Signs of capacitor failure?

thedavidproject

• Members

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here knew what the signs of capacitor failure were in an amp. I have a crate vintage club 30 and the clean channel developed a terrible hum and makes a wierd crackle/fuzz noise when I play certain notes. The dirt channel has none of these problems. The amp was retubed about 3 months ago if that helps.

Thanks!

• Members

I forgot to mention, I did open up the amp and look at them. I didn't notice any swelling or leaking. I guess my question would be if any of the symptoms I described above would be due to the cause of bad caps. If not is there anything else that might cause that problem?

• Members

I forgot to mention, I did open up the amp and look at them. I didn't notice any swelling or leaking. I guess my question would be if any of the symptoms I described above would be due to the cause of bad caps. If not is there anything else that might cause that problem?

Try switching your preamp tubes around, and see if you can't get the problem to leave that specific channel and either effect another channel, or all channels.

• Members

I did just replace them though and even if I got a bad tube wouldn't that affect the dirty channel as well?

Did the problem develop after you installed the new tubes? New production tubes are not as robust as NOS, and you could have a screwed tube. Follow insurrections advice, and if you have another tube handy try it in each slot one at a time.

Archived