No announcement yet.

Peavey VALVEKING 100 Head ==> New amp review

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey VALVEKING 100 Head ==> New amp review

I thought I would post a brief review of the Peavey ValveKing 100 amp I just purchased.

I got this for a steal from my local Guitar shop. I have given my local store a LOT of business over the years, and have developed a good friendship with the guitar department manager. This amp is new, and normally sells for $ 549 USD. I bought it for $ 399 USD...which is a killer price.

I have it connected to a Vox V212BN 2 x 12 cabinet with Wharfdale speakers. The Valveking has a nice serial FX loop, in which I run a Rocktron Xpression (for some reverb and echo effects). The head has a built-in spring reverb...but I prefer the Rocktron Xpression's digital Reverb effects.

There are several unique, and very cool things with this amp.

On the back, is a "Texture" control...which is a dial that modifys the amp's power section to operate in Class A/B or single-ended Class A. The dial is infinitely adjustable, so you can mix the operaton of the 4 x 6L6 power tubes. When it is completely counter-clockwise, it puts the amp in Class A mode...and when adjusting it clock-wise, it progressively switches over into Class A/B mode. I have it set at Noon...which gives a way cool mix of both.

The Clean channel is very nice, and also has a bright switch to add even more chime and sparkle. But who uses the Clean channel?

It is the Lead channel that is happenning !!

There is a HUGE amount of gain capability in this amp, and you can dial in as much or as little as you want...with all levels sounding very articulate (from mean to scream). The ValveKing has a very pronounced mid-range voicing....which I love, because it is just what you want for Lead / Solo based playing style. The amp has an excellent Master Volume circuit...and I can achieve excellent gain and sustain at low volume levels.

The Lead channel's normal gain tops out at a level I would compare to a boosted JCM 800. However, there is ALSO a Gain Boost switch, which pulls in another pre-amp tube. When this is engaged, the total gain level is comparable to a 5150.

I prefer to set my amp's gain (without the boost switch engaged) at around noon...and boost with the DOD 250 pedal. With the DOD bypassed, this gain setting on the amp provides a very sweet bluesy overdriven tone, which is a tad beyond just "breaking up", but below the threshold of real pre-amp distortion clipping. With the DOD engaged, it yields a wonderful, Yngwie-esque violin like overdrive, with gobs of sustain and rich harmonics.

Additional tweakability to your tone is provided by the amp's "Presence" and "Resonance" control dials. The "Presence" influences the amp's high end frequency response, where as the "Resonance" influences the amp's low-end frequency response. These two controls allow for fine tuning the tone, and tailoring the amps tone to a particular speaker cabinets strengths.

In short, a very cool amp, with incredible "Bang for the Buck" value.

Could you do us a favour?

Chuck a high-gain distortion pedal in front and tell me how it sounds? Considering one as a stand-in until I get a decent amp again.
    Zazas Zazas Nasatanada Zazas

Good transactions:
    StevePage (b)
    Deadeye Dom (s)
    Maiden_Fan (s)
    metareal (s)
    YourGuitarHero (b)
    Ratae Coritanorum (b)
    ¤ Matt ¤ (s)

Comment

Nice review!!

I have a Valve King 212 and I can get GREAT tone from it as long as I run an EQ in the effects loop and dial out the harshness.

I can get it to sound very smooth yet crunchy..... very Marshall-like!

I'm very happy with mine. No thoughts of ever selling it.

-
      "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans..."
      - John Lennon
      Videos of me playing guitar!

My original music

Stupid, meaningless HC clubs I'm a PROUD member of:
      Epiphone Empire
      F-Holes (Semi-Hollow and Hollowbody owners)
      Marshall Circle of Tone
      SG ARMY

Comment

Could you do us a favour?

Chuck a high-gain distortion pedal in front and tell me how it sounds? Considering one as a stand-in until I get a decent amp again.

Despite the low price, I wouldn't characterize this as a "less than decent" amp...although I am sure that's not what you really meant.

