Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sovtek 12AX7WC is a pretty neat tube.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sovtek 12AX7WC is a pretty neat tube.

I tried some in my Mark III the other day and 2 out of the 3 I put in there are still in there. They sound great in the first three spots V1-V3. They are really crunchy, but reasonably warm and articulate. They didn't have quite as much low end as most other preamp tubes I tried, though. I still prefer the Penta C9 12AX7 for V3 (lead channel) spot. Cleans sound really nice, not too bassy and a little shimmer on top. Can't beat them for the price, I'd say.
    Les Paul CustomZhangbuckersHomebrew ampsGreenbacksBlackbacksAssorted Pedals

I have Sovtek 12AX7WCs in my Mesa Mark III as well! They have a really nice tone, both clean and lead.
    9,2,3 and TS9 of teh boosted midz club

Comment

I have Sovtek 12AX7WCs in my Mesa Mark III as well! They have a really nice tone, both clean and lead.

I think they work awesome as I was trying to get more crunch out of the MKIII. It's a pretty dark amp and the WCs helped add some of that crunchiness to it. Plus, they seem to be pretty resistant to squealing and feedback.

Comment

dont' tell jaytee123.

he'll blow a gasket
        HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

I've got one in V1 of my Quickrod, with 9th gens in 2 and 3. I like it.

Edit: oops, nevermind, I've got the WB.
          Maps
          Orange Rockerverb 50
          Mesa 4x12
          Peavey Blues Classic 50
          Guitars
          ESP Ronnie Wood Tele
          Fender USA Strat
          Ibanez AF105f
          Larrivee D-03WL
          FX
          Fulltone OCD
          MXR Carbon Copy

Comment

dont' tell JayT123.

he'll blow a gasket

Heh. Why? Is he a non-believer?

Comment

Heh. Why? Is he a non-believer?

he hates teh sovteks
              HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

Not a fan of their power tubes but their preamp tubes are aaight.
                Good transactions: Metalcore5150, Shiny_Surface, Cyndicate (2x), putnut77, Erock503, Joejpiano, guitar_manic, BrokenFusion, rbasaria, guitarslinger

VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!

Comment

he hates teh sovteks

Well, that leaves more for everyone else.

Comment

I've bought a few because of the description James P. gave of them. I don't like them. Too little bass and sparkle and the gain is lacking to my ears. I like the wb version much better and that's not really my favourite tube to begin with.

Giga.

Comment

I've bought a few because of the description James P. gave of them. I don't like them. Too little bass and sparkle and the gain is lacking to my ears. I like the wb version much better and that's not really my favourite tube to begin with.

Giga.

Not enough gain compared to the WB? Not as much bass or sparkle? I think you got some duds. They're not "bassy" or "super high gain" or anything, but I don't see how that comparison applies if the tubes are working properly.
                      http://www.petersamplification.com

Comment

I've got one in V1 of my Quickrod, with 9th gens in 2 and 3. I like it.

Edit: oops, nevermind, I've got the WB.

Try one of the WCs. They have more gain and sound quite a bit richer compared to the WB I tried. I wish I had gotten the chance to try some of these in my QR. I bet I really would have liked them. The C9s were great in there, too.

Comment

Not enough gain compared to the WB? Not as much bass or sparkle? I think you got some duds. They're not "bassy" or "super high gain" or anything, but I don't see how that comparison applies if the tubes are working properly.

I think they have some of the best 'average' qualities in a preamp tube, just like the Chinese tubes. Not too much of one characteristic or the other.

Comment

Hmm, that's strange then; I've got 2, one is supposedly tested for V1 applications (noise and gain) and the other isn't. They both sound the same although the "V1" tube is indeed a little quieter noisewise.

Giga.

Comment

That's one of the two sovtek 12AX7s I've never tried (other being the 12AX7LP), because of the lack of information from the places I buy from.

I might buy some for my mark II

Comment

Working...
                              X