kinda dull and middy sounding no better than a peavey 5150 but im sure with some nice effects this clean will be nice..Now gain channel (Channel 1) ..Now i think this the strong point in this amp.Its's got 4 gain stages plenty for rock Metal even death metal about the same amount of gain as a Marshall dsl100 ..Sound's like a Marshall dsl but tighter grainy sounding and a bit clear and loud as hell..I could easly get a Soilwork sound in about 5 minutes tweeking the gain channel playing Soilworks "song of the dammed"..Now the thing about this amp it only sounds good with certain Pickups passive humbuckers sound flubby..The amp seems only to like active humbuckers like EMG's kinda weird..But for death metal i mean it's not an over satruated amp it's a tighten up'd Marshall sound it might work for some people for death metal.. And plus my amp has el34's from i was told this amp becomes a beast with kt88's so ill will post another review once i get them installed..But overall this is a great amp it's good amount of lows almost the same as a 5150 .Its loud as hell and it cuts really nice in the mix if you cAn find one of these for $500 grab it ..It's a great deal and plus if you dont like it that much sell it or have it modded by Voodoo amps or FJA mods..I hope this review help's ..

Greazygeo has one or had and not sure what tubes he ran but you could check with him for some info and maybe settings.

I had the VL503 combo and didn't like it much but would like to hear the head.

• Members

Greazygeo has one or had and not sure what tubes he ran but you could check with him for some info and maybe settings.

I had the VL503 combo and didn't like it much but would like to hear the head.

I think the one George had is in the picture I posted, unless he has another one. I had a customer buy one from George and send it to me for mods.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well after awhile of playing this head ive learned its picky as hell on what pickups it likes and cabs and wood of guitars..Its almost like you need the perfect combo of wood pickup and cab.With a mahogany guitar and emg's 81 and Marshall 1960a cabinet. This amp sounds amazing tight crunch loads of gain plenty of low end clear as hell too it sounds like a super Modded Marshall ..Next i tried a Marshall bv 4 12 with v 30's And a Jackson with seymour duncans alder wood.The amp sound too bright and tiny not as much low end i mean it sounded great for solo's but for chug and heavy stuff it fell a little short..Next i tried a Crate svb 4 12 with v30's and My Charvel model 5a Poplar wood with a dimarzio steves special.Alomost as good as the the ibanez with Mahogany body and emg's but the charvel has alot more lows and wasnt as clear sounding kinda dark middy sound but still very driving..So in the enD.Ive learned this amp works best woth emg's mahogany wood guitars and marshall 1960 a cabs..You will get an awsome sounding setup which will suit for metal death metal hardrock.So if you're considering a new amp try one of these out you might save your self some money

Archived