JSX 6L6 problem

trigun500

• Members

I put in a set of 6L6 tubes in my JSX. I THINK I did everything correct. (switch the switch to 6L6 ect.) The guy who told me how to do the biasing was just by keeping the dial in just left of center.

So I pop them in and they sound great. Well just now I was noticing my sound was sort of cutting out; at first I assumed it was another one of my bad chords but when I looked at my JSX the tubes looks really hot. I ran over and switched the amp off.

Now I kind of don't know where to go. I did some research and it seems that one shouldn't have to worry about blowing tubes on a JSX (compared to a Marshall)

I have a voltmeter here but I don't know which setting to put it on..(this was in a previous tread)

Any help you could give would be great.

Thanks

• Members

yes the guy told me not to with out a meter. And the tubes just looked lie they were glowing A LOT more than normal. They were warm.

The bias range on the JSX is nill..... you can turn it all the way in either direction and you won't hurt anything... It's got a very small range. It will change it a little though, hopefully into an area where it will sound good, so i'd still use the meter to check it...

Anyway, not all tubes work brand new unfortunately. I've seen/heard people getting bunk power and pre tubes brand new.

My buddy actually had the volume cutting out problem last week. I told him to buy new power tubes first(they were old). He did, problem was still there, so he bought new pre's and the problem went away. SInce your amp was fine and when you put the new tubes in it acted up, I would blame the new tubes. But you never know, it could be one of your pre's. start swaping them and find the culprit. Put the old power tubes back in, and if the problem goes away, you know whats causing it.

Archived