Guitarists dont need big 100 watt amps

RJofGreatness

• Members

my DJ/soundman friend said to me today.

he said " because your amp is growing through my big sound system, you dont need any expensive amp with all that volume"

i told him, "well, if i were to put a piece of {censored} amp in front of your amazing sound system, then it will always sound like {censored}, no matter how awesome your sound system, but if i had an awesome amp and i had to deal with some idiot with a {censored}ty system, i could always crank my amp and bypass a {censored}ty system that may make my sound suffer or just take away from the other performers in my band."

and he says "why would you hire a soundguy with a {censored}ty system"

i say "small bands dont always have a choice, we must make use of what we are provided with"

He says "pffft bull{censored}. i still dont get why you spend so much money on guitar amps when all the sound comes through my system"

i say "you dont get it because you arent a musician, you are a random douche that does not understand sound. you want an amp that sounds good and will get a sound you want, at whatever volume you think sounds best, and then your job is to replicate that sound but loud enough for all to hear. these big amps that cost more cost more for a reason, because they are intended to sound a certain way that is usually seen as a good sound."

he says" whatever"

what do some people not get, people dont just buy expensive amps for volume, it is a sound thing. {censored}! :mad:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same people who say they can "nail" Metallica tone with their Line 6 Spider 2 combo with a single 12 inch speaker. There aint no amount of splainin to make them understand how utterly stupid they are.

lawlz i can specially with my starcaster lololololololol

• Members

All you need is an expensive low-wattage amp ;) . Or even not that expensive: I'm pretty happy with most of my 15-20W amps - Marshall 2061X, Vox AC15 (vintage and brand new HW) or Deluxe-clone. Even without PA system, but with good cabs (my favorites include Celestion alnico blues or G12H30), you won't have no problem in a band context (except if you need really high volume clean tones), even for loud rock with a loud drummer.

• Members

i want a more metal tone, my dc-3 isnt cutting it at louder volumes, it loses its definition and gets weird sounding... it isnt a very tight amp either, so fast riffing gets kinda lost, even with a boost and at lower volumes. still is fun as hell when jamming with a drummer for some punky rock stuff.

but yeah, this was his response after i told him i might save up for a rack mounted pre and power amp or a mesa dual rectifier, i told him the cost and he laughed in my face.

he also has $4000 in audio equipment built into his car, and he is laughing at me for thinking about spend a little over a grand on an amp.

he is a cool guy if you are into talking about how good the burritos are at pancheros or people... anything music or sound, he pisses me off.

• Members

Once again, its not about volume with a 100 watt amplifier, its about presence, and pressure. You dont get the same kind of "feel" from a low wattage amp.

Sorry but ... bsh!t. You have BETTER feel from a GOOD low wattage amp on 7-10 than from a 100W head on 1,5 on the master (talking about the real life use, in a club or a usual stage - most of us don't play the Shea stadium). And you can use 'em with big cabs if you need to feel a bit of air pushed (I personnaly prefer the 2x12" - sometimes a pair - and nobody forbid to use a 4x12 with a 15W head - you would be surprised how it may push some air). Of course I'm not talking about death metal, but for anything 'till hard rock, it's more than enough.

• Members

my DJ/soundman friend said to me today.

he said " because your amp is growing through my big sound system, you dont need any expensive amp with all that volume"

i told him, "well, if i were to put a piece of {censored} amp in front of your amazing sound system, then it will always sound like {censored}, no matter how awesome your sound system, but if i had an awesome amp and i had to deal with some idiot with a {censored}ty system, i could always crank my amp and bypass a {censored}ty system that may make my sound suffer or just take away from the other performers in my band."

and he says "why would you hire a soundguy with a {censored}ty system"

i say "small bands dont always have a choice, we must make use of what we are provided with"

He says "pffft bull{censored}. i still dont get why you spend so much money on guitar amps when all the sound comes through my system"

i say "you dont get it because you arent a musician, you are a random douche that does not understand sound. you want an amp that sounds good and will get a sound you want, at whatever volume you think sounds best, and then your job is to replicate that sound but loud enough for all to hear. these big amps that cost more cost more for a reason, because they are intended to sound a certain way that is usually seen as a good sound."

he says" whatever"

what do some people not get, people dont just buy expensive amps for volume, it is a sound thing. {censored}!
:mad:

People don't just buy higher wattage amps just for volume, either. Headroom is the primary reason why I prefer at least 100 watts in an amp.

• Members

i want a more metal tone, my dc-3 isnt cutting it at louder volumes, it loses its definition and gets weird sounding... it isnt a very tight amp either, so fast riffing gets kinda lost, even with a boost and at lower volumes. still is fun as hell when jamming with a drummer for some punky rock stuff.

but yeah, this was his response after i told him i might save up for a rack mounted pre and power amp or a mesa dual rectifier, i told him the cost and he laughed in my face.

he also has $4000 in audio equipment built into his car, and he is laughing at me for thinking about spend a little over a grand on an amp.

he is a cool guy if you are into talking about how good the burritos are at pancheros or people... anything music or sound, he pisses me off.

Don't get a Rectifier :p.

And $4000 in a car? {censored}, you should be the one laughing at him :o

• Members

I'd just want one for the headroom, but I still think 100 is too much.

i still think 100 watt amps have more clarity in general and tighter low end over a 50 watt amp, and we all know, there is not much of a volume difference but the feel and sound tends to be very different.

100 watts were made for that reason. so it isnt too much. the 85 watt mark IV does heavy as good as a 100 watt, and even better. :D

• Members

Don't get a Rectifier
:p

And $4000 in a car? {censored}, you should be the one laughing at him
:o

why the hell not, the ones i have tried i liked so much, but i would get an older 2 ch, which i thought sounded fuller and more crushing than the three channels

i did laugh at him and he said he made it all being a dj so it made sense (to him anyway):confused:

i want to get a Mark IV too, but i want a rectifier to have that sound on hand :D

Archived