X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst amp tone you've ever heard

For me, the worst amp tone I've ever heard is the rhythm guitar track on the studio version of Ozzy Osbourne's 'Crazy Train'. It sounds like Randy Rhoads is playing through some cheapass little practice combo turned up full blast with a distortion box hooked up to it. It's gotta be the fizziest and most lifeless tone I've ever heard

I've checked a few web pages outlining his gear setup, and they all claim that he played through Marshall stacks. But years ago someone told me he played through a little Roland Cube amp cranked full blast and with a distortion box on some of the early recordings. It's a crappy sound nonetheless.

The best sound Rhoads ever got is on a live EP release of 'Mr Crowley', 'You Said It All' and 'Suicide Solution'. He is definitely playing through the Marshalls on that recording. It's a real fat tone with lots of middle, just like a Marshall stack sounds when it's cranked real loud.
    My web site / music

i love randy's playing, but i have to agree with you.

i cannot speculate as far as amps go because as far as im concerned he only ever played marshalls (like you found on many many sites).

id suggest it might have something to do with the mxr dist+ he had in the circuit. i tried one out before and seemed to give me that buzzsaw sound on the record.

if your looking for bad rhythm tone in general, its all over the appetite for destruction album too.

Comment

I would tend to agree about Randy's tone, but Appetite For Destruction????? wow I'm not a big fan of Guns, but thats some great crunchy tone IMHO.
      Fiddles: Gibson Les Paul Classic
      Warmoth homebuilt Strat
      Xaviere XV-550

Amps: Splawn Quick Rod and matching 2x12
      Laney VC-30112

good dealings with/trade references: MRAAJR, SMASHINGTIME, STRATOSLACKER, MASTERBURRFOOT, BLUPLIRST

Comment

id suggest it might have something to do with the mxr dist+ he had in the circuit. i tried one out before and seemed to give me that buzzsaw sound on the record.

+1. I had one for a minute and buzzsaw treble is the only description I can give it.

I say Obituary has the worst tone i have heard as far as gain goes.

Neil Young has a horrible classic rock tone, but it fits so well. Makes me cringe though
        My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
        Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
        Marshall DSL50

Comment

if your looking for bad rhythm tone in general, its all over the appetite for destruction album too.

OH MY GOD.

But I guess you're entitled to your own opinion.
          Good traders: germanicus2112, lpengineer, poopie, blackmonday, Jarrett, Used666, FedexPope, rvschulz, JonathanD, LithiumZero, StratoSlacker, solly, mikeman, ajboy238, Dolflundgren, Dixie 10-8, Mesa4x12er2, So Much to Say, CoolDrum3, JoshuaTSP, rabott13, kidgloves, chrisjnyc, aporcelainsky, fliprose, les_paul, slashfacepalm, SouthTownFlyer

Comment

Originally Posted by thenakedarab

The Bible paper helps to bring the extra brootz, 5000 yrs of killing, incest, and societal manipulation can't be beat. You can almost hear the dying screams of thousands of Philistines with every pinch harmonic.

Gibson 1980 Les Paul Custom Silverburst
            Fender Custom Shop '60 Strat
            Fender USA Standard Tele
            Fender '66 Dual Showman
            Fender '67 Bandmaster
            1983 Marshall JCM800 2203

Comment

Most everything from the early 80's up until Jerry Cantrell, with few notable exceptions.
              Don't panic.

Good Deals With:

Kingsransom

Comment

Most everything from the early 80's up until Jerry Cantrell, with few notable exceptions.

Well isn't that the safest, most calculated answer ever.
                Good traders: germanicus2112, lpengineer, poopie, blackmonday, Jarrett, Used666, FedexPope, rvschulz, JonathanD, LithiumZero, StratoSlacker, solly, mikeman, ajboy238, Dolflundgren, Dixie 10-8, Mesa4x12er2, So Much to Say, CoolDrum3, JoshuaTSP, rabott13, kidgloves, chrisjnyc, aporcelainsky, fliprose, les_paul, slashfacepalm, SouthTownFlyer

Comment

I would tend to agree about Randy's tone, but Appetite For Destruction????? wow I'm not a big fan of Guns, but thats some great crunchy tone IMHO.

+1

Randy's tone was horrid at times, but Appetite has some absolutely fantastic tones in it.

the worst tone in the last few years was Dimebag's. holy crap did it suck. cowboys from hell is absolutely terrible.
                  - Adam

Comment

Well isn't that the safest, most calculated answer ever.

Thank you.
                    Don't panic.

Good Deals With:

Kingsransom

Comment

Boston - all songs
                      youtube
                      music

Comment

Marshall amps & cabs, Hamer guitar
                        Ludwig drums & Zildjian cymbals

Comment

You guys are nuts.

Worst tone ever.........I nominate that "round and round" trash. That whole song sounds horrible.

Comment

im a little shocked over the Appetite comment that is one of my all time fav records i think it sounds fantastic.

One of the worst tones is easily Dime but man was he amazing
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

"Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind." - John F Kennedy

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Comment

The Dallas guitar show had a jam after the actual show, and they had a Peavey backline going (sponsored by Peavey, go figure). Worst tone I have ever heard live.

I'm sure it had more to do with the EQ'ing going on, but Jesus was it bad. The XXX in particular made me want to leave.

On a funny side note, when Paul Reed Smith came up to jam the amp they plugged him into didn't work

Comment

Working...
                              X