50 Marshalls - JMP MKII 2204 vs JCM 800 2204

Pig Vomit

• Members

Wow it's tough trying to sort out what Marshall head to buy...

I've located a '79 JMP 50watt head, and an 80's JCM 800 50 watter head..

Is there a BEST choice, even if it's not one of the above? I'll wait for the right amp.

I play Les pauls mainly - hard rock, heavier blues, a lot of Allman Brothers lately, AC/DC but nothing heavier than that..

help!

• Members

Wow it's tough trying to sort out what Marshall head to buy...

I've located a '79 JMP 50watt head, and an 80's JCM 800 50 watter head..

Is there a BEST choice, even if it's not one of the above? I'll wait for the right amp.

I play Les pauls mainly - hard rock, heavier blues, a lot of Allman Brothers lately, AC/DC but nothing heavier than that..

help!

Well they are pretty much the same, but the housing. JMP's are the more vintage and rare ones, JCM800's are more common and cheaper overall. You can have those tones out of both.

• Members

Thanks for the replies...

I guess the word 'organic' might be what I'm looking for, soundwise..

I'm looking for thick blues Les Paul grit-tone, sort of like the first 2 ZZ Top albums, or Warren Haynes' tone, Joe Bonamassa too maybe. Sort of a thick, thumpy, darker tone like Outside Woman Blues (Cream).. But I do like Angus's more gainy Back in Black tone too, when needed..

thanks a bunch..

• Members

I should add that to get the best tones from the JMP you're going to need to be able to turn up the amp a bit, and there is no fx loop. I don't think you're going to have much problem getting the range of sounds you're listing. I also highly recommend using a tubescreamer to boost it though others surely will prefer the Boss SD-1 or other boosts. :cool:

Archived