Guitarists dont need big 100 watt amps

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitarists dont need big 100 watt amps

my DJ/soundman friend said to me today.

he said " because your amp is growing through my big sound system, you dont need any expensive amp with all that volume"

i told him, "well, if i were to put a piece of **************** amp in front of your amazing sound system, then it will always sound like ****************, no matter how awesome your sound system, but if i had an awesome amp and i had to deal with some idiot with a ****************ty system, i could always crank my amp and bypass a ****************ty system that may make my sound suffer or just take away from the other performers in my band."

and he says "why would you hire a soundguy with a ****************ty system"

i say "small bands dont always have a choice, we must make use of what we are provided with"

He says "pffft bull****************. i still dont get why you spend so much money on guitar amps when all the sound comes through my system"

i say "you dont get it because you arent a musician, you are a random douche that does not understand sound. you want an amp that sounds good and will get a sound you want, at whatever volume you think sounds best, and then your job is to replicate that sound but loud enough for all to hear. these big amps that cost more cost more for a reason, because they are intended to sound a certain way that is usually seen as a good sound."

he says" whatever"

what do some people not get, people dont just buy expensive amps for volume, it is a sound thing. ****************!

Well he's kinda right, IMO.

Comment

Same people who say they can "nail" Metallica tone with their Line 6 Spider 2 combo with a single 12 inch speaker. There aint no amount of splainin to make them understand how utterly stupid they are.
      Fiddles: Gibson Les Paul Classic
      Warmoth homebuilt Strat
      Xaviere XV-550

Amps: Splawn Quick Rod and matching 2x12
      Laney VC-30112

good dealings with/trade references: MRAAJR, SMASHINGTIME, STRATOSLACKER, MASTERBURRFOOT, BLUPLIRST

Comment

ummmm, no he aint kinda right imho of course.
        Warmoth homebuilt Strat
        Xaviere XV-550

Laney VC-30112

good dealings with/trade references: MRAAJR, SMASHINGTIME, STRATOSLACKER, MASTERBURRFOOT, BLUPLIRST

Comment

he used to play drums and we know how good an ear they need to do that...

Comment

not really. Not like you can go from gig to gig going "sure hope the guy there doesn't have a suck-ass system, otherwise me and my POD are ****************ed!"
            I'M NOT REALLY A DENTIST!

Originally Posted by BrendanO

"I like the music, but hate the vocals" is the battle cry of the clinically retarded.

Originally Posted by Scott K

Going through this thread is like reading a list of gay.

My Super-Meh rig:

MIM Tele Standard / LTD M1000 / Ibanez RG7321 / Agile AL3500 Les Paul ->
            Boss TU-2 -> Digitech Bad Monkey -> Line 6 DL4
            Peavey 5150 II -> Marshall 1960B w/75s
            Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
            Washburn D10SCE Acoustic
            Line 6 POD X3 Live

Comment

What a douche. I would've taken a dump in the gas tank of his car.
              Gear:
              Ibanez guitars
              Ibanez & Fender amps w/Fender cabs
              various effects
              Planet Waves cables

Good transactions with:
              Juggernaut, LordOVchaos, Critter, creativlogic

Comment

this was the same guy that thought my marshall avt150 was better than my mesa dc-3 because it sounded heavier and groovy...

Comment

Same people who say they can "nail" Metallica tone with their Line 6 Spider 2 combo with a single 12 inch speaker. There aint no amount of splainin to make them understand how utterly stupid they are.

lawlz i can specially with my starcaster lololololololol
                  Originally Posted by Jesse G

EMG's are like McDonald's cheeseburgers of the pickup world

Comment

he used to play drums and we know how good an ear they need to do that...

Originally Posted by Jesse G

EMG's are like McDonald's cheeseburgers of the pickup world

Comment

All you need is an expensive low-wattage amp . Or even not that expensive: I'm pretty happy with most of my 15-20W amps - Marshall 2061X, Vox AC15 (vintage and brand new HW) or Deluxe-clone. Even without PA system, but with good cabs (my favorites include Celestion alnico blues or G12H30), you won't have no problem in a band context (except if you need really high volume clean tones), even for loud rock with a loud drummer.

Comment

Once again, its not about volume with a 100 watt amplifier, its about presence, and pressure. You dont get the same kind of "feel" from a low wattage amp.
                        Warmoth homebuilt Strat
                        Xaviere XV-550

Laney VC-30112

Comment

Once again, its not about volume with a 100 watt amplifier, its about presence, and pressure.

+1

And playing thru a 4x12. People don't give enough credit to the speakers. They are one of the biggest factors in tone.
                          Gear:
                          Ibanez guitars
                          Ibanez & Fender amps w/Fender cabs
                          various effects
                          Planet Waves cables

Good transactions with:
                          Juggernaut, LordOVchaos, Critter, creativlogic

Comment

You should have punched him in the cock
                            Good transactions - cobrahead1030, Troublehead (twice), guitarslinger, schofnsteen, Killing Nevada, theAntihero, Adeamus, 69cutty, Antareus, Knucklefux, JMad81, johnpace2, OverDriven, pixelchemist, AfroSamurai

Comment

I've ran my Marshall vs65r thru many many PA systems and it sounds great, but I dont play hard metal so I can get away with it..

Comment

Working...
                              X