Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin Reverb VS. Fender Hot Rod deville

I'm looking into buying a Fender Twin Reverb (reissue or not) or a Hot Rod Deville (probably 2x12 but 4x10 optional). Not quite sure what the major differences would be and I need some help. I'm really looking for something super clean and warm sounding as I've got a Mesa Dual Rec for the dirt. I know how hard it is to compare all this and it's essentially up to my preference in tone but I'd like ANY advice possible. Some of the cleaner tones I'm looking for these artists cleans from one of the mentioned amps. I know some of them don't even use fenders but I'd like to know which can get me close to them.

the cure (I know he uses ampeg vl-503's)
    Radiohead (not after a vox anymore..)
    Interpol
    The Stills
    Jeff Buckley
    Echo & The bunnymen
    The Shins
    The Arcade Fire

Wondering if it's worth it to get a vintage Twin Reverb or whether a RI would do the job. Plus the deville comparison as well... Much thanks

Setup: Fender AM STD Telecaster
    Gibson STD SG
    Mesa Dual Rectifier
    Marshall JCM900 50w

Twin Reverb is what you want. I have a 1975 Silverface and I love it. Tons
    of headroom and fantastic reverb combine to give you a sound so big it's almost like you could get lost in it. Great amps.

My best advice is play them both before you buy and let YOUR ear decide
    for you.
    Originally Posted by isvoid

I approve of this thread. Marshallmel ur a ****************ing legend.

Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti

If that's your mom, I wanna do my one-stick rendition of "Moby Dick" on her fun bags.

Originally Posted by Pepi

This thread makes me want to suck a big fat cock

Originally Posted by BerkleeBill

Rick Santorum: a frothy mixture of ****************ing stupid and bat**************** crazy that is sometimes the byproduct of being a Republican.

Comment

IMO, the clean sound on the Twin is a lot warmer than the clean on any of the Hot Rods (though they are obviously a lot cheaper)

I'm pretty sure Will Sergeant from the Bunnymen used a Twin but you'll have to remember that you will have to crank it quite a lot to get that characteristic overdriven sound out of it.

+1 to the advice above about trying the amps out, preferably with your own guitar and maybe a few of your pedals too if poss.

Comment

the hotrod was a flop IMO. The cleans weren't nearly as good as the twins/bassman/blues deville and the overdrive wasn't as good as one of the aforementioned fender amps with a good overdrive pedal.

I suffered through a gig with one and I hated it. Flabby useless overdrive and a clean channel that disgraced the fender name.
        Guitars
        Tokai LS150 - Sheptone Bryan Kahaek Signature pickups - Mystic Dream MM JP6 - G&L Comanche

Amps - Cabs
        Splawn "MUFASA" Nitro - Mako MAK4 Preamp - Jet City 100H w/JJ KT66's, 22H & Pico Valve - Whitebox Engineering 2x12, PortCity OS212 - Splawn 4X12

Kemper Profiling Amp - u mad?

Visit my music page

Watch my amp demo videos on Youtube

Member of the Jet Setters

Comment

hmmm..interesting..i have a hot rod deville..it's 2x12... love the clean channel...it's perfect clean..i dont use the drive channel..im a pedal guy...which is perfect because the deville is very pedal friendly...
          What matters doesn't matter, but if it matters, it still doesnt matter.... JNJ

The Hot Rod Owner's Club

Comment

A Twin Reverb will cop every sound you listed in some fashion, though a pedal or two may be necessary. I bought a silverface a couple of years ago for $500 and am really glad I didn't settle for a Deville.

Save up for a Twin. You'll like it more and a vintage piece will hold its value...
            http://www.thestillcity.com
            http://www.myspace.com/thestillcity

Comment

I'm looking into buying a Fender Twin Reverb (reissue or not) or a Hot Rod Deville (probably 2x12 but 4x10 optional). Not quite sure what the major differences would be and I need some help. I'm really looking for something super clean and warm sounding as I've got a Mesa Dual Rec for the dirt. I know how hard it is to compare all this and it's essentially up to my preference in tone but I'd like ANY advice possible. Some of the cleaner tones I'm looking for these artists cleans from one of the mentioned amps. I know some of them don't even use fenders but I'd like to know which can get me close to them.

the cure (I know he uses ampeg vl-503's)
              Radiohead (not after a vox anymore..)
              Interpol
              The Stills
              Jeff Buckley
              Echo & The bunnymen
              The Shins
              The Arcade Fire

Wondering if it's worth it to get a vintage Twin Reverb or whether a RI would do the job. Plus the deville comparison as well... Much thanks

Setup: Fender AM STD Telecaster
              Gibson STD SG
              Mesa Dual Rectifier
              Marshall JCM900 50w

Doesn't Jeff Buckley use a Mesa DR Tremoverb for cleans and dirty. It would give you all the dirt from your DR, plus a fantastic clean channel, and mean not having to lug a big ass combo plus a half-stack to gigs.

I love the clean tones my T-Verb gives, and it has huge balls in the gain dept.
              Originally Posted by LoopQuantumIt would never work. You're in outerspace, and breathing is a bitch.Originally Posted by BrendanOThere is something very wrong with a situation when I'd rather sleep with the naked cowboy.Vice President o' teh boosted midz clubGreat deals with; ENdtime, OverDriven, outforblood

Comment

Working...
              X