Soldano FX loop mod, need help

Ryan Turner

• Members

I'm looking to mod my Soldano Hot Rod 50+ so that the fx loop level accepts pedals.

Someone on this forum forwarded an email to me from Soldano about modding the fx loop (I'm don't remember who it was). It has instructions, but it's not entirely clear. It says to lower the loop level, reduce the value of the 2.2K resistor that goes from the effects send jack to ground and add a 100uf cap to the 1K cathode resistor of the tube that the loop return jack feeds.

What I need to know is what value resistor do I replace the 2.2K resistor with to get the loop down to an acceptable level for pedals? Also, what voltage handling should the resistor be?

• Members

uh...it was probably me that sent you that email...and guess what? i live in Houston, TX. PM me and I'll give you my contact information and we can talk over the phone. I've also performed a few other mods to my HR50+. Thanks.

• Members

yes you can still use rack FX...assuming your rack FX have a +4db/-10db switch on them.

basically you can ONLY add the resistor which lowers the signal level but also lowers the overall loudness of the amp...which i actually prefer. if you ran your amp at 3, now you run it at around 4.5-5. its still plently loud though.

adding the capacitor brings the volume level back up to where it was in the stock form. so you can really do one or the other...or both if you prefer.

essentially the resistor is on the "send" side of the loop (lowering the level), and the capacitor is on the "return" side of the loop (boosting the level).

• Members

i found that by simply using a second 2.2k resistor in parallel with the existing resistor was enough to work well with my pedals. also the resistors and capacitors should 1/2W.

by putting in a second resistor in parallel, you don't even have to remove the existing one...but you could remove it and put in something like a 1.0k resistor.

• Members

i'm currently running my Soldano HR50+ with a G-System...and I've added some capacitor mods to the circuit as well...similar to the WH mod, but this is on both the clean and OD channel, and works no matter what the gain setting is...and allows you to very subtly remove some of the Soldano Sizzle...if you need!!!

• Members

Hmm...is this hard to do? My brother is an electrical engineer...I have no experience with this kind of stuff. I think I'd like to do the mod where you cut the volume down as well (add 1 resistor). I don't really use the WH's mod on mine btw.

• Members

Hmm...is this hard to do? My brother is an electrical engineer...I have no experience with this kind of stuff. I think I'd like to do the mod where you cut the volume down as well (add 1 resistor). I don't really use the WH's mod on mine btw.

It's pretty easy to use, but in general EE's should stick to the desk and stay away from the bench. What you need is a technician :p

• Members

I had a HR-100 XL+ and I 'm pretty sure you parallel another 2k or so

or replace with a 1K is what I did in addition to the cap replacement.

It worked great, no complaints. Any questions ? Bill Sundt will help.

• Members

It's pretty easy to use, but in general EE's should stick to the desk and stay away from the bench. What you need is a technician
:p

I'm confused are you guys saying I need a technician or is it something I can do myself? It sounds pretty simple from what you guys say. I probably won't need to do it for little while, but it's great to hear that there is a solid workaround. Why wouldn't they manufacture their amps like this?...just because not all rack effect equipment's level is variable?

• Members

uh...it was probably me that sent you that email...and guess what? i live in Houston, TX. PM me and I'll give you my contact information and we can talk over the phone. I've also performed a few other mods to my HR50+. Thanks.

Hey man, I think it was you. I might take you up on that when I get down to doing the mod:D.

What else have you modded on your HR50+?

• Members

I sent you an e-mail. Below is the schematic Bill Sundt at Soldano sent me to mod the loop on my Reverb O Sonic. I never tried it, I traded the amp instead.:cool:

Ron,

I have attached a schematic. To lower the loop level reduce the value of

the 2.2K resistor that goes from the effects send jack to ground. Add a 100uf

cap to the 1K cathode resistor of the tube that the loop return jack

feeds.

Bill Sundt

SoldanoROSschematic2.jpg

• Members

I sent you an e-mail. Below is the schematic Bill Sundt at Soldano sent me to mod the loop on my Reverb O Sonic. I never tried it, I traded the amp instead.
:cool:

Ron,

I have attached a schematic. To lower the loop level reduce the value of

the 2.2K resistor that goes from the effects send jack to ground. Add a 100uf

cap to the 1K cathode resistor of the tube that the loop return jack

feeds.

Bill Sundt

SoldanoROSschematic2.jpg

Yeah, now I remember! I forgot because I deleted the PM a while back.

I tried to email Bill, but never got a response back. They must be busy over there.

