OT: Mass Effect (X360 game)

jenksdrummer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ive been eyeing it. is it worth the bux?

If you like RPG's, it's kick ass.

There's some FPS action in there too.

The only think I don't like is you can't blip through the dialog. I've restarted several times going through just the first "section" deciding I want to do somethign different, and it gets old in that sense, but now that I'm in new territory, it's pretty kick ass.

I'd say it's better than oblivion. Not sure on Oblivion's expansion pack, but in terms of the original game, it's better...

• Members

I heard that game was just completely filled with bugs to the point where it was nearly unplayable. i know Biowares forums were going {censored}ing nuts there for a while about it.

Whats the latest?

I think it's pretty good, playability-wise. Some frame rate issues, but nothing during combat that I've seen.

Plus you can turn off the motion blur and some other effect and eliminate it quite a bit. I've not bothered, but that's what I've read.

• Members

I heard that game was just completely filled with bugs to the point where it was nearly unplayable. i know Biowares forums were going {censored}ing nuts there for a while about it.

Whats the latest?

oOooOoOooo a curveball!

I'd like to know this too. I dont want to buy a game i can't really play:cry:

it sounds like it would be amazing otherwise tho

• Members

I have it. Only played a little bit of it so far though. definitely awesome visuals. was a little slow and tedious at first, but I wasn't really in the mood for sitting down and getting into it at the time. I'm sure it'll be awesome when I've got some more time to play it

The thing that bugs me about the slow/tedious part, is the time for transports, elevators, and dialog.

That said, the dialog is well done. if you move the stick (and just not hit anything) you can start making your next choice before the other person is done speaking. Makes the dialog more movie-like.

This game is more like an interactive movie, to be honest. Visuals are closer to the Final Fantasy Movie than most games.

The past two nights I've been going to bed at 2:30AM and 1:30AM, only to get up at 6:30AM...normally I go to bed around 10:30PM - but there's enough of a hook of "what that?" that I keep playing :)

• Members
The thing that bugs me about the slow/tedious part, is the time for transports, elevators, and dialog.

That said, the dialog is well done. if you move the stick (and just not hit anything) you can start making your next choice before the other person is done speaking. Makes the dialog more movie-like.

This game is more like an interactive movie, to be honest. Visuals are closer to the Final Fantasy Movie than most games.

The past two nights I've been going to bed at 2:30AM and 1:30AM, only to get up at 6:30AM...normally I go to bed around 10:30PM - but there's enough of a hook of "what that?" that I keep playing
:)

sounds sweet, maybe i'll pick it up afterall

• Members

i love RPGs, and i love dialog

i was pissed at how much plot they TOOK OUT of Gears to make it a straight action title

Given that, you'll love it.

That being said, the action parts are pretty crazy. I beat GRAW-II on medium difficulty, and have this on normal, and my ass was getting handed to me by some pirates on one planet - gith too on another planet.

Granted, it was like 10 of them to 3 of me, and our weapons weren't as good...

I beat that area only to find out that a skill wasnt high enough to get some of the goods... =/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Took your advice, guys.

:love::love: man this game is involving@!!! I've been waiting for a game this intricate for a whiiile. Haven't got to do so much random stuff since Shenmue on DC. So far the story is gripping and thick, the characters have a decent and fairly individual personality. Combat isn't as bad as people say. Great game so far...hopefully it stays this way :mad::poke::love:

• Members

REALLY good game..I just beat it a couple days ago and started another game with the same character..wanna go totally renegade this time, hook up with someone else and try for the different ending as well as trying to max out at level 60

it's not without its issues...

the inventory system sucks...the mako combat can be a pain in the ass..and the side mission base layouts are just about all the same...

the combat's a little clunky at first till you get use to it..then it kinda plays like gears of war..third person, over the shoulder..can use cover...even though it's based on that sorta gameplay, it doesn't feel like GOW..so don't expect that..

there's a few frame rate issues, but they don't ruin the game...

the main quest missions are awesome as are the worlds they're on....

the whole back story kicks ass as well..reading the codex entries wasn't a chore at all...very engrossing, reading about the alien cultures and tech, their wars and histories as well as reading about other star systems and ships, weapons, galactic government...

normally once I beat a game I don't play it again unless I REALLY REALLY dig it...but there's alot of reasons to play this through at least twice...

the world that bioware created for this one (or should I say, Universe) is really consuming..great stuff

• Members

Given that, you'll love it.

That being said, the action parts are pretty crazy. I beat GRAW-II on medium difficulty, and have this on normal, and my ass was getting handed to me by some pirates on one planet - gith too on another planet.

Granted, it was like 10 of them to 3 of me, and our weapons weren't as good...

I beat that area only to find out that a skill wasnt high enough to get some of the goods... =/

it's pretty tough when you're at a low level..the combat that is...after awhile it gets easier...

that's why I thought it was clunky at first..cause I was getting my ass handed to me constantly as well...once I progressed it was easier to manage everyone and fight through everything...

playing through veteran now..but started the new game with my level 46 vanguard =D

• Members
i love RPGs, and i love dialog

i was pissed at how much plot they TOOK OUT of Gears to make it a straight action title

yeah, when it was announced it was supposed to have a bit more of a blockbuster movie story..but they did get rid of that..and the brumak fight too =(

oh well, GOW is still a great game that i play through from time to time just because it rocks =D

• Members

I've really enjoyed it so far.

Just don't buy it expecting an action game, I think you'll find it way too slow.

ya think? I actually found it to be more action oriented that I thought it would be for an RPG...

I mean there's alotta talking and codex reading (if you so choose) but the fighting sequences are very long...

in any event, despite categorization, it's got alot of things in it that should appeal to fans of RPGs and action games, IMO..thats what makes it purdy cool

• Members

ya think? I actually found it to be more action oriented that I thought it would be for an RPG...

I mean there's alotta talking and codex reading (if you so choose) but the fighting sequences are very long...

in any event, despite categorization, it's got alot of things in it that should appeal to fans of RPGs and action games, IMO..thats what makes it purdy cool

I totally agree.

And i don't really miss the brumak on the 360 version, looking back. Neat boss fight, but not as cool as i thought it would be after first hearing about it when the PC version was hittin the news....i do, though, wish the extended PC story was in the 360 version on my first playthrough :cry:

• Members

Whats the latest?

I watched my friend play it for a while, and it was very regularly lagging up like it had a horrendous issues with maintaining a half decent framerate. It wasn't even that the game occasionally got too busy and couldn't handle it. It'd just do it randomly.

I can't believe people tolerate this stuff. I've been seeing it more and more in games, and now it's even in the really big ones. It makes absolutely NO sense for a console game to do anything remotely like this. You're paying for laziness and cheapness. It's very obvious that they are just going, "Ah, screw it, most people won't even say anything even if they notice!"

• Members
I totally agree.

And i don't really miss the brumak on the 360 version, looking back. Neat boss fight, but not as cool as i thought it would be after first hearing about it when the PC version was hittin the news....i do, though, wish the extended PC story was in the 360 version on my first playthrough
:cry:

ME just isn't a tradition RPG OR a traditional action game..kinda has its own thing going on =)

it woulda been nice for them to give us those extra levels as DLC via live..but nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! assholes....lol....

Archived