Epi' Valve junior fans, what cab are ya rocking?

Son of 12

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've used mine through
2 different 4x8" cabs(Vox and Guitar Research w/ Webers)
2x8" cab with Webers
1x8" cab(Ashdown)
2 different 2x12" cabs(Sonic w/GT75s, Peavey w/Madison Minstrels)
3 different 4x12" cabs(Crate, custom-made w/Emi GB12s, Carvin w/V30s)
1 4x10" cab. (custom-made w/Eminence alnicos)

• Members

I've used mine through

2 different 4x8" cabs(Vox and Guitar Research w/ Webers)

2x8" cab with Webers

1x8" cab(Ashdown)

2 different 2x12" cabs(Sonic w/GT75s, Peavey w/Madison Minstrels)

3 different 4x12" cabs(Crate, custom-made w/Emi GB12s, Carvin w/V30s)

1 4x10" cab. (custom-made w/Eminence alnicos)

I just dont seem to grasp wattage then, a few of those cabs should have a power rating well over 5 watts. What gives? Forgive me, I just dont quite grasp the whole tube wattage=rms etc etc? I mean, would you want to match up a amp/speaker combo the best you can to achieve the greatest SPL/sensitivity?

A guy I used to know always would tell me its far better to have MORE wattage on a speaker then not have enough... is this the case with guitar amps as well or no?

Any good articles on the web that might help me out?

PPS: What has been your fav combo Tbone?

• Members

Wattage has nothing to do with efficiency/sensitivity. As long as the speaker(s) handle at least as much as the amp puts out, you are fine. As for the last question, none of them really. I don't find the head's tone to be inspiring at all.

Wow, im honestly surprised to hear that, it seems like all the reviews claim that thing is the cats pajamas. Anyhow, I appreciate the time.

Lemme ask you this, what amp around the same price, have you found inspiring? If any?

• Members

It won't knock your socks off un-modded. It has a muddy overall tone to it. It starts distorting at about 11:00 on the Vol. knob, and gets way too muddy and sloppy past 2:00.

If you change the output transformer to a Hammond 125DSE and change/jumper some resistors it remedeys all of the above problems and really makes it sound fantastic. If you enjoy modding things, you'll love this amp. If not, you won't keep it.

lowvol.jpg

I am using an Avatar G112 loaded with a Greenback. It sounds great, especially with P90's.

• Members

Wow, im honestly surprised to hear that, it seems like all the reviews claim that thing is the cats pajamas. Anyhow, I appreciate the time.

Lemme ask you this, what amp around the same price, have you found inspiring? If any?

I've bought used tube heads for $125-200 that sounded really sweet. Peavey Triumph, Kitty Hawk Jr Pro, Sovtek Mig 60. Combos, new Pignose G40V for $219, used Crate Vintage Club 20 reverb for $100, used Vox Cambridge 15 (hybrid) for $65, used Vox VR30(hybrid) for $129(just like new with all papers and packaging) new Guitar Research T-64 half stack for $249.

• Members

Use the crate cab in my signature (v30's).

That said I want a 1x12 for it as it really only gets used as a practice amp, I modded it and it is a little better but yeah I agree not the most inspiring amp. I do like it though for $100 it's great.

P.S. this head does not get loud enough for band practice, live shows etc. Maybe if your doing jazz or something.

• Members
It won't knock your socks off un-modded. It has a muddy overall tone to it. It starts distorting at about 11:00 on the Vol. knob, and gets way too muddy and sloppy past 2:00.

If you change the output transformer to a Hammond 125DSE and change/jumper some resistors it remedeys all of the above problems and really makes it sound fantastic. If you enjoy modding things, you'll love this amp. If not, you won't keep it.

lowvol.jpg

I am using an Avatar G112 loaded with a Greenback. It sounds great, especially with P90's.

Care to share what mods you did? I put in a standby switch, bright switch, and gain switch.

But the transformer: worth it?

• Members

I installed the standby, Bitmo Tonestack, and the Bitmo gain switch. I later installed the Transformer.

The output transformer should have been the first mod I tried. It made the biggest tonal difference by far. It was also the easiest.

I went with the bitmo kits because they had explicit instructions and I didn't need to hunt for the parts. At the time I didn't even know how to solder properly! That is why I bought it, though. It is a great primer for learning about basic tube amp circuts.

