Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Recto is irritating me...

No matter what I do, I just can't get satisfied with my amp. Now, I love the clean, although I don't think it's something I couldn't find anywhere else. It's the high gain that's pissing me off. And me being a metal guy, that's kind of important.

For example, everyone says that amps sound better when they're cranked. Well, I can get pretty decent tone at a low (relatively, like 90 on the master) volume, nice thick crunchy stuff. But then when I turn it up it just turns to crap, muddy, notes have no definition or sound harsh, tremolo sound ghastly. Now, I suppose it might be the cab (it's a fairly cheap cab) but the speakers in it are nice (V30's and Wizards). And this is with a hell of a lot of tweaking of the gain, with and without a boost (punch factory), EQ in the loop with tons of settings. No matter what, when I turn it up it sounds crappy. And when the volume is lower, it sounds good, but not that good. I could get close to the sound with a solid state. And it has that harsh fizzyness which seems to never quite go away - I can get rid of it but at the expense of the power of my

Now I know a whole lot of bands use the dual rectifier (granted most of them don't use the T-verb, but it's essentially the same to my knowledge). So it must be possible to get better tone. I know I probably need to upgrade my cab (I'm looking at a Mesa cab which I posted about earlier). I also might have some of this fixed by playing a guitar with EMG's - which I've been thinking of getting for a while. But it seems that neither of these things will solve everything. I need an amp that has lots of gain, specifically the "modern" gain sound, but also has lots of clarity and smoothness. So far I just can't get that sound out of my dual recto. Maybe this is why a lot of people hate them.

I am getting pretty close to selling this thing and replacing it. So, I'm looking for either suggestions on how to get the sound I'm looking for with this amp, or what amp I should be getting. I've been thinking for a while about the Mark IV, seems like it might be more what I'm interested in. The other thing I've been considering is either an Engl Powerball or Blackmore.
    Guitars: Washburn WG-587 | Roter | Fernandes | Tokai
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra -> ART SLA-2

Bands: Solecism (prog death) | Kisama (black) | Kuroi (brutal) | Embalm (death metal)
    Clips/songs (many styles): soundclick|netmusicians
    Vids: youtube

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

send it to me. i'll make it sound nice.
    HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

My Single was hit or miss. I got tired of fighting it so I got rid of it.
      My References

PMing me about who is in my avatar is creepy, so don't. Don't ask tommythelurker either because he'll PM the mods.

Comment

MESA RECTOS suck. Get a real amp. And be happy.

Comment

MESA RECTOS suck. Get a real amp. And be happy.

OK genius, what's a REAL amp?
          My References

PMing me about who is in my avatar is creepy, so don't. Don't ask tommythelurker either because he'll PM the mods.

Comment

Comment

OK genius, what's a REAL amp?

Anything other than BOOGIES.

Comment

Anything other than BOOGIES.

Are you mad because you can't afford them?
                My References

Comment

if its irritating you, thats because they dont go in your butt.

i think it may be one of those things were you are using the "standard" of metal gear and it sounds vanilla to you.

go check out some bogner or some other higher end high gain amps.

also for clarity, i dont think active pickups are where its at. try some high output passives. you may be surprised.
                  Test Tech Wattson Classic ElectronicsEL KABONG wrote: I turned down $25 grand cash for gay sex.

Comment

Ever try boosting it with a maxon?

Ever try an EQ in the loop?

Are you using a solid state recifier?

How much gain?

What kind of pickups?
                    Grind = Emotion

Originally Posted by Johnny Z

To all you dopers who didn't like my post, party up fools. And take your chances with the law. Hope you all go to jail.

Originally Posted by ¤ EnglMatt ¤

No wonder you Americans are all fat.

Originally Posted by senor-penguin

I ****************ing hate hardcore kids

Comment

How old are the tubes? Last month I posted a MINT Recto straight cab on Craig's list here in Chicago and on Harmony Central for $525 and nothing. With all the metal heads, I thought it wouldn't last a few days. I ended up trading it in at GC. Oh well.
                      Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12
                      Marshall 1960 Handwired 4x12 w/ Heritage G12h-30's
                      Fender Reissue Twin Reverb

USA Jackson KV2-T (25.5" scale)
                      Fender Custom Shop Strat Pro
                      Paul Stanley Ibanez Iceman
                      Dean EVO Premium

Comment

How much gain?

What kind of pickups?

1. lots

2. emg's
                        Test Tech Wattson Classic ElectronicsEL KABONG wrote: I turned down $25 grand cash for gay sex.

Comment

My Single was hit or miss. I got tired of fighting it so I got rid of it.

I feel the same way. Should I go with a Mark IV? All signs are pointing me that way, except that I could get a powerball for just a few hundred bucks more, or a blackmore for about the same amount.

But for some reason, despite my experiences with this amp, there's something which makes me think ultimately I want something by Mesa.

Bands: Solecism (prog death) | Kisama (black) | Kuroi (brutal) | Embalm (death metal)

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

Are you mad because you can't afford them?

Owned a new MESA F-50...for about 5 days. Took it back and bought a 5150II. Never looked back.

Comment

How old are the tubes? Last month I posted a MINT Recto straight cab on Craig's list here in Chicago and on Harmony Central for $525 and nothing. With all the metal heads, I thought it wouldn't last a few days. I ended up trading it in at GC. Oh well.

There's a Mesa recto straight cab on Chicago craig's list right now for $450, I'm thinking of snatching it up.

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

Working...
                              X