The Sovtek 12AX7WC is a pretty neat tube.

Soulcrusher_X

• Members

I tried some in my Mark III the other day and 2 out of the 3 I put in there are still in there. They sound great in the first three spots V1-V3. They are really crunchy, but reasonably warm and articulate. They didn't have quite as much low end as most other preamp tubes I tried, though. I still prefer the Penta C9 12AX7 for V3 (lead channel) spot. Cleans sound really nice, not too bassy and a little shimmer on top. Can't beat them for the price, I'd say.

• Members

I have Sovtek 12AX7WCs in my Mesa Mark III as well! They have a really nice tone, both clean and lead.

I think they work awesome as I was trying to get more crunch out of the MKIII. It's a pretty dark amp and the WCs helped add some of that crunchiness to it. :) Plus, they seem to be pretty resistant to squealing and feedback.

• Members

I've bought a few because of the description James P. gave of them. I don't like them. Too little bass and sparkle and the gain is lacking to my ears. I like the wb version much better and that's not really my favourite tube to begin with.

Giga.

• Members

I've bought a few because of the description James P. gave of them. I don't like them. Too little bass and sparkle and the gain is lacking to my ears. I like the wb version much better and that's not really my favourite tube to begin with.

Giga.

Not enough gain compared to the WB? Not as much bass or sparkle? I think you got some duds. They're not "bassy" or "super high gain" or anything, but I don't see how that comparison applies if the tubes are working properly.

• Members

I've got one in V1 of my Quickrod, with 9th gens in 2 and 3. I like it.

Edit: oops, nevermind, I've got the WB.

Try one of the WCs. They have more gain and sound quite a bit richer compared to the WB I tried. I wish I had gotten the chance to try some of these in my QR. I bet I really would have liked them. The C9s were great in there, too.

• Members

Not enough gain compared to the WB? Not as much bass or sparkle? I think you got some duds. They're not "bassy" or "super high gain" or anything, but I don't see how that comparison applies if the tubes are working properly.

I think they have some of the best 'average' qualities in a preamp tube, just like the Chinese tubes. Not too much of one characteristic or the other.

• Members

Hmm, that's strange then; I've got 2, one is supposedly tested for V1 applications (noise and gain) and the other isn't. They both sound the same although the "V1" tube is indeed a little quieter noisewise.

Giga.

• Members

Try one of the WCs. They have more gain and sound quite a bit richer compared to the WB I tried.

Werd, that's my experience with them as well. James P. got me interested, so I picked one up and a/b'd it with a WB, a 9th gen Chinese, a Tung Sol reissue, a NOS JAN/Phillips 12ax7wa, and an EH 12ax7 ... the 9th gen & the WC were the best out of that lot for where I was trying them (the "boost" gain stage of my Speed Twin's od channel). I had previously replaced the EH I'd had in there with the WB for a more aggressive boost sound; the WC did all of the good things the WB had done (only more of them), but without the negative things (the WB had sounded a bit thinner & the high end was too "shiny," if that makes any sense; the WC corrected both problems) and with a richer sound overall. :thu:

• Members

Werd, that's my experience with them as well. James P. got me interested, so I picked one up and a/b'd it with a WB, a 9th gen Chinese, a Tung Sol reissue, a NOS JAN/Phillips 12ax7wa, and an EH 12ax7 ... the 9th gen & the WC were the best out of that lot for where I was trying them (the "boost" gain stage of my Speed Twin's od channel). I had previously replaced the EH I'd had in there with the WB for a more aggressive boost sound; the WC did all of the good things the WB had done (only more of them), but without the negative things (the WB had sounded a bit thinner & the high end was too "shiny," if that makes any sense; the WC corrected both problems) and with a richer sound overall.
:thu:

I got interested in them after warplane suggested them. He said James P also suggested them to him as well. From what I have heard, they are James' preamp tube of choice for most applications. I am now a believer. Two WCs, two C9s and an LPS is the preamp combination of choice for me in the MKIII. :)

• Members

those are one of the most crappiest preamp tubes available. very low gain.

The boost circuit in my Speed Twin must be amazing then, 'cuz when I dropped the WC in there, it definitely resulted in more gain than the WB, the Tung Sol, the EH, & the JAN/Phillips... :idk:

• Members

maybe that tube is stronger than your others?
:idea:
It's ok, you can have all the ones I don't use.

Lol, hey maybe the one that I got (and to be fair, I've only ever tried ONE of the WCs) is just "out there," compared to the majority of its brethren.

But if you've got extras yer givin' away, I'll pm you my address! :p

Archived