Some choices: Peavey Bandit, Transformer, and Tech 21 Trademark 60

LaLa900

• Members

I am quite indecisive, so I'll need some advice on amps. I think at this moment, I'll be using it 80% at bedroom levels, 10% for gigs (usually gig 2-4 times a month) and 10% for band rehearsals, although my vocalist said we might practice a bit more. I stress 'at home use' because I'd like inspiring tone when I noodle at home. We play rock, indie, and punk. Some things to think about include overall reliability and tone.

The Peavey Bandit is this one, but the 1x12 version (Peavey Solo Series Bandit 112 Amp):

Peavey-Scorpion.jpg

• Members

I think the Peavey Bandits with the Transtube sound pretty good for inexpensive SS amps. They do still have the SS feel but IMO they have more of a tube feel than most SS amps I have tried.

They are very fun amps and for the money I think you would really like the Bandits.

• Members

I wouldn't give any consideration to any of those listed. There are lots of good choices out there. My $500 choice would easily be the Vox AD60VTX. My $350 choice would be a used one of the same model. Otherwise, I'd go with a decent 20-40 watt tube combo. Lots of great ones to choose from in the $250-500 range.

• Members

Well, I'm only looking for solid states. Strictly. A hybrid...maybe.. Don't ask me why.

As for the Vox AD60VTX, in Canada, they are over $1000..

There is actually one in my store a while back and I admit after playing it, it reminded me of a tube amp...a bit. The thing is, it doesn't seem reliable from HC reviews, and a footswitch, which costs as much as a cheap modeling effects pedal, is needed to take advantage of the amp in a gig situation.

Another thing is, isn't the stuff they used inside the amp dangerous? Like isn't the inside of the Vox AD models dangerous for humans if you play it for too long due to heating problems or whatever? The Vox isn't made in USA. Do they use cheaper materials outside of North America? Such as chemicals on the inside of those modeling amps to possibly achieve a good tone? Basically, is the amp harmful to humans?

• Members

I read a review on HC and some user opened up the amp. I forgot exactly what the user said. Maybe I exaggerated or perhaps the amp is not dangerous at all, but can someone confirm about the materials used in the Vox AD series?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the Transformer 112. Just got it a few days ago. Very cool amp. You have to play wiht the cabinet sims to get the amp models to sound better. Most sound better with no cabinet sim. There is also a windows editor to adjsut the bright switch, preamp lows, power amp presence and resonance as well as a -5db pad. Playing with those you can really fine tune how an amp sounds. The effects are good as well.. The footswitch is the best. You can have a normal setting and a boost setting with totally different gain/eq/level settings as well as two efx settings per preset. So you can have two chorus settings for example. One preset can be set with a slightly overdriven amp and the boost setting with that amp model dimed. really cool.

Archived