This amp, IMHO, has tone every bit as good as an amp costing 3 times as much (or more).

As far as your request...I don't own a high-gain distortion pedal. The closest to that would be a SD-1. I do like the SD-1 in front of certain amps...but not this one. I have found that, on amps which have a well defined mid-range voicing, a "cleaner" OD pedal sounds better than a true distortion pedal. With this amp, I particularly like the DOD 250 clone (Analogman DOD YJM 308 with 741 mojo mod) as well as the Digitech Bad Monkey. There is (for me, anyway) almost too much gain available in this amp...especially when the gain boost switch is engaged. Putting a high-gain distortion pedal in front of this, would most likely produce a "Nu-Metal" or "Death-Metal" tone, which may work for rhythm "chugga, chugga" type riffing...but would SUCK for lead / solo oriented playing.

Comment

I thought I would post a brief review of the Peavey ValveKing 100 amp I just purchased.

I got this for a steal from my local Guitar shop. I have given my local store a LOT of business over the years, and have developed a good friendship with the guitar department manager. This amp is new, and normally sells for $ 549 USD. I bought it for $ 399 USD...which is a killer price.

I have it connected to a Vox V212BN 2 x 12 cabinet with Wharfdale speakers. The Valveking has a nice serial FX loop, in which I run a Rocktron Xpression (for some reverb and echo effects). The head has a built-in spring reverb...but I prefer the Rocktron Xpression's digital Reverb effects.

There are several unique, and very cool things with this amp.

On the back, is a "Texture" control...which is a dial that modifys the amp's power section to operate in Class A/B or single-ended Class A. The dial is infinitely adjustable, so you can mix the operaton of the 4 x 6L6 power tubes. When it is completely counter-clockwise, it puts the amp in Class A mode...and when adjusting it clock-wise, it progressively switches over into Class A/B mode. I have it set at Noon...which gives a way cool mix of both.

The Clean channel is very nice, and also has a bright switch to add even more chime and sparkle. But who uses the Clean channel?

It is the Lead channel that is happenning !!

There is a HUGE amount of gain capability in this amp, and you can dial in as much or as little as you want...with all levels sounding very articulate (from mean to scream). The ValveKing has a very pronounced mid-range voicing....which I love, because it is just what you want for Lead / Solo based playing style. The amp has an excellent Master Volume circuit...and I can achieve excellent gain and sustain at low volume levels.

The Lead channel's normal gain tops out at a level I would compare to a boosted JCM 800. However, there is ALSO a Gain Boost switch, which pulls in another pre-amp tube. When this is engaged, the total gain level is comparable to a 5150.

I prefer to set my amp's gain (without the boost switch engaged) at around noon...and boost with the DOD 250 pedal. With the DOD bypassed, this gain setting on the amp provides a very sweet bluesy overdriven tone, which is a tad beyond just "breaking up", but below the threshold of real pre-amp distortion clipping. With the DOD engaged, it yields a wonderful, Yngwie-esque violin like overdrive, with gobs of sustain and rich harmonics.

Additional tweakability to your tone is provided by the amp's "Presence" and "Resonance" control dials. The "Presence" influences the amp's high end frequency response, where as the "Resonance" influences the amp's low-end frequency response. These two controls allow for fine tuning the tone, and tailoring the amps tone to a particular speaker cabinets strengths.

In short, a very cool amp, with incredible "Bang for the Buck" value.

I am lovin my V/K head as well. I am still trying to find out from other V/K owners what pre-amp tubes were stock in theirs. Mine came new with 2 EH tubes and 1 JJ. I thought that was unusual to come from the factory that way, but maybe mine was a return and the first owner changed some tubes. It does have the Ruby power tubes.

Comment

i dunno. my friend had a valveking, and i thought it sounded muddy. *shrug*
            HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

I am lovin my V/K head as well. I am still trying to find out from other V/K owners what pre-amp tubes were stock in theirs. Mine came new with 2 EH tubes and 1 JJ. I thought that was unusual to come from the factory that way, but maybe mine was a return and the first owner changed some tubes. It does have the Ruby power tubes.

