Fender Twin Reverb VS. Fender Hot Rod deville

aeccoin

• Members

I'm looking into buying a Fender Twin Reverb (reissue or not) or a Hot Rod Deville (probably 2x12 but 4x10 optional). Not quite sure what the major differences would be and I need some help. I'm really looking for something super clean and warm sounding as I've got a Mesa Dual Rec for the dirt. I know how hard it is to compare all this and it's essentially up to my preference in tone but I'd like ANY advice possible. Some of the cleaner tones I'm looking for these artists cleans from one of the mentioned amps. I know some of them don't even use fenders but I'd like to know which can get me close to them.

the cure (I know he uses ampeg vl-503's)

Radiohead (not after a vox anymore..)

Interpol

The Stills

Jeff Buckley

Echo & The bunnymen

The Shins

The Arcade Fire

Wondering if it's worth it to get a vintage Twin Reverb or whether a RI would do the job. Plus the deville comparison as well... Much thanks

Setup: Fender AM STD Telecaster

Gibson STD SG

Mesa Dual Rectifier

Marshall JCM900 50w

• Members

Twin Reverb is what you want. I have a 1975 Silverface and I love it. Tons

of headroom and fantastic reverb combine to give you a sound so big it's almost like you could get lost in it. Great amps.

My best advice is play them both before you buy and let YOUR ear decide

for you.

• Members

IMO, the clean sound on the Twin is a lot warmer than the clean on any of the Hot Rods (though they are obviously a lot cheaper)

I'm pretty sure Will Sergeant from the Bunnymen used a Twin but you'll have to remember that you will have to crank it quite a lot to get that characteristic overdriven sound out of it.

+1 to the advice above about trying the amps out, preferably with your own guitar and maybe a few of your pedals too if poss.

• Members

the hotrod was a flop IMO. The cleans weren't nearly as good as the twins/bassman/blues deville and the overdrive wasn't as good as one of the aforementioned fender amps with a good overdrive pedal.

I suffered through a gig with one and I hated it. Flabby useless overdrive and a clean channel that disgraced the fender name.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

hmmm..interesting..i have a hot rod deville..it's 2x12... love the clean channel...it's perfect clean..i dont use the drive channel..im a pedal guy...which is perfect because the deville is very pedal friendly...

• Members

A Twin Reverb will cop every sound you listed in some fashion, though a pedal or two may be necessary. I bought a silverface a couple of years ago for $500 and am really glad I didn't settle for a Deville.

Save up for a Twin. You'll like it more and a vintage piece will hold its value...

• Members

I'm looking into buying a Fender Twin Reverb (reissue or not) or a Hot Rod Deville (probably 2x12 but 4x10 optional). Not quite sure what the major differences would be and I need some help. I'm really looking for something super clean and warm sounding as I've got a Mesa Dual Rec for the dirt. I know how hard it is to compare all this and it's essentially up to my preference in tone but I'd like ANY advice possible. Some of the cleaner tones I'm looking for these artists cleans from one of the mentioned amps. I know some of them don't even use fenders but I'd like to know which can get me close to them.

the cure
(I know he uses ampeg vl-503's)

Radiohead
(not after a vox anymore..)

Interpol

The Stills

Jeff Buckley

Echo & The bunnymen

The Shins

The Arcade Fire

Wondering if it's worth it to get a vintage Twin Reverb or whether a RI would do the job. Plus the deville comparison as well... Much thanks

Setup: Fender AM STD Telecaster

Gibson STD SG

Mesa Dual Rectifier

Marshall JCM900 50w

Doesn't Jeff Buckley use a Mesa DR Tremoverb for cleans and dirty. It would give you all the dirt from your DR, plus a fantastic clean channel, and mean not having to lug a big ass combo plus a half-stack to gigs. :idea:

I love the clean tones my T-Verb gives, and it has huge balls in the gain dept.

Archived