"MESA/BOOGIE" Logo vs. "MESA ENGINEERING" logo

petejt

• Members

So, whether you're a user of Mesa/Boogie amps or not, which logo do you like the best?

Here is what I think of them.

"MESA/BOOGIE" logo

28mjxnn.jpg

I think it looks killer! :rawk: Full on metal without being cliche, and versatile to cover the vast tonal spectrum that the amps provide.

I also really like the "Boogie" logo, very svelt and wicked :cool:

"MESA ENGINEERING" logo

2s1m1j6.jpg

This is SUPA MEGA FUGLY with a capital F. Looks like utter rotten {censored}. Disgusting. I {censored}en hate it! :mad: I know that it was used on Boogie amps in the 1970s, but it became the primary logo when used on the Rectifier amps. I think it spoils the appearance of all their products it is screwed onto. I despise it so much, I specially ordered the "MESA/BOOGIE" badge to screwed that onto my Stiletto 4x12 cabinet, and use the other piece of rat{censored} as a paperweight. I'd prefer to snap it in half though.

• Members

Interestingly enough, if I recall Ritchie Fliegler's fine book "Amps: The Other Half of Rock and Roll" correctly, "Mesa Engineering" referred in the beginning to Randall's car repair service. "Boogie" was the amp line. So it was "Boogie Amps" made by "MESA Engineering", which I think fixed Volvos and Volkswagens for rich Marinite hippies.

So I think most of the cabs and accessories are actually made under the umbrella MESA Engineering badge, while the amps and preamps/pedals are part of a joint company, MESA/Boogie.

Legend has it that when Randall, working at Prune Music in Berkeley at the time, had Santana play one of his hopped up Princetons, Carlos mentioned "this amp really boogies!", hence the name.

• Members

I don't like any of the logos they've had. It's like...Mesa and/or Boogie. Who makes the damn gear, Mesa or Boogie? decide already for {censored}'s sake. "Mesa Engineering" sounds a little pretentious too. I mean, yes, there is definitely some skilled engineering involved in the design and realisation of amplifiers and cabinets of the grade they've created, but they're one of very few instrument amp makers to push themselves as an "engineering firm". I don't really like that. And, I also don't think they are such good looking logos regardless of the attitude they suggest. Hiwatt ftw.

• Members

Mesa/Boogie logo is just text in a generic font...:bor:

call me when the 70s are over

at least the mesa engineering logo has a little bit of style to it

but you could do SO MUCH MORE with a slick name like MESA

could have a wicked logo...but i guess they got lazy?...forever?

Archived