Peavey Classic 50/50 or the 60/60?

killersoundz

• Members

the 60/60 weighs a LOT more than the 50/50, but they're equally loud and the 50/50 sounds warmer and punchier.

The 50/50 is 2 rack spaces

the 60/60 is 3 rack spaces

I don't know exact weights, but I would say 25 lbs for the 50/50. I'd say about 35 lbs for the 60/60 (maybe more like 40 though).

• Members

I have a Classic 60, a Classic 60/60, and a Classic 50/50. I like the 50/50 best because it sounds better (the 60 and 60/60 do sound good) it only takes up 2 rack spaces, and it has more features than the other 2, and it's lighter.

• Members

The 50's sound way better in my opinion, the controls are on the front so it's easier to tweek, the benefit of the 60's is that you can usually fetch one for under $200 and often under $150 thats about it, they are not horrible but given the choice the 50/50 would be the way to go..

• Members

i got a Classic 120...feel the wrath! :)

theyll both be loud enough...you dont even have to worry about that part. i can tell you my 120 is HEAVY...and thats just the 120, not the 60/60 or 120/120! LOL

sucks that the volume is on the back, but thats ok...just crank it up, and use the channel volumes on my Rockmaster :)

• Members

I've played both side by side when I owned the Peavey Classic 60/60 and I felt the 60/60 sounded tighter and more punchy. I had it tubed with JJ 6L6GCs and it definitly did highgain tones better than the 50/50.

I'd say try both and see which you like better.

Good luck

• Members

Same here. With my EV loaded Mesa Thieles, I liked the 60/60 over the 50/50 but....tone is soooo subjective.

The volume knob in the back and the extra weight for the 60/60 is a slight hassle.

Once I got the 60/60, I never missed the tone controls of the 50/50 because of the extended highs and lows.

Both are great deals.

EL84s are cheaper but wear out sooner.

Jun

• 5 months later...
  • Members

i got a Classic 120...feel the wrath!
:)

theyll both be loud enough...you dont even have to worry about that part. i can tell you my 120 is HEAVY...and thats just the 120, not the 60/60 or 120/120! LOL

sucks that the volume is on the back, but thats ok...just crank it up, and use the channel volumes on my Rockmaster
:)

Oh yeah! I've got a 120 modded by Bruce Egnater, and it rules. He replaced the 6L6s with 6550s, and added presence and resonance controls, too. It is heavy though. I have it in its own rack though, so it's okay. You can kinda see it at the bottom of this pic. http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p146/one4rich/Gear%20Pics/?action=view&current=PDRM0154.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Peavey Classic 50/50 is a good trade for the Tube Works Pro Valve RT-4250?

8 el84 versus 4 6L6...

Most definitely. While the concept behind the Pro Valve is ahead of it's time, the amp plain sounds awful. Whatever circuits he used to replace the preamp tubes I bet is the culprit.

Jun

• Members

The bigger tube sounds better because it's bigger!:rolleyes:

But seriously, I have owned both(with a Rockmaster preamp AND a Mesa Studio preamp) and I gotta say I think the 60/60 does sound a little punchier. More beef for sure. Really depends on what style you're playing. The 50/50 was good sounding but the 60/60 just hit me in the chest a little more harder!:cool:

Archived