X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL34s in a Rectifier

Is it hard to put them in? Would I have to rebias? how will it change the tone.

THANKS!!! STINK E!!!!!

There's a bias switch at the back panel.
    For the sound, it's kind of a Marshally one
    PRS Custom 22 20th anniversary top 10
    Music Man Axis Super Sport
    Taylor 414ce spring limited 2009
    MESA Single Rectifier Serie II Solo Head w/MESA cab
    Roland Jazz Chorus JC120
    Roland Microcube white
    MXR Carbon Copy
    MXR Smart Gate
    Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
    Maxon Flanger
    Korg Pitchblack Tuner
    Yeah rock'on!

Comment

Although I've never switched from 6l6 to El34's in the same amp, I'd imagine it would give you more mids and less highs and lows. It would most likely give you a little more of british vs. american tone. I think EL34's are great tubes. My other guitarist has a Mesa Rectoverb and he prefers EL34's to 6l6's in his...only problem is he got it modded by Voodoo and their mods are based on using 6l6 tubes.

Comment

You dont have to bias the Rec. It is fixed bias. Just flick the switch to EL34 when you have put them in. It is best to use the tube rectifier with those tubes too.

Comment

its gonna tighten it up a bit and give you more cutting mids, but i would compare the sound to a marshall or british sound

it still sounds like a rectifier
          Guitars: USA Peavey Wolfgang, MIJ Ibanez SCA220, Squier Telecaster Custom, Taylor 110e
          Amps: 1989 Peavey VTM60, 1969 Sunn Sceptre
          Cabs Avatar Vintage 4x12 w/ WGS Green Berets, Basson Vertical Slant 2x12 w/ Eminence Legends
          Pedals Korg Pitchblack, BBE Green Screamer, BAT Pharaoh Fuzz, MXR Carbon Copy, Line 6 Echo Park

Comment

its gonna tighten it up a bit and give you more cutting mids, but i wouldn't compare the sound to a marshall or british sound

it still sounds like a rectifier

This is my experience as well. Still sounds like a Boogie, doesn't sound like a Stiletto, sounds like a Recto with tighter lows and different mids.
            Member of the HCAF Homebrews Club

Gear:
            Currently in transition.

http://www.myspace.com/michaelkentmusic New songs up!!

Good Transactions With: Moodbender, Chrisjd, GRIFF10672 (x2), Killing Nevada, Cibyl, Steveanders86, drs448, Valtiel, StratoSlacker

Originally Posted by newholland

good sense NEVER makes good sense when yer movin a mountain of stupid...

Originally Posted by mseriously30

I think some people have the "suck" knob on full bore.

Mah ampbuild thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...8#post39421848

Comment

i use el34s in a tremoverb. my opinion, it gives the gain a better character. tighter lows and better mids. the clean lacks a little though
              Back up in yo ass with that resurrection

Comment

With 6L6s it will sound like- May-Sah

With EL34s it will sound like- Mezza

5150III - Stock JJs
                Marshall DSL50- Rubys
                H&K Switchblade 50W Combo- Stock TADs
                Mills Afterburner 4x12A
                White Box 2x12- V30 / H30
                LP Custom | Epi LP Standard | '87 Kramer Baretta | Schecter Damien Elite | Merz Custom Acoustic | Taylor 355ce 12 String

Originally Posted by komodo117

Locate your balls, and drain them onto both of their faces.

Comment

I just put a set of Svetlana El34's in my 3ch DR. Doug is the man!!!

I haven't had the chance to "open" it up yet, but I concur with the other statements...I can hear more mids and less low end. I am speaking of course on Ch 2 in vintage mode. I am taking my time tweaking the eq and FWIW this EQ is so responsive, the tone actually changes when you turn the knobs

I have been messing around with 0 treble, Cranked Mids, 0 Presence and bass 90 from an Idea that I heard from the boogie board. I have been trying to keep my gain below 120 and I am not using the FX loop

I also use a addrock geranium for clean boost. Sweetsound Mojovibe and a TS9 RI for lead boosts

By the way I mostly play strats and I am using a Fulltone Clyde wah for tone filtering options so I can control the treble from my strat.

Lastly I am using my heartbreaker's 2X12 speakers which consist of a Vintage 30 and Scumback M75. I get the mid honk from the scummy and a nice warm push from the V30. I may end up using the heartbreaker preamp for clean tones only...I am not able to get a great dirty sound with it yet. Once I hooked my DR head to my 2x12's, I was in heaven. I played a gig with it last weekend and for the first time in a long time I was happy with my tone. :O

My tone is starting to develop
                  Mesa/Boogie Mob m/m/

"...When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer"
                  "...Just because I wrote it doesn't mean I can play it" - Joe Walsh

Mesa Dual Rectifier 3CH Solo Head
                  Mesa Heartbreaker 2x12 combo
                  Axe-FX Ultra
                  Vox Tonelab LE
                  Peavey Classic 50 w/4x10
                  Tech 21 Power Engine

Gibson Les Paul Special
                  Squier Telecaster Classic Vibe
                  Ibanez RG-T42 w/ EMG 81b & 60n
                  Hamer SATQ
                  Fender Strats - 1999 American Standard and 2007 Highway 1
                  Ibanez RG7420

Comment

With 6L6s it will sound like- May-Sah

With EL34s it will sound like- Mezza

LOL soo true

Comment

right now i've got 2 E34Ls and 2 6v6s, and its the best this amp has ever sounded

the clean with a little dirt and intermitten compressor is awesome!

Comment

I have 6CA7's in mine right now and they sound pretty good. The mids are more pronounced and the low is tighter. I think I might go back to 6L6's just because I like them better.

Comment

I put EL34s in my Dual. I liked it, but I never got the thing up to a volume level where I could tell the difference.
                          "Republicans run on a platform that government is bad, then proceed to prove it when they take power."
                          Somebody said this, I don't know who.

Comment

the clean lacks a little though

This is why I still use 6L6s in mine.
                            Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime

"I'm that Dual Recto playing guitarist your jazz teacher warned you about."

Check out my band's demo:
                            http://www.myspace.com/skiesofstrife

Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS Standard 24, Gibson Les Paul Studio
                            Amp: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, Engl Powerball, w/ Mesa Rectifier 4x12
                            Pedals: Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer, Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, MXR Microamp, ISP Decimator

Comment

I think the Rectifier sounds best with a mix of the two tubes. That was the best part about the Road King.

If I had to choose though, 6L6's are much better suited to the character of the amp, plus they help the cleans out.
                              Smooth deals with: duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookieFender Custom Shop '52 TelecasterGibson 2013 SG StandardFender Deville III 4x10Oh Henry! chocolate barsPedals n' stuffhttp://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com

Comment

Working...
                              X