• Members

I'm confused are you guys saying I need a technician or is it something I can do myself? It sounds pretty simple from what you guys say.

OK, to be serious, it's simple if you know what you're doing, but if you've never soldered and don't know how to drain the caps etc., you shouldn't be poking around in there.

And the thing about your brother being an EE was a joke. In the electronics industry, the EE guys just design stuff on computers, it's the technicians who do the actual soldering, assembly, testing etc. In a lot of labs, they joke that they don't like to let the EE's in because they always break stuff. One of the EE's I know freely admits that's he's totally lost in the lab and doesn't even want to go in there. So just because someone is an EE doesn't mean they know how to solder and mod circuits. I grew up doing that stuff as a kid and still do it and learned about tube amps because I enjoy it, but my day job involves absolutely none of that, no soldering, no high voltage, no big filter cap cans, no warm tubes....

• Members

OK, to be serious, it's simple if you know what you're doing, but if you've never soldered and don't know how to drain the caps etc., you shouldn't be poking around in there.

And the thing about your brother being an EE was a joke. In the electronics industry, the EE guys just design stuff on computers, it's the technicians who do the actual soldering, assembly, testing etc. In a lot of labs, they joke that they don't like to let the EE's in because they always break stuff. One of the EE's I know freely admits that's he's totally lost in the lab and doesn't even want to go in there. So just because someone is an EE doesn't mean they know how to solder and mod circuits. I grew up doing that stuff as a kid and still do it and learned about tube amps because I enjoy it, but my day job involves absolutely none of that, no soldering, no high voltage, no big filter cap cans, no warm tubes....

Yeah, I thought you were making a joke there about that...I just wanted to make sure I got your advice straight. Thanks for the insight.

• Members

BTW, if you want to cut the volume down, you can just put something like a volume pedal in the loop, it's not much different than what the mod does. In fact, you can just stick a pot in there like that volume pot box that they sell on ebay. In fact again, if you don't have any experience with electronics but would like to get your feet wet with a simple project, the fx loop volume pot thing is a nice easy project that you can try. All you need is a 1M ohm audio (or log) taper pot, a couple 1/4" mono jacks, a little wire and a box to put it all in. Even if you screw it up, it's not gonna do any damage to the amp.

• Members

I'll look into that. Sounds like a fun project. I like the volume pedal I have out front right now and it has 10 LED's to show my volume level which is nice. I always wanted to get into to this kind of stuff and figure it will pay dividends later down the road...now I have a good place to start. I was considering buying a THD Hot Plate for awhile - this sounds like a cheaper alternative.

• Members

Also check out the effects projects at tonepad.com. Effects pedals are a good way to gain more experience and confidence in electronics with guitar related projects and tonepad lists a bunch of projects along with skill level ratings. If you google DIY guitar effects you find a whole lot of info.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Another quick question, what voltage should the capasitor that goes on the 1K cathode resistor on the effects return be?

I did the mod today, but I haven't gotten a chance to fire the amp up. I replaced the 2.2K resistor on the effect send with a 1K resistor and I put a 10V 100uF cap on the 1K cathode resistor on the effects loop return.

I hope it worked out, I've been wanting to get an echo/delay pedal and would like to use it in the loop.

• Members

you should have used a 100v cap that is 1uf. at least, that's the mod on the SLO.

The mod was forwarded to me from Bill Sundt. The FX loop mod he wrote about was for the reverb-o-sonic and hot rod series.

What's a safe voltage to use?

• Members

yes you can still use rack FX...assuming your rack FX have a +4db/-10db switch on them.

basically you can ONLY add the resistor which lowers the signal level but also lowers the overall loudness of the amp...which i actually prefer. if you ran your amp at 3, now you run it at around 4.5-5. its still plently loud though.

adding the capacitor brings the volume level back up to where it was in the stock form. so you can really do one or the other...or both if you prefer.

essentially the resistor is on the "send" side of the loop (lowering the level), and the capacitor is on the "return" side of the loop (boosting the level).

I wonder if using an eq pedal in the loop set with the level up a little would be all you'd need to get the volume back up if it was ever desired.

• Members

Another quick question, what voltage should the capasitor that goes on the 1K cathode resistor on the effects return be?

I did the mod today, but I haven't gotten a chance to fire the amp up. I replaced the 2.2K resistor on the effect send with a 1K resistor and I put a 10V 100uF cap on the 1K cathode resistor on the effects loop return.

I hope it worked out, I've been wanting to get an echo/delay pedal and would like to use it in the loop.

bump

Archived