• Members

using mine with a splawn 4x12 (celestion g12h30's). unmodded the amp is okay at best. like others have said, unmodded its pretty muddy and raspy. a few resistor/cap swaps and the amp can sound great for 100 bucks.

• Members

I don't know personally, but I have read that the price of the Mercury kit does not justify the end result. I have also read that the Hammond transformer gets pretty close to the MM kit.

I would not put $300 worth of parts into a $99 amp. For that kind of jack, I'd buy a better amp.

• Members
using mine with a splawn 4x12 (celestion g12h30's). unmodded the amp is okay at best. like others have said, unmodded its pretty muddy and raspy. a few resistor/cap swaps and the amp can sound great for 100 bucks.

Less than that.

The transformer cost me $34 shipped, and the tonestack cost me $35 shipped.

I just retubbed with JJ's. I didn't hear a huge difference in clairity, as some claim.:cry:

• Members
Less than that.

The transformer cost me $34 shipped, and the tonestack cost me $35 shipped.

I just retubbed with JJ's. I didn't hear a huge difference in clairity, as some claim.
:cry:

i mean, for 100 bucks stock with a few bucks for mods. what transformer did you put in the epi? what kind of tonal difference was there? i've been thinking about doing an OT mod when i get some extra money to burn...

• Members
I installed the standby, Bitmo Tonestack, and the Bitmo gain switch. I later installed the Transformer.

The output transformer should have been the first mod I tried. It made the biggest tonal difference by far. It was also the easiest.

I went with the bitmo kits because they had explicit instructions and I didn't need to hunt for the parts. At the time I didn't even know how to solder properly! That is why I bought it, though. It is a great primer for learning about basic tube amp circuts.

I have one and was thinking about modding it, but I keep hearing that a tube amp of any wattage has enough stored voltage to kill you. What precautions did you take? I can solder (replacing pickups, etc...) and have some common sense ;) , but I don't really want to electrocute myself screwing around with that thing. I REALLY would like to mod it though... I think it is a pretty cool little amp.

Oh yeah... I play it through my Mesa 4x12 w/V30's and my Recto 2x12 that has a V30 and CL80 in it.

• Members

I did a cheap mod on my EPI amp: Svetlana 12axt & JJ EL84 tubes.

As far as cabs:
1 x 12 Earcandy open-back cab, with late 60's Norwegian-made, DNH Alnico speaker.
1 x 10 home-built open-back cab, with 60's UTAH Alnico speaker.
2 x 10 home-built closed-back, with 60's CTS ceramic speakers.

Steve :thu:

• Members
I have one and was thinking about modding it, but I keep hearing that a tube amp of any wattage has enough stored voltage to kill you. What precautions did you take? I can solder (replacing pickups, etc...) and have some common sense
;)
, but I don't really want to electrocute myself screwing around with that thing. I REALLY would like to mod it though... I think it is a pretty cool little amp.

Oh yeah... I play it through my Mesa 4x12 w/V30's and my Recto 2x12 that has a V30 and CL80 in it.

www.valvejunior.com is a great website for info...check out their little message board at the bottom of the main page. i believe the valve junior has a bleeder resistor that shunts the stored voltage to the ground. so, i suppose if you waited a bit after powering it up/shutting it down, enough of the voltage will be drained out so you dont get seriously hurt or killed. dont quote me on that though...

• Members

See I did the gain switch, bright swich and standby switch.

The standby switch was probably the only benificial one (IMO). I am looking into modifying the bright switch so it is more noticeable as I just found out it is easy.

Yeah have to agree, your right a murcury mod is probably not worth it at this time IMO.

• Members

I don't know personally, but I have read that the price of the Mercury kit does not justify the end result. I have also read that the Hammond transformer gets pretty close to the MM kit.

I would not put $300 worth of parts into a $99 amp. For that kind of jack, I'd buy a better amp.

Oh it isn't my primary amp, it is just for practice and since I voided my warantee, messing with.

• Members

Yes the heads, and the later combos have bleed off resistors.

Unplug the amp.
Let it sit with the power switch on for about 10min.
Pull the amp from the headshell.
Put one hand in your back pocket.
With the other, use a multimeter to check voltage.

• Members

Unplug the amp.

This is what I'm saying... Check the voltage where? Is the procedure explained in the instructions?

I'm a big baby, so any help would be appreciated! :lol:

• Members

Unplug the amp.

Where did you buy the Hammond and what tonal differences did it make?

Archived