micing amps?

cavemanic

• Members

Hey guys

figured this would be better to ask than the recording forum but just interested in what you use for micing your amps for recording and also what techniques (distances etc)

Technique is: listen while playing and having the mic moved around to the spot that sounds the best to you.

• Members

An SM-57 or 421 combined with a ribbon mic are common mics used. A common method is to place them next to each other on one speaker (in close proximity to avoid phase issues) -1-3" off the grille. If you have an open-back combo-try putting a mic in the back of the cabinet to get some extra bottom/different tone. Just remember to flip polarity on the back mic when mixing with any mics used in front of the amp to avoid cancellations.

Play the guitar with headphones on away from the amp and have someone move the mics around while you play. You'll get to hear the subtle differences of each position.

Sound-wise, there really is no right or wrong way. If it sounds right to you and works for the song -then it's right.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Hello from Atlantic Canada,

This is my first posting here on Harmony Central and although I've only been reviewing this particular topic I can see that there is a huge amount of information available on this and other topics and will be checking it out later.

So, after reviewing several postings here (and at other web sites) it appears that the Shure SM57 is the most popular mic used for "micing an amp". With that in mind I will most likely be purchasing one this week at the Long & McQuade music store here in Saint John. My question is this: Will it be necessary to run the "amp mic" throught a DI Box? I haven't been using a DI Box for my vocal mic but was thinking if it's necessary to run the "Amp Mic" through a DI Box then I would purchase a unit with 2 inputs and run both mics through it. I am presently using a PAX - Dynamic Microphone for vocals and it seems to be working very well without a DI Box.

I thank you in advance for any information//advice you may wish to offer.

Clay

• Members

Newfiebro wrote:

My question is this: Will it be necessary to run the "amp mic" throught a DI Box? 

Answer to your question is "no".  Quality microphones like the SM57 already use balanced, low-impedance cable to connect the mic to the recording console, recording interface, or PA mixer. A direct box is usually used to convert an unbalanced, high-impedance signal (like an electric bass guitar) to a balanced, low-impedance signal for connection to a console, interface or mixer. A direct box is only needed when running an instrument "direct", in other words, without a microphone. 

Archived