Marshall VS265!

Mozimask

• Members

Hey, I've been looking for an amp and I will most probably not have enough funds to get a tube amp but there's a second handed amp I tried in a second handed amp store and it sounded really great! It's an old Marshall ValveState(VS)265, it was in great condition and it cost me only 70$ more than a new Marshall AVT50! (I played the new AVT series and I must say they do sound AWFUL, but nothing like the old series!)

I was wondering about what you think about this amp if you ever tried it? It also has a 1 year's warranty in the store, yes for second handed too!

It has a 12AX7A tube too.

I'm thinking of buying it in one or two days so please tell me as fast as you can because it really sounded great in my opinion(comparing to all the other SS/hybrid amps it was the best by far that I've tried by now).

And just as an option, does the Fender hot rod deluxe go well with distortion pedals or with pedals at all? I might get a second handed one like that if I'll cancel my trip to America.

Thanks in advance,

Moses.

• Members

This is the last time I start any thread with more than three words, seriously, you guys are lazy or what!

I kinda need help on this one(or else I wouldn't post, would I) so could you guys please say anything?!

Will I have to keep bumping it :confused:

• Members

buy it!

I still feel bad that I didn't buy one for 250 dollars 6 years ago!

if you liked it then why don't you just BUY it!??!

plus I don't think the avt50 is stereo! this one is 2x65! am I right?

• Members

I have a Valvestate VS30 and i use a variety of boost pedals with it. Boosting can improve its overdrive tone a lot. I hear good things about the clean channel, and personally i think it's a good-sounding clean.

• Members

I had that exact amp for a while... now I don't
;)

I don't really get it >.>

And yes, it's a 2x65 or so, not sure, I know its name and that it's 2xsomthing :p

The hot rod deluxe is not very much of an option right now, and besides; I'll be able to re-sell the VS if I bought it for just a little bit lower and buy a hot rod later.

The hot rod will most probably cost me about 250-300$ more, and I have no amp at all now, very frustrating that I started almost not playing. Amps are frustrating and I need one as soon as possible.

I must say that the amp I tried at the store(VS265) was in a really quite good condition, it had a bit dust where the speakers are on the cloth in a shape of a circle but beside that, it had a clean sound, no noises, well of course is became noisier on the overdrive channels or at the volume above 7(they didn't allow me to go higher or it would hurt their and my ears) but beside that it was a good amp in my opinion, any more opinions? :p

EDIT: It's celestion speakers.

• Members

I thought that it sounded better than the AVT but I wouldn't say that it sounded good.

So which non-tube amp would you recommend better than it? I repeat, I will not be able to get a all-tube amp.

• Members

Biggest weak point of the VS amps are the speakers. Save a little and put some decent speakers in it and you'll have a really good amp...for the money, anyway.

I've been considering that mod for a while now. I was close to ordering a Celestion G10 Vintage for my VS30. I didn't go through with the purchase, though.

• Members

If I couldn't buy a tube amp I would probably buy a used modeling amp (Flextone II maybe) before i would buy another VS265R. The distortions are just too SS sounding for me.

I don't really like modeling amps, and I can't get Flextone at all here, and too, I didn't like the distortion channel the best, but still the clean channel is what matters in an amp doesn't it? I will most probably buy a tube screamer or any other good overdrive or distortion pedal a few months later.

By the way, I use a MIM strat, I wanted to know how the VS265 sounds with Ibanez's too, since I only tried it with an MIA strat, shouldn't have MUCH of a difference in sound, but still has.

• Members

Does anyone even know why they stopped making the old series of the ValveStates? I mean they are much better than the current ones and cost the same...

Anyone know? or it's simply them "upgrading"?

• Members

I've had a few Marshall Valvestates over the years. I currently have a VS230

(60watts w/ 2 - 10's). It's not my main amp, but I still enjoy it. As mentioned the stock speakers are not the best. I swapped mine out for a couple Eminence speakers and it made a nice difference. The amp has great clean sounds and decent crunch, although it's not the best for high gain leads. I use a Mesa Boogie V-Twin tube pre-amp in front of it and I can get some very nice tone out of the rig. The VS265 was the top of the Valvestate line when it came out and is a worthwhile amp, in my opinion - especially with some new speakers.

• Members

I've been considering that mod for a while now. I was close to ordering a Celestion G10 Vintage for my VS30. I didn't go through with the purchase, though.

I put a Celestion G12 Century in a VS100 combo for a friend. Turned a good value-for-money combo into a giant killer.

• Members

This is the last time I start any thread with more than three words, seriously, you guys are lazy or what!

I kinda need help on this one(or else I wouldn't post, would I) so could you guys please say anything?!

Will I have to keep bumping it
:confused:

265 and 275 are stereo. NTL, a dreadful sounding amp. I wouldn't pay hardly anything for one. But if you like it that's all that matters. PS, I work during the day. Weird, huh?

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Did u get the vs265 afterall? I just recently got one, quite happy with it I have to say. One thing is that it's loud...even when jamming with a drummer and a bassist, I can't even close to 5, otherwise I'll be too loud. Tho it's still a solid state, so I guess lower volume not gonna affect the tone that much...

• Members

Yes, Gold black...

Are those good speakers in general?

With all rock or heavy rock, the amp's OD2 channel is quick sufficient I find...great mids and can really cut through Bass/Drum mix.

But I'm still trying to find which pedal is best to really boost the gain up when playing some heavy metal songs...like another guy posted earlier, OD2 has good crunch but doesn't have enough sustain...

Also still trying to figure whether a dist. pedal should go in front or in the FX loop, as I heard some people say pedals just sounds aweful in front of most Marshalls...

I heard good things about Damage control dist. pedals...it's got 2 tubes in it, looks are already a 10...just wondering how it sounds and how it will match up to my vs265...

• Members

I currently own 2 Valvestates, a 100 watt head and the 65 watt combo. I also have a DSL and a Tech21 Trademark 60 (SS). The VS65 is a great sounding amp, put an EQ in the loop and it will really "open up". You can get a Boss GE-7 for as little as $30 these days on ebay. You can also use the GE-7 in the front to push the preamp!

I'm having a problem with my VS65 combo right now, there must be an intermitent break on a PC board. If I play loud the power cuts in & out. I had removed the head from the cabinet and the problem went away, so it's vibration sensitive break. Before you buy, crank that thing to be sure you don't have any problems. Strike a chord at high volume with a lot of bass and let it ring.

BTY, the Tech 21 solid state amps are excellent but they are a bit more money.

Archived