Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crate DX212 ... who out there "gets" a GREAT tone?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate DX212 ... who out there "gets" a GREAT tone?

I am looking for anyone who has a Crate DX212 combo amp that "KNOWS" they have a GREAT tone!

I play an Ibanex SC420BC -- I've had this combination for 5 years and it might be me, but I don't think I am getting the BEST out of the amp!!

Anyone want to discuss settings WITHOUT the use of effects and/or stomp boxes?

Thanks for your input!!
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away!

And, HEY CANCER -- **************** YOU!!

**************** CANCER
    DUSTIN WINS

ummmmmm, I dont even know what to say, so I'll just say nothing
    Fiddles: Gibson Les Paul Classic
    Warmoth homebuilt Strat
    Xaviere XV-550

Amps: Splawn Quick Rod and matching 2x12
    Laney VC-30112

good dealings with/trade references: MRAAJR, SMASHINGTIME, STRATOSLACKER, MASTERBURRFOOT, BLUPLIRST

Comment

ummmmmm, I dont even know what to say, so I'll just say nothing

With a name like almightycrunch, I wish you would say something! Is it the amp? The guitar? Looking for anything!!

Thanks for the reply!

**************** CANCER
      DUSTIN WINS

Comment

Personally, I think Crate makes very good sounding SS amps. I'm sure I'm in the minority here.

I also used to own the same guitar you are playing. One of the better Ibanez guitars out there.

It sounds like you've got a decent setup.

"You won't like me when I'm angry because I back up my rage with facts and documented sources" ~ The Credible Hulk

Comment

If you want better tone and don't want to buy a better amp, consider getting something like a PODxt and running it through the effects return.
          Main Rig:
          LTD EC1000
          Peavey 6505+
          Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 with V30's
          TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
          Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.
          M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

Personally, I think Crate makes very good sounding SS amps. I'm sure I'm in the minority here.

I also used to own the same guitar you are playing. One of the better Ibanez guitars out there.

It sounds like you've got a decent setup.

Thanks jds22!!

The reason for ALL the posts on here and at electric guitars, I've been playing for 39 years! I love Ibanez and Crate together! I had this type of setup for YEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!

I "retired" last September from performing but some musicians in my area are trying to get me back out!! I feel like Glenn Miller (can't find that "sound") when it comes to settings!! The best way, and only way to descibe the "sound" is Jonathon Sykes on "Blue Murder".

Can this be found on the Crate DX212 or am I wasting my time?

**************** CANCER
            DUSTIN WINS

Comment

If you want better tone and don't want to buy a better amp, consider getting something like a PODxt and running it through the effects return.

Thanks OverDriven!!

Check out my last post!! Will this help getting there??

Many thanks!!!

**************** CANCER
              DUSTIN WINS

Comment

Sorry man, I guess Im kind of a snob about this stuff. Im not big on Crate stuff in general(with the exception of some of the vintage club stuff), its kind of entry level kid stuff in my book. Sounds great to your ears when you are young and inexperienced cuz it has a ton of gain and verb and chorus, but then down the road your ears change and you end up going, man, this thing just sounds like ****************. Now, that being said, I really have no idea what you are playing, what you sound like right now, and what you want to sound like, so its tough to decipher. Like I said, Im a snob, and my first thought is to tell you to dump it for something else. but that is snobbish, and thats why I should have kept my mouth shut like I originally posted.
                Warmoth homebuilt Strat
                Xaviere XV-550

Laney VC-30112

good dealings with/trade references: MRAAJR, SMASHINGTIME, STRATOSLACKER, MASTERBURRFOOT, BLUPLIRST

Comment

Sorry man, I guess Im kind of a snob about this stuff. Im not big on Crate stuff in general(with the exception of some of the vintage club stuff), its kind of entry level kid stuff in my book. Sounds great to your ears when you are young and inexperienced cuz it has a ton of gain and verb and chorus, but then down the road your ears change and you end up going, man, this thing just sounds like ****************. Now, that being said, I really have no idea what you are playing, what you sound like right now, and what you want to sound like, so its tough to decipher. Like I said, Im a snob, and my first thought is to tell you to dump it for something else. but that is snobbish, and thats why I should have kept my mouth shut like I originally posted.

You are absolutely right!! I got the setup 5 years ago when I was "pulled" out of retirement (for the second time)!! I got the gear at a local store -- had to buy fast!! The SC420 I got 2 years ago for $500.00 -- what a bargain!!!

It's guys like you and the rest of this community that I envy -- you know your stuff!! I've played for 39 years and my motto was "...just plug it in and wail"!!!! Now, at the tender age of 44 years old "looking" for that last hurrah, I NEED to sound the part!!

Thanks for your thoughts!!

**************** CANCER
                  DUSTIN WINS

Comment

You are absolutely right!! I got the setup 5 years ago when I was "pulled" out of retirement (for the second time)!! I got the gear at a local store -- had to buy fast!! The SC420 I got 2 years ago for $500.00 -- what a bargain!!!

It's guys like you and the rest of this community that I envy -- you know your stuff!! I've played for 39 years and my motto was "...just plug it in and wail"!!!! Now, at the tender age of 44 years old "looking" for that last hurrah, I NEED to sound the part!!

It's guys like you that i envy Just playing the guitar without worrying about what paint color gives the best tone..

Anyway, i think the Crate VTX series sound very good actually, but I'm not familiar with your amp, so sorry.
                    Good transactions: DoubleBarrel, Chrisjd (500$++), RCC

Comment

It's guys like you that i envy Just playing the guitar without worrying about what paint color gives the best tone..

Anyway, i think the Crate VTX series sound very good actually, but I'm not familiar with your amp, so sorry.

Thanks Jopop!

The DX212 was one of the "first" to come out with "emulating" sounds! If I am saying that correctly! It has a dial that can "change" the sound of the amp! 60's/70's Marshall, Vintage Ampeg, "TubeAmp", old "Tweed Amps", etc. It also has a dial-up for modulation from chorus, vibrato, echo, flange, etc.! It was good for where I was going, but I want to go forward with my last band and my tone!!

**************** CANCER
                      DUSTIN WINS

Comment

Dont envy me, it sucks buying all this crap on an endless search for great tone. There is soo much good stuff out there right now, so it all depends on what kind of music you are playing and what kind of tone you're after. If it's John Sykes Blue Murder tone, thats a pretty big leap. Thats pretty much gonna require a Les Paul type guitar and saturated high gain tube amp and a TON of verb and delay.
                        Warmoth homebuilt Strat
                        Xaviere XV-550

Laney VC-30112

Comment

Dont envy me, it sucks buying all this crap on an endless search for great tone. There is soo much good stuff out there right now, so it all depends on what kind of music you are playing and what kind of tone you're after. If it's John Sykes Blue Murder tone, thats a pretty big leap. Thats pretty much gonna require a Les Paul type guitar and saturated high gain tube amp and a TON of verb and delay.

See! Now you're talking!

If I'm gonna come out of "retirement" for the last time -- here's the question!!

An Ibanez SC420 is not the "Les Paul" type of guitar I need? What is YOUR suggestion for a "saturated high gain tube amp"? I really appreciate your opinion(s)!!! Every band I played in, a tech would do his best -- now I want to do mine!!

**************** CANCER
                          DUSTIN WINS

Comment

troll.

Comment

troll.

???

**************** CANCER
                              DUSTIN WINS

Comment

Working...
                              X