Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some of my favorite tones: Randy, Dimebag, Greg Ginn (dan armstrong > super distortion > Peavey PA amp = ).
    when I came to this forum and read people badmouthing Randy's tone, I almost cried myself to sleep!
    and the best part is that I ended up finding the best deal EVER for a plexi clone, even though most of my favorite tones sound like SS ice picks to the forehead.
    Originally Posted by Motorik

If I were a boxer my walk-in music would be 'Do You Really Wanna Hurt Me?"

Originally Posted by vikingrat

America because we have more dead people on Mt Everest and we have Lake Tahoe which the native Asians believed to be the mouth way to hell. Also Blackmore, Malmsteen, Page, Hackett, Howe, Fripp etc were all born in America. Futhurmore the best bands to come out of the British Invasion wre Americans. We also have fat homeless people.

Comment

no arguments.

it still doesn't negate the fact that the worst tones I've heard are from boogies.

I think that it's more a factor of the prevalance of Boogie stuff and operator error than a flawed amp, though.
      Member of the HCAF Homebrews Club

Gear:
      Currently in transition.

http://www.myspace.com/michaelkentmusic New songs up!!

Good Transactions With: Moodbender, Chrisjd, GRIFF10672 (x2), Killing Nevada, Cibyl, Steveanders86, drs448, Valtiel, StratoSlacker

Originally Posted by newholland

good sense NEVER makes good sense when yer movin a mountain of stupid...

Originally Posted by mseriously30

I think some people have the "suck" knob on full bore.

Mah ampbuild thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...8#post39421848

Comment

For me, the worst amp tone I've ever heard is the rhythm guitar track on the studio version of Ozzy Osbourne's 'Crazy Train'. It sounds like Randy Rhoads is playing through some cheapass little practice combo turned up full blast with a distortion box hooked up to it. It's gotta be the fizziest and most lifeless tone I've ever heard

I've checked a few web pages outlining his gear setup, and they all claim that he played through Marshall stacks. But years ago someone told me he played through a little Roland Cube amp cranked full blast and with a distortion box on some of the early recordings. It's a crappy sound nonetheless.

The best sound Rhoads ever got is on a live EP release of 'Mr Crowley', 'You Said It All' and 'Suicide Solution'. He is definitely playing through the Marshalls on that recording. It's a real fat tone with lots of middle, just like a Marshall stack sounds when it's cranked real loud.

Assuming you mean worst professionally recorded sound on a major studio album, I would have to say the dull, honky sound on Deep Purple's Machine Head. There's a reason you're supposed to use a pick to play an electric guitar.
        silentheart.com

Comment

There's a reason you're supposed to use a pick to play an electric guitar.

Really? Mark Knopfler doesn't agree with you.

oke:
          Member of the HCAF Homebrews Club

Gear:
          Currently in transition.

http://www.myspace.com/michaelkentmusic New songs up!!

Good Transactions With: Moodbender, Chrisjd, GRIFF10672 (x2), Killing Nevada, Cibyl, Steveanders86, drs448, Valtiel, StratoSlacker

Originally Posted by newholland

good sense NEVER makes good sense when yer movin a mountain of stupid...

Originally Posted by mseriously30

I think some people have the "suck" knob on full bore.

Mah ampbuild thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...8#post39421848

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_tfOf7Wqaw

Gross!

matt

lolz, Mark Tremonti FTW
            Gear:
            Ibanez guitars
            Ibanez & Fender amps w/Fender cabs
            various effects
            Planet Waves cables

Good transactions with:
            Juggernaut, LordOVchaos, Critter, creativlogic

Comment

Slipknot live, they sounded like a metalzone scooped and dimed pluged into a million watt PA system.
              My mark III settings:

http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/?bg=...wer+and+EL-34s

Comment

Bush sounds like a beer commercial to me, and not just because of the name:

"I don't wanna come back down from this cloud. Tap the rockies! Coors Light!"
                ------------------------------------------
                The quartersawn has been pulled for you....

Comment

i played with a guy once who had perpetual "glycerine" tone. the tone works well for bush on that one song, but ****************, he was trying to use it to play 'the thing that should not be.' it was absolutely ****************ing terrible.
                  "My cat's breath smells like cat food."

Marshall DSL 50
                  LP Standard - Joe Walsh model
                  Boss Chorus Ensemble
                  Boss Phase Shifter
                  Boss EQ7
                  Crybaby Wah

Comment

/thread on account of all the Dimebag hate

STFU YOU nOObs

(r.i.p. Dime)
                    Gear:
                    Ibanez guitars
                    Ibanez & Fender amps w/Fender cabs
                    various effects
                    Planet Waves cables

Good transactions with:
                    Juggernaut, LordOVchaos, Critter, creativlogic

Comment

hear that, guys?

Nope.
                      Check out my band "Tock" Debut album coming out soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoQgpMooyY

Comment

Yeah, the Dime hate is just for the haters.

Dime was the premier metal guitarist until his death.

His metal tone was crushing.

If you want bad tone check out Scofields 80's chorus trash. PUKE!

Comment

You can't be serious......
                          I would just **************** her and then blow my manlove juice onto her LP. Invariably, she's going to say "I can't believe you just came all over my beautiful Les Paul Supreme!!!"

-facefirst

Comment

One of my favorite albums, but it's the most abrasive, ****************ty guitar tone I've ever heard. It wouldn't be the same without it.
                            This Time It's War - Richmond, VA Prog/Melodic Death Metal

Comment

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by VonBonfire

You can't be serious......

True, he still is the premier metal guitarist.

The throne is empty, and no one has stepped up to take his place.
                              Spam: shipped to lower 48 only, MO & Cashiers check or Paypal gift no spam today shipped conusGood trans : Dominick, Bass_n_Drums, Gitfiddler, cobrahead1030, STEEL KAGE, 17 Tubes, cursed1, Moshaholic, tele0507, Dangles ct, Assumer, Yabba, Jopop, Troublehead, detunedman, tsunamijesus, Norton666, SkyHighRocks, archers6, Billcheckrules, Juggernaut.

Comment

it literally sounds like a Big Muff straight into the board.

That's because in some cases that's exactly what it was. Not kidding.

And Neil Young is an awesome guitarist with Godly tone. Bow down, n00bz0rz.
                                "I have the two qualities you require to see the absolute truth... I am brilliant and unloved". - Miss Evangelista, Dr. Who ep. "Silence In The Library"

Comment

Working...
                                X