Peavey Classic 30 vs. Fender Deluxe Reverb RI (DRRI)

escapethefate

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a good amp for mainly bedroom practice and maybe the ocassional low wattage gig.

I have narrowed it down between a Peavey Classic 30 and a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (used).

I'm interested in having the best tone with a ton of sustain and good versatility as I like to play a wide variety of music.

Which would be best for me?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, a DRRI isn't exactly versatile, unless you're talking variety of clean sounds...

I'd recommend the C30 for versatility, the DRRI for tonal quality.

Though I'm in love with my DRRI, I'd say to go with the Peavey.

My DRRI will give you some good breakup but will be very loud at that point.

The Peavey has a very usable master volume.

• Members

looks like most prefer the c30 in terms of versatility...any suggestions for alternatives to the c30 or is it the best in it's class?

Also, if i were to get the DDRRI but use a few pedals to get distortion...would the c30 still be a better bet?

thanks for the help guys...I have a wad of xmas cash burning a hole in my pocket!

• Members

a post volume *is* essentially a master volume. You're able to get distortion at reasonable volume levels.

a master volume is a master volume for both channels, pv post controls only the gain channel, yes as you turn the post up the gain channel gets louder, but the tone also changes along with it.

• Members

I'd sit on a DRRI with dead tubes playing my guitar silently before I'd be caught with a peavey.
:D

tha'ts just silly. I've owned fenders, voxen, marshalls, and I put the tone of the classic series peaveys right up there with them. If you're just ashamed of the nameplate, that's even more silly. :wave:

• Members

a master volume is a master volume for both channels, pv post controls only the gain channel, yes as you turn the post up the gain channel gets louder, but the tone also changes along with it.

the tone changes with the raising of a truly labeled "master volume" as well. In functionality, I notice no difference.

• Members

looks like most prefer the c30 in terms of versatility...any suggestions for alternatives to the c30 or is it the best in it's class?

Also, if i were to get the DDRRI but use a few pedals to get distortion...would the c30 still be a better bet?

thanks for the help guys...I have a wad of xmas cash burning a hole in my pocket!

I also like the Traynor amps, but I haven't played any of their recent models, just the YCV40.

• Members

the tone changes with the raising of a truly labeled "master volume" as well. In functionality, I notice no difference.

master volume is a volume control on both channels-the c-30 doesn't have a master volume, and the tonal change is dramatic on the c-30 when you crank the post.

• Members

The DRRI with good distortion pedals would be a better bet. The distortion on the C30 would still be better, but you'll have more tones with the DRRI and one of the best clean tones on the planet. :thu:

• Members

I've owned both and I still own the DRRI.

The C30 has better distortion but you can equal this with a good pedal (I use an OCD), but the clean side of the DRRi blows away the C30 IMO.

For a real versatile amp with a dynamite clean channel try the Mesa F-50, this is my other amp so I am admittedly biased.

• Members

pre and post=pre and post

normal channel volume=normal channel volume

That's disputing semantics in a pretty misleading manner.

The entire point of a master volume is to attenuate the signal after the preamp is overdriven. It's not to control the level of each channel unless it's a GLOBAL master volume. I've never once heard someone call that design a "post" volume in my entire life. The knob itself may be labeled "post" by Peavey, but the whole point is that the channel has a master volume circuit.

Everyone universally refers to single channel Marshalls as either having a master volume, or as non-master volume. In the case of it having a master volume, there aren't multiple channels to begin with, but it's the exact same thing as the distortion channel on a Classic 30. In the case of it being NMV, it may still only have one main volume control, yet it's stated to NOT have a master volume, ONLY for the fact that there isn't a way to attenuate the signal after the preamp so that it can be overdriven by itself.

So by that logic:

distortion channel = master volume circuit

normal channel = NMV circuit

Regardless, I don't see why that'd even matter if an amp doesn't have a global volume control. That's almost completely pointless, hence most amps not having it.

• Members

That's disputing semantics in a pretty misleading manner.

The entire point of a master volume is to attenuate the signal after the preamp is overdriven. It's not to control the level of each channel unless it's a GLOBAL master volume. I've never once heard someone call that design a "post" volume in my entire life.

Everyone universally refers to single channel Marshalls as having a master volume or NMV. That may control the overall level of the amp, since there aren't multiple channels to begin with, but it's the exact same thing as the distortion channel on a Classic 30.

Regardless, I don't see why that'd even matter if an amp doesn't a global volume control. That's almost completely pointless, hence most amps not having it.

+1

• Members

If the c30 had a master volume, you could crank the clean channel to 6 and get that sweet breakup and use a master to lower the overall volume so your not rattling the windows.

You can't do that with any amplifier. Once you turn the global master volume down that sweet breakup goes away. If the power tubes aren't made to work, then there's no way that sweet breakup is going to happen unless you turn up the preamp volume. The only way to get what you're talking about is with an attenuator.

Archived