Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall VS265!

Hey, I've been looking for an amp and I will most probably not have enough funds to get a tube amp but there's a second handed amp I tried in a second handed amp store and it sounded really great! It's an old Marshall ValveState(VS)265, it was in great condition and it cost me only 70$ more than a new Marshall AVT50! (I played the new AVT series and I must say they do sound AWFUL, but nothing like the old series!)
    I was wondering about what you think about this amp if you ever tried it? It also has a 1 year's warranty in the store, yes for second handed too!
    It has a 12AX7A tube too.

I'm thinking of buying it in one or two days so please tell me as fast as you can because it really sounded great in my opinion(comparing to all the other SS/hybrid amps it was the best by far that I've tried by now).
    And just as an option, does the Fender hot rod deluxe go well with distortion pedals or with pedals at all? I might get a second handed one like that if I'll cancel my trip to America.

Thanks in advance,

Moses.

This is the last time I start any thread with more than three words, seriously, you guys are lazy or what!

I kinda need help on this one(or else I wouldn't post, would I) so could you guys please say anything?!
    Will I have to keep bumping it

Comment

buy it!
      I still feel bad that I didn't buy one for 250 dollars 6 years ago!
      if you liked it then why don't you just BUY it!??!
      plus I don't think the avt50 is stereo! this one is 2x65! am I right?
      Great transactions with: Jezuz

Ibanez RGT 3120 (x3)
      Jackson YK13
      Gibson LP BFG
      BC Rich Warlock SE
      Yamaha RGZ custom

Engl Savage 120
      Engl 412 PRO VS
      Marshall 9040
      Marshall 1960 4x12 (2x v30s 2xgt75s)
      Keeley MT-2
      Pod Pro XT
      Boss GT-6
      ISP Decimator
      TS808
      Eventide Timefactor
      EHX MicroPog

Comment

I would buy the Fender hot rod deluxe instead...

I had a Valvestate VS65R... didn

Comment

I have a Valvestate VS30 and i use a variety of boost pedals with it. Boosting can improve its overdrive tone a lot. I hear good things about the clean channel, and personally i think it's a good-sounding clean.

Comment

Biggest weak point of the VS amps are the speakers. Save a little and put some decent speakers in it and you'll have a really good amp...for the money, anyway.
            Nik
            Godin LGXT; G707 with internal GK2.

Weeping Demon; M13;
            AX100 MkII; 9001; Formula; HOG;
            Repeater; Vortex.

Comment

I had that exact amp for a while... now I don't
              "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

Comment

I had that exact amp for a while... now I don't

I don't really get it >.>

And yes, it's a 2x65 or so, not sure, I know its name and that it's 2xsomthing :P
                The hot rod deluxe is not very much of an option right now, and besides; I'll be able to re-sell the VS if I bought it for just a little bit lower and buy a hot rod later.
                The hot rod will most probably cost me about 250-300$ more, and I have no amp at all now, very frustrating that I started almost not playing. Amps are frustrating and I need one as soon as possible.
                I must say that the amp I tried at the store(VS265) was in a really quite good condition, it had a bit dust where the speakers are on the cloth in a shape of a circle but beside that, it had a clean sound, no noises, well of course is became noisier on the overdrive channels or at the volume above 7(they didn't allow me to go higher or it would hurt their and my ears) but beside that it was a good amp in my opinion, any more opinions? :P

EDIT: It's celestion speakers.

Comment

I thought that it sounded better than the AVT but I wouldn't say that it sounded good.
                  "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

Comment

I thought that it sounded better than the AVT but I wouldn't say that it sounded good.

So which non-tube amp would you recommend better than it? I repeat, I will not be able to get a all-tube amp.

Comment

IMHO the VS series amps sound great for the money, ALOT of people
                      don't like them but I have one in my stable. See other amps in my sig
                      Click here for BEN'S TOWER
                      Click here for LUCKY IRISH
                      Click here for ROCK HOP
                      Click Here for my "Super-Grip" Knobs
                      Click Here for my "Super-Speed" Knobs
                      Click Here for my 9V, 500ma Regulated Power Supplies
                      Click Here for my Custom 10ft IEC Power Cables

"RIGHT YOU ARE KEN !!!"

TIMMMAAAYYY!!!

Soldano HR-100XL+
                      Marshall LEAD MOSFET 100W head
                      Marshall VS-65R x 2

Comment

Biggest weak point of the VS amps are the speakers. Save a little and put some decent speakers in it and you'll have a really good amp...for the money, anyway.

I've been considering that mod for a while now. I was close to ordering a Celestion G10 Vintage for my VS30. I didn't go through with the purchase, though.

Comment

If I couldn't buy a tube amp I would probably buy a used modeling amp (Flextone II maybe) before i would buy another VS265R. The distortions are just too SS sounding for me.

Comment

If I couldn't buy a tube amp I would probably buy a used modeling amp (Flextone II maybe) before i would buy another VS265R. The distortions are just too SS sounding for me.

I don't really like modeling amps, and I can't get Flextone at all here, and too, I didn't like the distortion channel the best, but still the clean channel is what matters in an amp doesn't it? I will most probably buy a tube screamer or any other good overdrive or distortion pedal a few months later.

By the way, I use a MIM strat, I wanted to know how the VS265 sounds with Ibanez's too, since I only tried it with an MIA strat, shouldn't have MUCH of a difference in sound, but still has.

Comment

Whatever works for you is what you should get. The clean channel does sound pretty decent on the VS. The Strat is probably going to sound better for cleans, assuming that the Ibanez has humbuckers instead of single coils.

Comment

Working...
                              X