ENGLS.....WHICH ONE?

Joeytpg

• Members

for me? why you ask? is the blackmore less metal?

The blackmore will do metal, but, i know a lot of guys who like it for mellower stuff as well. It is a versatile amp and can cover a lot of tonal ground. the savage and powerball are really mean sounding amps, it can be hard to tame their naturaly aggressive tones.

• Members

Depends on your style, what kind of music do you play? You havn't mentioned much about your playing.

To kind of sum things up:

Fireball and Powerball and pretty much beefy metal machines. They are tight and articulate and sound huge.

Savage is way more midrangy and much more versatile than the ones above. I think it is a good all around amp. Extremely modern sounding though.

Blackmore is a stripped down take on the Savage. Based off the same amp and has similar qualities. The Blackmore, however, is much more open sounding with a more vintage vibe. You could, however, still get sick metal sounds out of it.

The SE's are your top of the line, do it all type amp. Can do pretty much anything you need it to. If it had a vagina I'd easily dump my girlfriend for it. It is, however, expensive as {censored}.

And that is pretty much the run down on the upper tier of the Engl line. In terms of gain on tap, all of these amps have more gain than anyone could ever need. They are pretty badass.

• Members

Depends on your style, what kind of music do you play? You havn't mentioned much about your playing.

Fireball and Powerball and pretty much beefy metal machines. They are tight and articulate and sound huge.

Savage is way more midrangy and much more versatile than the ones above. I think it is a good all around amp. Extremely modern sounding though.

Blackmore is a stripped down take on the Savage. Based off the same amp and has similar qualities. The Blackmore, however, is much more open sounding with a more vintage vibe. You could, however, still get sick metal sounds out of it.

The SE's are your top of the line, do it all type amp. Can do pretty much anything you need it to. If it had a vagina I'd easily dump my girlfriend for it. It is, however, expensive as {censored}.

And that is pretty much the run down on the upper tier of the Engl line. In terms of gain on tap, all of these amps have more gain than anyone could ever need. They are pretty badass.

you left out the Invader models

• Members

you left out the Invader models

Oops, your right. I've never heard the Invaders so I wouldn't really know where to place them in the lineup. Someone else will need to chime in on this one.

BTW, I might add I own a Savage 120 and it is {censored}ing killer. Best amp I've played in its pricerange. Actually FalseRev's posts on some of my threads was what convinced me to buy. I hadn't heard alot of the other Engl's at that point. I have heard them since then, though, and still think I made the best choice with the Savage.

• Members
Oops, your right. I've never heard the Invaders so I wouldn't really know where to place them in the lineup. Someone else will need to chime in on this one.

BTW, I might add I own a Savage 120 and it is {censored}ing killer. Best amp I've played in its pricerange. Actually FalseRev's posts on some of my threads was what convinced me to buy. I hadn't heard alot of the other Engl's at that point. I have heard them since then, though, and still think I made the best choice with the Savage.

:thu:

every time i've played a Powerball, i've been kinda unimpressed/disappointed. first time i played a Savage 120, i was blown away and decided i had to buy one. got mine about 6 months later and i have no plans at all to sell it.

• Members

Personally I think that the Powerball and Fireball are more modern sounding than the Savage, that's why I like the savage better :)

• Members
:thu:

every time i've played a Powerball, i've been kinda unimpressed/disappointed. first time i played a Savage 120, i was blown away and decided i had to buy one. got mine about 6 months later and i have no plans at all to sell it.

I owned both for years and they aren't THAT different, I loved both BTW but slightly preferred the Powerball bevause it was just a little meaner sounding where the SAVAGE 120 was definately smoother. However my current SE does both on steroids.

• Members

Whats the savage like for cleans? How is it a lower volume settings (al la basement)

Haven't spent much time with cleans, so I won't comment on that, but for lower volumes it sounds awesome. Tons of gain on tap, so you can get a sweet tone without high volume.

Archived