How much of your music collection is pirated?

danbronson

• Members

I'm curious about how many people pay for their music. No need to reply if you don't want to, we can keep it anonymous (I know some people are hardcore about not pirating).

Personally, I prefer to support a band by seeing their show. So I download a fair amount these days, but still haven't downloaded more than I've bought. Maybe about 30% downloaded.

• Members

it really depends on what you consider pirated.... I don't call doing a mate a cd equivalent of a 'mix tape' a pirate cd.
The other thing is, I buy a lot of my cd's used off ebay, the artist gets no money out of me anyway, so that's really just as bad....
Also the first time I stared getting mates to copy me thier cd's was because I couldn't buy the album on vinyl, so that was the record companies fault. I don't see why I should be forced into buying a {censored}ty cd.
When I hear the term 'pirate cd' I think of it as a bootleg that someone is selling to make money, if you are just copying it for a mate, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, we've all beeen doing that since the invention of cassettes.....I can remember taping songs off the radio when I was a kid:thu:

• Members

at least 40%. now. I went on a spree recently, but seriously most of it is old, odd, out of print stuff some nice guys ripped onto the internet. I really do like to contribute to the artist, especially somebody I believe in. Most recent buy :Tom Waits-Orphans [paid full damn price too]

• Members

I have lots I didn't pay for, but nearly all of it is stuff given to me by friends that I don't listen to. I buy CDs I like. Hard for me to figure it out, as it appears to be a matter of perspective. I periodically delete stuff I never listen to, balancing the ratio between stuff I have and haven't paid for more realistically, but I haven't done it in a while.

• Members
all 21 gigs of it.

62 gigs here..... :D

BUT I do purchase some things, from bands that I truely want to support.

Most of the stuff, I have downloaded, are things that I've had (purchased) in the past, and either can no longer buy, or have bought so damned many copies (cassettes/CDs) that I dont even bother.

I wonder how many copies of CFH, Puppets, Justice, and numerous others I have paid for? I know CFH, I had bought at least 10 copies at one point, from wearing them out, to accidentally leaving in the sun in my car, to having them stolen from "friends" etc.....

• Members

probably about 75 percent. But that bands that I download, are never local acts or smaller touring bands that need money.

And, I ALWAYS go to the shows and buy merch. That's where I do all my clothe s shopping. So, I always support the bands that I listen too. If i actually REALLY enjoy a cd I have dowloaded, I'll buy it.

• Members

I bought everything in my collection.

Back in the day before the Napster and Kazaa crackdown I had my share of pirated {censored}, but I've either lost or ditched all of it. It all sucked, anyway, because it was all {censored} I was into when I was a kid in high school. :p

• Members

I have a good bit of downloaded music, but the vast majority of it is albums and discography's of band i've never listened to before or knew about, so I Dl'd them to see what they were about.

Music and bands I like, I tend to buy. Alot of it is purchased doubly, as I collect vinyl and buy the CD to listen to in my car.

The idea behind that being, if you're a {censored} band or put out {censored} music, you might end up in a dark corner of my hardrive, if you're lucky. If you put out good or even decent music, you have a much better chance of getting my money.

Archived