EVM-12L vs. Vintage 30

Hoodoo

• Members

I'm looking for some suggestions on whether to go with the EVM-12L's or V30's. They are going in a Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12(open back). I do crank the 40watts but most of my OD tone comes from a Keeley ts9 (i'll be getting a power soak soon and then will be cranking it for amp OD). I play a Thinline Tele and a LP. I'm going after a sweet bluesy tone ala, Joe Bonamassa..meets SRV meets Trower. Any suggestions would be sweet. Thanks.....

• Members

i guess it depends on what you want for tone.. i HATE EVMs for gain tones-- clean... AMAZING.. with a tele or a strat and just a little dirt? awesome..but dirty-- harsh doesn't even begin to describe it. they bark like mad.. i used one in a mesa thiele a while.. and eventually, i couldn't stand the damn thing as it just never sounded organic.. i swapped it out for a celestion.. much better.. can't beat the build quality.. but i don't often park a car on a speaker basket...

the v30 could do your right.. the scoopy mids might do you right in that application. but my guess is that they'll be too bright-- but ultimately comes down to what you WANT.. and you didn't say.. so hard to nail it down.

what kinda git and front end you running into it, and what're you doing stylistically?

• Members

Cool, yeah..i've heard the same thing. The EVM and V30 are both great speakers...it's kinda like going with a viper or vette. I was just hoping for as much input as possible. See my first post in regards to setup. Thanks

• Members

agh.. you DID say.. sorry! I dunno much 'bout robin trower- but if i remember, didn't he play marshalls? i dunno the other guys.. not big on most 'lectric blues outside billy gibbons.

you might be on to something with the evm so long as you don't overdrive it too much-- but the tipping point between dirt and buzz on that thing can be ugly! if you were playing country with a tele... i'd say dive in... but if you play any chords with gain or overdrive... i'd say go the route of the celestions, and maybe not even a v30-- if you want the treble-- think about a gold, or check out some of the eminence celestion copies (red fangs)..

the mids on the evm and the v30 really don't sound all that similar to me.. totally different critters!

• Members

Hmmm, i love alot of creamy mids. I'd say I want to stay away from that ice pick fender sound that most stock fender speakers have. I like a nice crisp but warm sounding treble. I have an eminence in there now and the bottom is mushy and the high's just hurt when i have it cranked. I don't like grit, or that spanking treble sound, i like smooth treble. I was under the impression that the EVM won't really change your amp sound much, they don't distort or add/take away from your sound. It is what it is, you hear the amp and not the speaker. Where as the V30 adds a little color on the mid range and don't have quite the same bottom end capablities that the EVM's have.

• Members

I'd like to offer the dissenting opinion here. I can't think of a speaker that can sound thicker and fatter at high gain than an EV12L.

Just one in the bottom ported section of my 2x12 can take my Tremoverb at full bore and sound ten times fatter and punchier than a V30 could ever dream of. With two of them, fuggedaboutit, the Celestions don't stand a chance. If you're playing through an EV and it sounds harsh, well it isn't the speakers fault I'll put it that way.

The one thing the EV doesn't have is the blurry grain in the upper mid range that Celestions have that give them that signature chime and grind.

• Members

I'll never use vintage 30s again. They lack clarity and they aren't tight enough for my tastes. In a 4x12 they're pretty cool.

12Ls can be "harsh" but the easy solution is just to EQ the amp differently, just like you'll have to do with any speaker.

• Members

i guess it depends on what you want for tone.. i HATE EVMs for gain tones-- clean... AMAZING.. with a tele or a strat and just a little dirt? awesome..but dirty-- harsh doesn't even begin to describe it. they bark like mad.. i used one in a mesa thiele a while.. and eventually, i couldn't stand the damn thing as it just never sounded organic.. i swapped it out for a celestion.. much better.. can't beat the build quality.. but i don't often park a car on a speaker basket...

the v30 could do your right.. the scoopy mids might do you right in that application. but my guess is that they'll be too bright-- but ultimately comes down to what you WANT.. and you didn't say.. so hard to nail it down.

what kinda git and front end you running into it, and what're you doing stylistically?

What amp were you using? I've used my EV loaded Thiele with a lot of different amps and completely love it with nothing even remotely harsh about it. On the other hand I just really don't like vintage 30's with most amps, spikey highs, mushy bass and unnatural mids. Diff'rnt strokes

• Members

i guess it depends on what you want for tone.. i HATE EVMs for gain tones-- clean... AMAZING.. with a tele or a strat and just a little dirt? awesome..but dirty-- harsh doesn't even begin to describe it. they bark like mad.. i used one in a mesa thiele a while.. and eventually, i couldn't stand the damn thing as it just never sounded organic.

i whole heartedly disagree.

• Members

i think the EVM is a great speak for some applications-- but for ME (i wouldn't speak for others)-- the gain tone is just too hard-- i used it with a mesa .50 cal in that thiele cab and chandler gain pedals like the blue tube and tube driver, and my take on tone is that i don't want a metal tone (super defined buzz for gain, lots of upper mids and highs and prodigious lows) and i don't want greenback-y overdrive 'woman tone'. i like it in the middle of the two- spongy bottom, thick in the mids, and.. well, warm on top, but defined without 'ERRRRRRTTTT' square wave distortion-- and the evm was wrong in my application- juicy rhythm sounds. no bones, gents-- just throwing out my experience!

v30's are different-- but to my ears, again, not good sounding speaks at all in my application. mids are wierdly recessed, too much top end fizz. ouch!

have you heard the eminence tonespotter or the gb128? to my ears-- those sort of fill that pocket you're talking about-- not bright, well defined bottom, juicy mids. those're where i shored up for my cabs, along with a g12t75 in the thiele for a little more bottom sponginess.

good luck!

d

• Members

Thanks!

It sounds like the EV's are the winner here. I'm worried that the V30's are just going to give an unnatural mid range and when someone mentions mushy bottom end and fuzzy high end...that's exactly what i'm trying to avoid. Haven't heard of tonespotters, heard of Ted Weber. Maybe i'll check him out see what he has to say.

How long will it take to break in a speaker to get the "good" tone out of it?

• Members

Recessed mids? V30's have some of the most mids of any guitar speaker.
:freak:

wow.. we have immensely different ears then! i guess i wonder what you're regarding as mids-- cause i just can't see it as a 'midrangey' speaker to my ears- it sounds almost distant to me! what i regard as 'midrange' is between about 2-400 hz and 2k, for guitar. when i listen to a v30-- all i hear is roughly sub 200, and above 1k. the frequencies are there, don't get me wrong.. but in wierd proportions-- it's definitely more of a 'soloist' or metal sorta deal than an even spectrum sort of speaker.

maybe that clears it up? maybe not..

Archived