Marshall 5010

guitardude900

• Members

This is a solid state amp. I think it's rated at 30 watts with a 12" speaker. It is one channel.

Anyone have experience with this? How does it hold up in a small to medium sized venue? I played with a Marshall MG50DFX before and volume-wise it was good enough. Can the same be said about the 5010?

~ $299 CAD

• Members

For whatever it's worth:

I have a Marshall 5210 solid state combo. I've had it for 22 years. It was my main amp from 1986 - 1993.

I had to take it in to get it fixed at least once a year... but I played the HELL out of it!!

I still have it and it's in perfect working condition now.

Here's a clip:

• Members

WHAT....

I thought these things were reliable!

Doesn't Marshall make any SS amps that ARE reliable?

Well.... if it's any consolation.. I haven't had to get it repaired since 1993. :D

But that could be because I only use it once in a while. :cool:

• Members

Doesn't Marshall make any SS amps that ARE reliable?

Perhaps it would have been better branding not to slap the Marshall name on some of their products. MDF cabinets come to mind, as do the MG and Valvestate lines. Also, I am not a fan of the plastic corners and jacks - they seem like shortcuts that are probably just the tip of the cost-savings pyramid.

• Members

I have two of them, one with a larger cabinet than the other. I tell you something, tone wise it pisses all over an MG, probably down to the celestion speaker. I use 1 of them at band practice, full-on drummer and everything and it's plenty loud enough, with the two it's blaring:thu:

it's loads louder than an MG30.

• Members

Perhaps it would have been better branding not to slap the Marshall name on some of their products. MDF cabinets come to mind, as do the MG and Valvestate lines. Also, I am not a fan of the plastic corners and jacks - they seem like shortcuts that are probably just the tip of the cost-savings pyramid.

I can assure you these amps are very well made, they were made in England with proper made in england celestion speakers and are nothing like the new cheapo marshalls, I've never had a problem with them ever, the plastic corners on these amps are the same fullsize as found on all marshall 4x12 cabs and they are probably better than those little thin metal ones that a lot of amp makers use. nothing to do with cost cutting at all.

• Members

I don't know if I should pick one up. DOes the 5010 clean up well? Since it only has one channel.

Still choosing between the Marshall 5010 and the Fender Ultimate Chorus DSP..

how much are you paying for the marshall, I paid

• Members

Well, the 5010 is listed at $299 CAD.

Keep in mind, I only plan to have one guitar amp. Don't know which would be better in the long run, the Fender Ultimate Chorus or the Marshall 5010. I'll have to pay more for the Fender, but these are pretty much the two amps I am focusing on now.

I am in a 4-piece band playing indie, rock and punk. Cleans to mid gain is really important. High gain is not as much.

• Members

Well, the 5010 is listed at $299 CAD.

Keep in mind, I only plan to have one guitar amp. Don't know which would be better in the long run, the Fender Ultimate Chorus or the Marshall 5010. I'll have to pay more for the Fender, but these are pretty much the two amps I am focusing on now.

I am in a 4-piece band playing indie, rock and punk. Cleans to mid gain is really important. High gain is not as much.

$299...that's

• Members

I don't disagree with you regarding those older SS amps! My post was really directed more toward the MG/Valvestates of late.

cool, I didn't mean to sound narky, but I guess I did!!:thu::)

and yes...they are very poor now.

• Members

For some reason though, I'd like to get a vintage Marshall. Reviews seem to show it's more reliable than the newer MG models. The 5010 is made in England and I think the MG was made in India, which can be a difference. I like the simplicity of an amp. I'd like to rely on my dynamics and volume knob for cleans. Is the Marshall good in this department?

I guess it comes down to pricing. $299 may be a bit high on pricing, but here's one in another area. I live in Canada by the way. I guess if you're in Britain you'd get cheaper Marshalls.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/370442450.html

Archived