Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNLOCKING THE MYSTERY OF THE FRAMUS COBRA

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my Cobra biased this past weekend and I freaking LOVE IT. I bought it used and it was biased at 15-17ma when I got it.... biased it to 35ma and now this thing ROARS!

Nice!! Congrats man.
    -ESP: SS Alexi Sawtooth-Framus: Cobra KT88-VHT: FB-412 P50E-Maxon: OD808-iSP: Decimator-Dunlop: DCR-2SR-Eventide: TimeFactor-Peterson: VS-R Tuner-Furman: AR-15 II-Eventide: PowerFactor-Axess: GRX4 & MFC5

Comment

• Well, I got the low end somewhat under control, dialed out quite a bit of fizz and now I am struggling with the low mids. This thing has a ton of low mids and through 3 different cabs, my greenback avatar has the least but still overpowering. This amp is definitely a journey. I could see how a lot of people dont gel with this amp and might lose patience as it definitely doesnt do well with low mid heavy cabinets. To tell you the truth, v30s might not be that bad with this one. I would like to try them.
      Great transactions with: Holy-Diver, knucklefux, detunedman, Vinhoff, LordOVchaos, pfindeis, i.fly.away, tomh777, GodBlessTexas, lowbrow, deluxe74, mustaine-who?, RCC, NickCormier, thefyn, sweetbabyjezuz, steve39stripes, stevexdanger, troublehead, khastra_ksc, RobotbodiesBFF, DracoAran, scottcrud, justcrash, Khoifish321, VinnyH, 11justin22, DoubleBarrel, guitup, JonVengeance.

****************ty transactions: allan wwodrum

Comment

• Well, I got the low end somewhat under control, dialed out quite a bit of fizz and now I am struggling with the low mids. This thing has a ton of low mids and through 3 different cabs, my greenback avatar has the least but still overpowering. This amp is definitely a journey. I could see how a lot of people dont gel with this amp and might lose patience as it definitely doesnt do well with low mid heavy cabinets. To tell you the truth, v30s might not be that bad with this one. I would like to try them.

V30s are not bad with the Cobra. Just not the Mesa oversized cab, it sounds like a floppy mess to me. In fact v30s, with emg pups, sounds very Killswitchy - which isn't altogether a bad thing.

If you haven't tried a vht fatbottom, you're definitly missing out.
        -ESP: SS Alexi Sawtooth-Framus: Cobra KT88-VHT: FB-412 P50E-Maxon: OD808-iSP: Decimator-Dunlop: DCR-2SR-Eventide: TimeFactor-Peterson: VS-R Tuner-Furman: AR-15 II-Eventide: PowerFactor-Axess: GRX4 & MFC5

Comment

• Those VHTs are getting hard to find. Probably not quite as hard as the Cobra cab I have been looking for forever, but truth be told I dont know how different a cobra cab with greenbacks would be than my avatar loaded greenback cab now. I think I am going to snag a VHT cab if I can find one. Hell with the shipping charges, its gotta be worth it. EVERY clip I have heard with a VHT cab sounded good to me.
          Great transactions with: Holy-Diver, knucklefux, detunedman, Vinhoff, LordOVchaos, pfindeis, i.fly.away, tomh777, GodBlessTexas, lowbrow, deluxe74, mustaine-who?, RCC, NickCormier, thefyn, sweetbabyjezuz, steve39stripes, stevexdanger, troublehead, khastra_ksc, RobotbodiesBFF, DracoAran, scottcrud, justcrash, Khoifish321, VinnyH, 11justin22, DoubleBarrel, guitup, JonVengeance.

****************ty transactions: allan wwodrum

Comment

• Those VHTs are getting hard to find. Probably not quite as hard as the Cobra cab I have been looking for forever, but truth be told I dont know how different a cobra cab with greenbacks would be than my avatar loaded greenback cab now. I think I am going to snag a VHT cab if I can find one. Hell with the shipping charges, its gotta be worth it. EVERY clip I have heard with a VHT cab sounded good to me.

Right before Christmas I picked up a 212 vht from Drum City
            Guitar Land. I'm pretty sure they have some 412 cabs still in stock. Pretty good prices too.

Comment

• V30s are not bad with the Cobra. Just not the Mesa oversized cab, it sounds like a floppy mess to me. In fact v30s, with emg pups, sounds very Killswitchy - which isn't altogether a bad thing.

If you haven't tried a vht fatbottom, you're definitly missing out.

There is a lot of win in this post. If you're going to use emgs with the cobra, use the 85, not the 81.

V30s kick ass with the cobra in the right cab. The vht cabs are also very hard to beat.
              "Follow your instinct.... It usually takes you home."

Heads:
              Egnater Armageddon
              VHT Deliverance
              Titan Custom 100
              Baron MII 100
              Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
              VHT 100 CL
              Splawn Nitro
              Peavey 6505 & FJA 6505 & 5150 II
              Krank Krankenstein +
              Bogner Uberschall Rev Blue
              Rivera K-Tre'
              Framus Cobra & Dragon
              Ampeg VH-140c
              Engl Savage 120 & Powerball
              Mesa Dual Rectifier
              ESP Guitars

HC References
              http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2242115

Comment

• There is a lot of win in this post. If you're going to use emgs with the cobra, use the 85, not the 81.

V30s kick ass with the cobra in the right cab. The vht cabs are also very hard to beat.

I enjoyed the 81's with it still.
                The box pattern and arpeggio diagrams I made. Use em for whatever.

My death metal band.

Band's facebook page

Comment

• I wanted to thank everyone for the insight on the cobra, especially the OP.

I got mine about a month ago and it's taken some getting used to. It's very picky about cabs and in my experience it sounds terrible with oversized or overly bassy speakers. I just picked up a 1960a and I'm loving the tone through it.

Here are the cabs I've tried and my opinion:

Bogner Oversized 2x12 V30s - Sounded woofy and lacked punch with the cobra, I spent about 20 mins trying to dial it back, even with the deep knob a 0 and the bass low, it wasn't tight at all.

Bogner Cube 112 G12-65- sounds huge but doesn't cut very well. The low mids get muddy with high bass settings but turning off the deep knob tames the woofiness quite a bit. I would like to hear a sealed cab with these speakers. I think the ported cab is the reason it sounds this way.

Marshall 1960a G12t-75 - Grindy, more Marshally (who knew?). Tames the low end and dulls the highs (in a good way). Tight and more percussive than the others I've tried.

Random 1x12 Greenback - Great tight tone, being a single 12 and only 25 watts it didn't have as much low end or low mids, I bet a 412 with greenbacks would be stellar.

It prefers my lower output guitars. The crunch channel is incredible and the clean and lead channels are great, better than most high gain amps.

My complaint about this amp is the always on loop that seems to color the sound quite a bit. It's designed for rack effects and likes a balanced signal. I'm using an ebtech line level shifter and it's working fine, but my effects sound noticeably different through this amp than any other.

Overall I'm loving the tone of this thing and the balanced loop is just a minor inconvenience. This thing is killer!
                  Axe FX Standard
                  Splawn Quick Rod

RG570
                  RG550
                  RGT6EXFX
                  RG2EX1
                  Fernandes Ravelle
                  Fender MIM Strat
                  Washburn MG44

Comment

Working...
                  X