Metalheads: What Do You Listen to Aside from Metal?

Introspectre

• Members

When too much {censored}ty '80s thrash is being thrown in my face via XM, I always switch to classical. I'm not one of the "my metal is classical music" peckerheads, either. I think both genres of music have their places, and don't mix very well, regardless of what most shred wankers may say. My metal's melodic, but I know it's not exactly the Brandenburg Concertos.

What d'y'all listen to other than metal? :wave:

• Members

It's nearly always metal, but when it's not it's 80's pop (some of which i hated first time round). I used to be really into Bach for many years but that has faded. I also like female folky/pop stuff sometimes too, Beth Orton and similar. I don't really listen to female vocals other than Arch Enemy, normally. Rush is my favourite non-metal band.

When i was a teen i wouldn't have been able to give an answer, it was metal or nothing. I hated everything else. Bach was the first thing to break that mentallity

• Members
It's nearly always metal, but when it's not it's 80's pop (some of which i hated first time round). I used to be really into Bach for many years but that has faded. I also like female folky/pop stuff sometimes too, Beth Orton and similar. I don't really listen to female vocals other than Arch Enemy, normally. Rush is my favourite non-metal band.

When i was a teen i wouldn't have been able to give an answer, it was metal or nothing. I hated everything else. Bach was the first thing to break that mentallity

Very good point, I love a lot of '80s pop, too, especially new wave. :thu: Depeche Mode, The Cure, Echo & The Bunnymen, Tears for Fears, New Order, you name it, I love it.

• Members

Prog, rock and more 80s pop than is healthy for one man.

Interesting to see the popularity of 80s pop within the metal community here - I think a lot of those bands actually utilised melodic patterns quite similar to those used in metal, as well as the fact that despite appearances, some of them were quite dark in tone.

• Members

I listen to a lot of crustcore(raw hardcore punk sans the "brotherhood" or racist bull{censored}), as well as classical(Wagner), Leonard Cohen, and some Pat Metheny(only jazz I really like, the rest bores me).

Some 60's rock(particularly psychodelic {censored}), but very very little. I really don't like rock on any level despite being an all out metalhead.

I like experimental D&B stuff like Hella too, and of course instrumental rock like Satriani.

• Members

I'll give any music a try as long as it actually has instruments being played, not {censored}ty samples stolen from other songs and put together using pro-tools.

Lisa Loeb, Chet Atkins, Jonny A, Charlie Hunter, Frank Gambale, Pat Metheny, Beethoven, Strauss, Vivaldi. I like to listen to cheesy pop music too, mostly stuff from late 80's early 90's with the cheesy synths and drum sounds, just because of the nostalgia.

Archived