Political and other OT threads...

Ara Ajizian

• Members

So, we have a whole forum dedicated to OT stuff here (Open Jam), but I know that a lot of people avoid OJ like the plague because it's kinda over the top. We also have the Political Forum for those discussions, but inevitably we get both OT and political stuff in almost all the forums.

How do you guys feel about OT stuff in this forum? Good? Bad? Some stuff alright, some stuff not? For the most part the discussion in here stays on topic, but I've seen threads where people express annoyance with OT stuff in here. Just wanted to get some opinions from the people who post in here a lot. Thanks.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, this place(The amp Forum) is like a community. That being said, Any and all topics should be allowed...

Seriously, WTF is so hard about not clicking on a topic that youre not interested in?

I hear you dude, and I also feel that way, about not clicking on what you don't want to read. I also know that we've got a buttload of forums on this site, and each one is like its own little community, rather than one big community with different neighborhoods, so to speak. If people are cool with that, great.

• Members

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, this place(The amp Forum) is like a community. That being said, Any and all topics should be allowed...

Seriously, WTF is so hard about not clicking on a topic that youre not interested in?

Exactly.

The only time I have an issue with a post is when it is someone that is obviously trolling, or using racist or bigoted language.

This is the only HC forum I frequent, and I welcome a good discussion here, especially with some of the extremely intelligent peope here that wouldn't dare touch OJ or the political forum.

• Members

My 0.02? Music-realted OT discussions (like Ace Frehley's LP guitars) are fine and encouraged, but retarded flame fests like politics and religion really make me HATE this MB. Your mileage may vary, but I don't think such posts add any value to the "community" -- if anything, there are some folks on this board I've never even met and feel biased against simply because of their strong political or religious views. And that just kind of sucks...

• Members

My 0.02? Music-realted OT discussions (like Ace Frehley's LP guitars) are fine and encouraged, but retarded flame fests like politics and religion really make me HATE this MB. Your mileage may vary, but I don't think such posts add any value to the "community" -- if anything, there are some folks on this board I've never even met and feel biased against simply because of their strong political or religious views. And that just kind of sucks...

I see this side of things too. I used to frequent the political forum of a band I really like, and after a while I just stopped altogether, because it was the same people posting, and you already knew what they would say about an issue before you even read their post. I ended up feeling the same way about those folks as the people you mention...even though we were all fans of the same band, knowing what someone felt about a hot-button issue made me feel like, "Jeez, I wouldn't hang with that dude at a show."

Music is (hopefully) what brings people to these forums, and a passion for gear as well. I wouldn't want the OT stuff to ruin that.

• Members

I hear you dude, and I also feel that way, about not clicking on what you don't want to read. I also know that we've got a buttload of forums on this site, and each one is like its own little community, rather than one big community with different neighborhoods, so to speak. If people are cool with that, great.

Some people make a big deal but its like anything else in the world; Restaurants, TV, Radio, Theres plenty of content out there that some find interesting and others dont. If youre interested, great, if not, then you walk by, ignore , whatever.

As Weathered said, as long as it isnt bigotted,racist or insulting ones personal beliefs, where is the problem?

• Members

+1,000,000

• Members

Music is (hopefully) what brings people to these forums, and a passion for gear as well. I wouldn't want the OT stuff to ruin that.

I dont think that it will Arracado, Music is the Glue that brings us all together but different things make us tic...

I have beliefs that differ from many here but it would never keep me from posting here..

• Members

All topics allowed, yes.

However, when OT political rants make up the preponderance of a member's "contributions" to this forum, its too much & should be moved.

I don't click on these topics. I'm just tired of seeing these threads occupying so much of the forum while other members' "Advice on a 2x10 Princeton" posts get kicked to page 2 with no responses.

• Members

The OT stuff comes and goes in waves. In general, I don't mind a whole lot because I don't go into threads that are of no interest to me (which is most of the religion/political stuff). The thing that pisses me off is when over half of the first page is threads that have absolutely nothing to do with music.

• Members

Well IMO the problem would be if the forum became more about OT stuff than it is about Amps.

That will never happen(unless of course, the majority of OJ douchbags lke Tweedbucket et al keep coming here and posting the stupid OT stuff that they do)

Theres OT and then theres really dumb OT..... I started a thread the other day on Plasma vs LCD televisions because I dont know diddly about them and the wealth of information that the members here gave me greatly narrowed my search... Thats just one example of some of the cool things that Ive learned about thanks to OT Threads...

• Members

What's so hard about going to Open Jam, Political Forum, Guitar Jam or Cool Jam if you want to discuss something else. Why should people wanting amp discussion have to wade through the nonsense, when there are four other forums specifically provided for other topics?

• Members

all topics allowed, but ridiculous troll posts that are designed to wind people up should deleted.

also I get sick of people copying a title but just changing it slightly for a new thread so we end up with:

Legit thread - How much for a 1992 dual recto?

stupid 1 - How much for a 1992 dual rectum?

stupid 2 - How much for a {censored} in the rectum?

etc etc

• Members

I think this place would get old fast without OT threads. You can only ask so many amp related questions before the stock answer would be "Thats been ask 1000 times, Use the search function"...

That said, I also believe in Pub Rules....No Politics.....No religion....

Emotions, personal belief, and tempers run higher on those two topics than most others. IMO

• Members

What's so hard about going to Open Jam, Political Forum, Guitar Jam or Cool Jam if you want to discuss something else. Why should people wanting amp discussion have to wade through the nonsense, when there are four other forums specifically provided for other topics?

Because all of those forums are full of ass hats that I wouldnt be interested in discussing ANYTHING with....( Guitar Jam isnt bad IMO; never been to cool jam though)

On a whole, I just like the people better here....

• Members

I love any and all OT discussions.

+1 For me. Kage nail the head on the hit!

• Members

I say just leave it alone. I come here for amp talk and BS. If this forum was strictly amplifiers I would not come around until I need information. That means I would not come here hardly at all. I don't need a lot of amplifier information because I've been into this stuff for 40 + years.

Archived