Worst amp tone you've ever heard

notcool

• Members

For me, the worst amp tone I've ever heard is the rhythm guitar track on the studio version of Ozzy Osbourne's 'Crazy Train'. It sounds like Randy Rhoads is playing through some cheapass little practice combo turned up full blast with a distortion box hooked up to it. It's gotta be the fizziest and most lifeless tone I've ever heard :mad:

I've checked a few web pages outlining his gear setup, and they all claim that he played through Marshall stacks. But years ago someone told me he played through a little Roland Cube amp cranked full blast and with a distortion box on some of the early recordings. It's a crappy sound nonetheless.

The best sound Rhoads ever got is on a live EP release of 'Mr Crowley', 'You Said It All' and 'Suicide Solution'. He is definitely playing through the Marshalls on that recording. It's a real fat tone with lots of middle, just like a Marshall stack sounds when it's cranked real loud. :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i love randy's playing, but i have to agree with you.

i cannot speculate as far as amps go because as far as im concerned he only ever played marshalls (like you found on many many sites).

id suggest it might have something to do with the mxr dist+ he had in the circuit. i tried one out before and seemed to give me that buzzsaw sound on the record.

if your looking for bad rhythm tone in general, its all over the appetite for destruction album too.

• Members

id suggest it might have something to do with the mxr dist+ he had in the circuit. i tried one out before and seemed to give me that buzzsaw sound on the record.

+1. I had one for a minute and buzzsaw treble is the only description I can give it.

I say Obituary has the worst tone i have heard as far as gain goes.

Neil Young has a horrible classic rock tone, but it fits so well. Makes me cringe though

• Members

I would tend to agree about Randy's tone, but Appetite For Destruction????? wow I'm not a big fan of Guns, but thats some great crunchy tone IMHO.

+1

Randy's tone was horrid at times, but Appetite has some absolutely fantastic tones in it.

the worst tone in the last few years was Dimebag's. holy crap did it suck. cowboys from hell is absolutely terrible.

• Members

The Dallas guitar show had a jam after the actual show, and they had a Peavey backline going (sponsored by Peavey, go figure). Worst tone I have ever heard live.

I'm sure it had more to do with the EQ'ing going on, but Jesus was it bad. The XXX in particular made me want to leave.

On a funny side note, when Paul Reed Smith came up to jam the amp they plugged him into didn't work :D

• Members

You guys are nuts.

Worst tone ever.........I nominate that "round and round" trash. That whole song sounds horrible.

Does he ever tell you "WHY"???

WOrst tones, Id have to go with those fags BUSH....

I think they are one of the worse bands I had the displeasure of ever hearing, but there tone, is just one big pile of {censored}... It sickens me just thinking about it..

And Randy's tone wasnt great either, but.... He was a sloppy rhythm player and his leads werent all that, but he is a GOD!!!!!!!

• Members

Randy was the bomb.

If you rejects would just listen to Ozzy with Jake Lee you would realize randy's tone was grand for exactly what the old chap did with it.

Wut teh fuk? Why all teh randy hating?

I agree with you i love randys tone and playing apparently were the only ones though lol

• Members

And Randy's tone wasnt great either, but.... He was a sloppy rhythm player and his leads werent all that,

:freak:

You got to be kidding me.

Randy had great tone, especially live. If you youngin's had actually seen him live you'd understand.

Sloppy rhythm player :eek: you gotta be kidding me right ? :poke:

Crazy Train has a particular sound to it that no other song on the album has. That was intentional. If you don't like it fine, but don't judge the guys tone based on one song.

Dimebag also had a distinct sound, that worked for what he was doing, and you always knew it was him.

There's tons of people with much worse tone than Randy.

• Members

i love randy's playing, but i have to agree with you.

i cannot speculate as far as amps go because as far as im concerned he only ever played marshalls (like you found on many many sites).

if your looking for bad rhythm tone in general, its all over the appetite for destruction album too.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: You gotta be kidding??? I know you din't!!!!!!!

• Members

:freak:

Sloppy rhythm player
:eek:
you gotta be kidding me right ? :poke:

Crazy Train has a particular sound to it that no other song on the album has. That was intentional. If you don't like it fine, but don't judge the guys tone based on one song.

There's tons of people with much worse tone than Randy.

Randy's timing is sloppy, ESPECIALLY live... Even on record though, but whatver, maybe its intentional..

I dont consider him the WORST tone... I think BUSH does. hehe BUt Randy was mentioned and on the albums he did the tone wasnt all that.. I like Rhoads, but I really dont consider him even in the same league as say EVH.. And I know no one is comparing them, but I used Eddie as reference...

You are right I never saw Randy live. BUt Im 30 years old (not quite the youngin) and have seen numerous videos of him and wasnt at all blown away by it..

Archived