whoa, Peavey Valverb tube preamp?

JonathanLA

• Members

The preamp built in is not really a full-fledged guitar preamp but it's a proper tube preamp, and a good sounding one at that. You can feed it with any kind of signal, even low-level like an acoustic, a Rhodes, a synth etc. and add a nice touch of tube grit. You can also use it to dirty up your guitar tone in conjunction with the output level of the unit. Very underrated unit... I love mine !! :thu:

• Members

yeah, but It's also got a preamp buildt in (peavey classic style? )

no it doesn't, it just has tone controls for the reverb. it's not a preamp except for the drive knob, which just adjusts the signal going into the unit. it's a trem/reverb unit.

• Members

no it doesn't, it just has tone controls for the reverb. it's not a preamp. it's a trem/reverb unit.

Nope, tube preamp as well, but as mentioned, it's more along the lines of a mic preamp. If you wanted, you can run it direct into a power amp and not even use the reverb and tremolo features. Works just fine that way.

• Members

Nope, tube preamp as well, but as mentioned, it's more along the lines of a mic preamp. If you wanted, you can run it direct into a power amp and not even use the reverb and tremolo features. Works just fine that way.

yeah it can be used like that, but it's basically just a buffer amp.

• Members

Nope it can add a lot of gain. So it's really a preamp.

dude, i used to own one. yes, it can add gain. so can a metal zone. if used as a preamp, it's really not very good. if used as a reverb/trem unit, like it's meant to be used, or as a buffer amp in certain effects loops, then it's fantastic.

• Members

dude, i used to own one. yes, it can add gain. so can a metal zone. if used as a preamp, it's really not very good. if used as a reverb/trem unit, like it's meant to be used, or as a buffer amp in certain effects loops, then it's fantastic.

Big difference with a metalzone, the valverb nominal output is 0dBv which is totally suitable for plugging directly into a power amp. You can't do that with a metalzone. Secondly, the valverb is not a special-purpose guitar effect. It's also suitable for synths, Rhodes etc. It does work very well as a preamp for a Rhodes, which is exactly how I use it. I think the overdrive does sound very good for giving bites and weight to any input. You could use it to fatten any kind of signal like voice, drums etc. It's not a simple "buffer" amp. I do not know any other "buffer" amp that provides overdrive.

Archived