Interesting. Mine has Sovtek 6L6s

Comment

I don't think the boost is from an extra tube being engaged; it's diode clipping. And I'm also not quite sure how this classifies as a master volume head; it's got independent volume and gain on each channel, but not a global master volume like on the JSX or Carvin V3. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what the true definition of "master volume".
                Court Jester of the Ibanez Wizards
                Mesa/Boogie Mob

Guitars:

Ibanez JS2000
                Ibanez RG421 w/ Dimarzio TZ+AN
                Ibanez SC420
                Fender MIM Strat with built-in Roland GK3
                Seagull S6

Rig:
                '94 Mesa DC-5 combo
                Palmer PDI-09
                L6 Echo Park
                Boss chorus
                Boss SD-1
                AmpKit+ for iPad
                Roland GI-20 MIDI converter

Comment

i dunno. my friend had a valveking, and i thought it sounded muddy. *shrug*

It gets muddy if u dime out the gain with the boost on. But put the gain around 6-7 with the gain boost on and it sounds great and theres plenty of gain.
                  Originally Posted by KsE fan

So I wanna lose my man titties

Originally Posted by missingastring

I could pack with the best of em.

Comment

The two at the GC here in Phoenix had ruby's all around. I was very surprised by this amp. I was prepared for some buzzy killer bee action, but the gain was pretty darn nice, the amp was a little loose for my taste, but for the $$, pretty much a no brainer.
                    Dont mistake kindness for weakness

Comment

Interesting. Mine has Sovtek 6L6s

I had read in some other posts that the early heads shipped with Sovtecs and were changed to Ruby's later on. Have you opened it up and looked at the pre-amp tubes?

Comment

I don't think the boost is from an extra tube being engaged; it's diode clipping. And I'm also not quite sure how this classifies as a master volume head; it's got independent volume and gain on each channel, but not a global master volume like on the JSX or Carvin V3. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what the true definition of "master volume".

Well, you may be correct about the gain boost switch...it could be added gain from diode clipping, I don't know for certain. I do know, however, that it sounds good...and sends this amp into nuclear meltdown when engaged. I personally prefer the tone of my DOD 250 pedal (or Bad Monkey) when the amp is just beyond breaking up, but nowhere near the highest gain setting. Like I mentioned in post, I leave the gain at 120...and that is without the gain boost switch engaged.

The fact that it has independent volume and gain on each channel accomplishes the function of having a "Master Volume" circuit, in this amp. In other words, you can get massive distortion (gain) and sustain despite having the volume level at "one".

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

No clips
                          You don't win friends with salad

BRO CLUB MEMBER: NaturalBornBro

All that is needed for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Hmmm...I see the point with the whole master volume thing. Kinda like my buddies Blue Voodoo. Theres a gain and volume for the gain channel, and jsut a volume on the clean channel. When I threw my V-amp into the fx return, none of the volume knobs did anything for the volume, kinda like the master was just at a fixed level.
                            Dont mistake kindness for weakness

Comment

It gets muddy if u dime out the gain with the boost on. But put the gain around 6-7 with the gain boost on and it sounds great and theres plenty of gain.

Yeah, it sounds like dog**************** if you dime it with the boost, but is that really surprising?

I think the best sound is like the OP said; noon with an external boost. The internal boost is meh, but with an SD-1 (as how I ran it) or something similar, it sounds pretty killer.
                              Court Jester of the Ibanez Wizards
                              Mesa/Boogie Mob

Guitars:

Ibanez JS2000
                              Ibanez RG421 w/ Dimarzio TZ+AN
                              Ibanez SC420
                              Fender MIM Strat with built-in Roland GK3
                              Seagull S6

Rig:
                              '94 Mesa DC-5 combo
                              Palmer PDI-09
                              L6 Echo Park