Volume pedal Pros and Cons; Is it really a neccessity on my board?

STEEL KAGE

• Members

It can be a great tone control. Back it off for clean, press it up for distortion. Have been thinking of getting one though I kinda like being able to move around and then just use the guitar volume controls.

• Members

It's an expression pedal. You either use one or you don't really, it's like asking if you should have a wah on your board. It's personal taste. If you've never used one you won't miss it.

-W

Comparing a volume pedal to a wah? I dont think so... Ive found since playing in my cover band that I tend to mess with my volume a bit more and Im thinking that it may be easier with a pedal.

Im thinking that maybe I should have had one all along...

• Members

I'm in a Top 40's cover band so a volume pedal is a vital part of my rig. There are times when I need to turn down my volume while the singer is doing his/her thing but I don't need to turn down my gain like what a volume knob does so that's when my volume pedal does it's work.

• Members

I used one for a while, but got rid of it 2 years ago and haven't missed it yet. It's easier for me to just use the volume knob on my guitar. I see a lot of people in metal bands using them to control feedback because they have their gain cranked all the way up. Seems like too much work to have to rock a pedal back and forth 100 times in a song if there are a lot of rests in it.

• Members

I think it is a pretty good investment. It allows you to very easily control an shape your tone from the board. I am considering running my amp at half volume and boosting it for my rhythm tone and then just increasing my volume for the leads.

• Members

owning only single-channel amps, i find them absolutely 100% necessary. i don't really like the sweep of my EBMM pedal, but i plan on replacing the pot in the near future to try to correct that. i can't really imagine being without one again.

of course if i owned something like a Diezel Herbert with 320892803240 MIDI configurations and a multi-FX that would suit it, i could see not owning a volume pedal. :thu:

• Members

Ive been battling with this and Im curious what you guys think. I can see being useful mainly for being easier to roll my guitars volume on and off but what are the other benefits?

Kage

not necessary. just work the guitar, baby! keep that board as simple as possible, imo. that way you can work on the crowd connection and minimize looking down to tap dance as much as possible.

mine: tuner, wah, od1, od2, 1 favorite modulation pedal, delay.

however, i do really enjoy going just guitar -> od -> amp.

:wave:

• Members

I just bought one and used it at a gig Saturday night. I used it for volume swells mainly but actually I prefer to do swells with the guitar volume, probably because I've always done it that way. I do like having the tuner out jack.

I'm with you in that I don't really know if its something I'm going to like. I'll use it for awhile and then decide if I want to keep it.

I'm an old dog. Its hard for me to learn new tricks.

• Members

I have one... But its not on my board. I have the Morely Pro Series where you can set the minimum volume. Comes in handy before I learned my guitars volume knob better. I would probably throw it back on the board if I used a one channel amp and needed a good change between clean and kill. Or if I did alot of volume swells.

I do have a wah pedal on my board though to bail me out on a couple leads. The parts I use it on arent even supposed to have it. LOL. But it sounds good and the band loves it so it stays.

I got a huge board to but only what I really need stays on there but there plenty of room to swap things in and out.

• Members

I like having one, it's useful in a number of ways. Just make sure you buffer your signal properly as a pot wired in series will suck some tone. I've also heard the tuner out will kill the signal a bit too, I don't use mine.

• Members

Comparing a volume pedal to a wah? I dont think so... Ive found since playing in my cover band that I tend to mess with my volume a bit more and Im thinking that it may be easier with a pedal.

Im thinking that maybe I should have had one all along...

That's why I'm going to get one once the JMP I just bought rolls in. :cool:

• Members

I have one... But its not on my board. I have the Morely Pro Series where you can set the minimum volume. Comes in handy before I learned my guitars volume knob better. I would probably throw it back on the board if I used a one channel amp and needed a good change between clean and kill. Or if I did alot of volume swells.

I do have a wah pedal on my board though to bail me out on a couple leads. The parts I use it on arent even supposed to have it. LOL. But it sounds good and the band loves it so it stays.

I got a huge board to but only what I really need stays on there but there plenty of room to swap things in and out.

What band are you in now? Playing anywhere soon?

• Members

I have used one for a long time. I use mine in front of the amp. It basically acts like the guitars volume control, so you can back off the volume, and it cleans up the disortion somewhat. On the other hand, if you put the pedal in your loop, it acts as a master volume. You can turn down your volume without losing gain.

• Members

What band are you in now? Playing anywhere soon?

Hey bro. Our Misery is our name at least for now. Just a metal cover band, although we have acouple originals in the oven. We dont play out or have a My Space page or anything like that yet. We need a singer! I have yet to have my first gig and would like to get it out of the way. I have been preparing for it since Febuary.

We are concentrating on the music. The drummer is becoming the mad scientist recording all our practices on like 15 channels or some {censored}. His kit takes up over 10 tracks just by itself. We are trying to get a CD together to give to bar owners or whatever.

• Members

Hey bro. Our Misery is our name at least for now. Just a metal cover band, although we have acouple originals in the oven. We dont play out or have a My Space page or anything like that yet. We need a singer! I have yet to have my first gig and would like to get it out of the way. I have been preparing for it since Febuary.

We are concentrating on the music. The drummer is becoming the mad scientist recording all our practices on like 15 channels or some {censored}. His kit takes up over 10 tracks just by itself. We are trying to get a CD together to give to bar owners or whatever.

A guy that I used to play with is putting together a jam thing and wants me to get in but I am not sure that I can commit. What covers are you playing now? He is really a great singer and may be interested in giving it a go if the tunes are right.

Sorry about the hi-jack Kage! I will take this to the PM route.

• Members

A guy that I used to play with is putting together a jam thing and wants me to get in but I am not sure that I can commit. What covers are you playing now? He is really a great singer and may be interested in giving it a go if the tunes are right.

Sorry about the hi-jack Kage! I will take this to the PM route.

Ill shoot you a PM bro.

Archived