Peavey 5150 preamp tube layout

davidM

• Members

Okay, so this thing seems little funky and the manual isn't helping, nor is a google searching.

can someone label which preamp does what if I'm facing the amp from behind looking into the panel?

tube 1 tube 2 tube 3 tube 4 tube 5

my effects loop has a significant signal drop, and either the amp is f'd or the tube is weak. I bought a new preamp tube to test it out, and if that doesn't work, then it's an MXR Micro Amp for me.

thanks guys

• Members

What would be some good tube combos for the 5150. Is it best to run straight 12ax7's across, or a combo of different tubes. Anything specific for for the phase invert?

Also, if v1-v3 are the gain stage slots. Which ones are for the lead channel, and which ones are for the crunch channel.

Peace -Jeff

• Members

Courtesy of FJA

That was just what I was looking for!

As for using different tubes, I've heard a lot of people talking about using different tubes for each stage of gain. But I've never tried it.... uncle sam raped me this year. But soon ill get my amp exactly how I want it.

• Members

Ps, crucify me if you must... but what is a phase inverter

Im no EE, but since no one else has answered, here you go.

Class AB amps have pairs of tubes, one tube in each pair does one half of the sine wave, and the other tube does the other half. And by half, I mean top and bottom.

Basically the phase inverter just splits your signal up into two different parts and so that the tube pairs can amplify them.

• Members
Im no EE, but since no one else has answered, here you go.

Class AB amps have pairs of tubes, one tube in each pair does one half of the sine wave, and the other tube does the other half. And by half, I mean top and bottom.

Basically the phase inverter just splits your signal up into two different parts and so that the tube pairs can amplify them.

Yep, basically. Splits it into the 2 power amp halfs...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The phase inverter is the tube closest to the power tubes. Peavey calls that tube V4. The tube next to the phase inverter Peavey calls V3 and that is for the loop.

Jerry

thank you very much,

and V5? :thu:

• Members

Just like in the picture, V5 is in the middle. I have no idea why Peavey labeled them out of order, but that's the way it is.

Jerry

yeah i knoq that V5 its on the middle, but...

what the funcion of that tube? gain stage?

thanks

• Members

So, from a tonal standpoint, Jerry, could you say that going right to left could be construed as V1-V5 in terms of tonal impact? Meaning the farthest one right has the most tonal effect and then each tube going towards the left has less of a tonal effect, even if technically they aren't labeled V1, V2, V3, etc.?

That may not even make sense...

• 13 years later...

Archived