Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of your music collection is pirated?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of your music collection is pirated?

I'm curious about how many people pay for their music. No need to reply if you don't want to, we can keep it anonymous (I know some people are hardcore about not pirating).

Personally, I prefer to support a band by seeing their show. So I download a fair amount these days, but still haven't downloaded more than I've bought. Maybe about 30% downloaded.
    The Signal Studio on MySpace

Download The Shapes's EP + 4 singles, FREE (I play drums in this band)
    Download Fist Of God's EP, FREE (I play guitar in this band)

Comment

Id say 30 to 40% It depends if I deem the album worthy of purchase. I prefer the quality of an original disc. And I like to support the little guys.

Comment

it really depends on what you consider pirated.... I don't call doing a mate a cd equivalent of a 'mix tape' a pirate cd.
        The other thing is, I buy a lot of my cd's used off ebay, the artist gets no money out of me anyway, so that's really just as bad....
        Also the first time I stared getting mates to copy me thier cd's was because I couldn't buy the album on vinyl, so that was the record companies fault. I don't see why I should be forced into buying a ****************ty cd.
        When I hear the term 'pirate cd' I think of it as a bootleg that someone is selling to make money, if you are just copying it for a mate, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, we've all beeen doing that since the invention of cassettes.....I can remember taping songs off the radio when I was a kid

Comment

probably 80% of the stuff I've gotten since they figured out how to compress sound... I just don't hear that much stuff I think is worth paying for.

Comment

The other thing is, I buy a lot of my cd's used off ebay, the artist gets no money out of me anyway, so that's really just as bad....

this is something rarely mentioned

kudos for even bringing it up

Comment

all 21 gigs of it.
              Gear
              Mesa .50 Caliber
              Charvel thing with a GFS Crunchy Rails
              Ibanez delay
              Detuned Avatar 4x12
              MusicMan 4x12
              For Sale

Comment

this is something rarely mentioned

kudos for even bringing it up

cheers...and the other point to that is:
                the guy selling it probably copied it before he sold it!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I havent bought a CD since 1999
                  Rock 'n rolling black/death metal :
                  http://www.facebook.com/beerbleeding
                  http://www.myspace.com/beerbleeding

Comment

10-20 records out of 2000 CDs or so.
                    That's less than 1%, so I voted 0%.

Comment

I havent bought a CD since 1999

well, I mean in a store, I often buy CDs from local bands at concerts
                      Rock 'n rolling black/death metal :
                      http://www.facebook.com/beerbleeding
                      http://www.myspace.com/beerbleeding

Comment

at least 40%. now. I went on a spree recently, but seriously most of it is old, odd, out of print stuff some nice guys ripped onto the internet. I really do like to contribute to the artist, especially somebody I believe in. Most recent buy :Tom Waits-Orphans [paid full damn price too]

Comment

I have lots I didn't pay for, but nearly all of it is stuff given to me by friends that I don't listen to. I buy CDs I like. Hard for me to figure it out, as it appears to be a matter of perspective. I periodically delete stuff I never listen to, balancing the ratio between stuff I have and haven't paid for more realistically, but I haven't done it in a while.

Comment

0% - only exception being compiliations or a "mixed tape" someone might burn for me.
                            Pete
                            My New CD - Special Price!
                            My Previous CD
                            My Myspace Page
                            Kurgan's Bane

Comment

About 20 albums out of 400 are burned CD copies. These are generally albums that are discontinued or things I wouldn't have bought anyway.
                              Professor Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X